Menu

Rod and Staff Spelling questions

LadyR

We're using Rod and Staff Spelling 4 this year and I'm trying to figure out how to schedule and teach the lessons. It looks like the workbook lessons would only take one day per lesson to complete, but is that enough to really learn all the spelling words? Do you give a pre-test or do anything more to study the words?

That'd be too much work to cram into one day for my kids. I assign each section to a particular day of the week, so a sample week from the grade 4 book may look like this.

Day 1: pretest if you want to do one, section A

Day 2: section B

Day 3: practice test

Day 4: section C, and that little connections bit at the end of it

Day 5: final test

After taking a closer look, I do agree with you. It would be too much work for my ds to do one whole lesson in one day. (I actually used R&S Spelling for my dd many years ago, but could not remember how I scheduled it!) I like your 5 day schedule and will also follow that. Thank you!

That'd be too much work to cram into one day for my kids. I assign each section to a particular day of the week, so a sample week from the grade 4 book may look like this.

:iagree:

I do this as well, but for my final test I put the words in dictation form. I put as many words into 2-3 sentences as I can using the pretest words dd got incorrect.

I started R&S 4 w/my dd this year. We do similar to the 5 day schedule above. But for the test, I test on the words, and then I add in some of her Latin vocabulary words and then do dictation from science or history that week. So she is getting a little test from each subject all at once. So far so good, although we are only on lesson 3. The spelling words themselves are super easy right now. It may change as the words pick up later.