Menu

update on Mathcounts from HSLDA

MATHCOUNTS Reinstates Homeschool Teams for Upcoming Year

August 23, 2010

On Tuesday, August 17, MATHCOUNTS, a prestigious foundation dedicated to the encouragement of math among middle school students, announced a ban on homeschoolers competing as teams.

Banning homeschool teams from the annual competition program was a shock to the homeschool community because MATHCOUNTS had allowed homeschoolers to compete as teams for the past 20 years.

HSLDA, as well as many homeschoolers, contacted MATHCOUNTS to express our concerns about the new policy.

After a phone conversation between HSLDA and MATHCOUNTS, an agreement was reached to have a face-to-face meeting on Friday, August 20. The main result of the meeting was a temporary change in policy which allows homeschool teams who participated in last year’s competition to be grandfathered in and allowed to compete again in this year’s program.

This is a welcome change, because many homeschool teams are already busy preparing for this year’s competition. HSLDA appreciates the quick response from MATHCOUNTS.

It should be noted that MATHCOUNTS does not intend to discriminate against homeschoolers. However, the organization faced a growing number of problems that caused difficulties for its program.

We understand that the revised policy does limit some homeschoolers, but MATHCOUNTS has committed to work with HSLDA, and homeschoolers, to find a long-term solution to this problem.

We can assure you that MATHCOUNTS has heard your concerns and is willing to make a good faith effort to reach a solution which is fair to everyone. At this time we do not believe it is necessary to make any more phone calls to MATHCOUNTS.

HSLDA appreciates and applauds MATHCOUNTS’ work in creating a fun way to get students involved in math. We have heard many stories of students beginning to enjoy math and wanting to further their studies in math due to their involvement in a MATHCOUNTS competition.

It is our hope that by working closely with MATHCOUNTS over the next few months we will be able to achieve an equitable outcome for homeschoolers.

For more information on MATHCOUNTS’ change, please see their most recent statement.

Unfortunately, this does nothing to help any homeschooled kid who's eligible to do Mathcounts this year for the first time. Basically this new decision just grandfathered existing teams. As they age out, does that mean that hoemschooled teams will be completely banned again in a couple of years?

Unfortunately, this does nothing to help any homeschooled kid who's eligible to do Mathcounts this year for the first time. Basically this new decision just grandfathered existing teams. As they age out, does that mean that hoemschooled teams will be completely banned again in a couple of years?

It says in the OP that they will be working on a way to include homeschoolers in future competitions (a "long-term solution.") It sounds like they just couldn't get anything in place in time for this year.

It is a shame they took this tack. Our local homeschool math team, which does very well in the team competition against STEM magnet schools, decided to split into two clubs, partially because of size and partially because of geography. The spin-off club, which has many of the top-performing members (including several who went to the state competition) will not be allowed to compete as a team this year. Due to the arrangement of our regional competitions, 3 of the top 5 teams in our state (2 of which are magnet/gifted schools) are in our region. This means it is highly unlikely that any of these kids will go on to the state competition as individuals (the region can only send the top two individuals.)

Although I don't have any children in this (my oldest is too busy for it and my middle child cannot be convinced that "math" and "club" is not an oxymoron) I am saddened that many of my friends' children will be affected.

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
clarity

It is a shame they took this tack. Our local homeschool math team, which does very well in the team competition against STEM magnet schools, decided to split into two clubs, partially because of size and partially because of geography. The spin-off club, which has many of the top-performing members (including several who went to the state competition) will not be allowed to compete as a team this year. Due to the arrangement of our regional competitions, 3 of the top 5 teams in our state (2 of which are magnet/gifted schools) are in our region. This means it is highly unlikely that any of these kids will go on to the state competition as individuals (the region can only send the top two individuals.)

Although I don't have any children in this (my oldest is too busy for it and my middle child cannot be convinced that "math" and "club" is not an oxymoron) I am saddened that many of my friends' children will be affected.

:iagree::iagree: Ii think it's a poor solution.

Oh boy.. If the US MATHcount is no longer allowing homeschoolers, my chances to deal with the Quebec equivalent, where homeschoolers are shunned everywhere are NIL...

How disappointing...

They do allow individuals who are homeschooled, but they ban is for homeschool teams in the team competition. Since only a small number of individuals are selected to advance further, the team competition is how many more can become involved.