Menu

After Lively Latin 2

Medieval Mom

If you plan to use Lively Latin 1 & 2, what are you planning after you complete these two programs? The author of Lively Latin considers Books 1+2 to be the equivalent of one year of high school Latin. At this point, what are the options?

(We're not there yet, but I'm taking the advice of using these years to brush up on MY Latin. I'd like to go through the program that we plan on using for high school, so that I am familiar with the material before dc begin.)

I am aware of these options:

Henle (would you begin with Henle 1?)

Wheelock's (which I used in college :) )

Ecce Romani (more middle school level?)

Cambridge

Oxford

Go right on to readings?

What are YOU considering? :bigear:

I'm assuming your son will be 10 or 11 at the end of BB2.

Henle (would you begin with Henle 1?)

I find this dry.

Wheelock's (which I used in college :) )

Not my first choice for a 10 or 11 yo, though I know some here do it.

Cambridge

This is a possibility. We're doing this in conjunction with Latin Prep. DD the Elder loves the readings.

Go right on to readings?

No, BB2 will not be sufficient.

Consider adding Latin Prep 1 to BB2, primarily for the English to Latin work, and extra Latin translations. There are also a few grammar points I don't believe are covered in BB2 (dative of the possessor comes to mind). You could also zip through LP1 after BB2. Then:

LP2 (some of the hard vocab work in LP2 will have been done in BB2)

LP3

So You Really Want to Learn Latin 3

Latin Prep is highly engaging, yet challenging. It's the closest to an ideal Latin program I've found for 5th/6th grade.

I'm assuming your son will be 10 or 11 at the end of BB2.

This is a reasonable assumption. *If* we decide to go with Lively Latin, we'd begin at age 8. If we stretched Lively Latin 1 over 2 years and Lively Latin 2 over 3 years, we'd finish around the age 13. (Is this impossibly slow? I read somewhere of students working 1-2 pages per day. Big Book 1 is 400 p., Big Book 2 is 600 p., so at the rate of 200 pages per year, it'd take 5 years for both books. Whew!)

On the other hand, if I get frustrated by SSL and order Lively Latin now for second, and progressed through them both in 2-3 years, we'd be done by age 10. :D

I guess the best estimate is 10-13. :lol: