Menu

My early reader is bored with HOP

give_me_a_latte

My son will be four this Fall. He's half way through the Kinder level of HOP and oh my gosh...it is like pulling teeth to get him to do a lesson. I truly think he's bored. He can read the new material just fine after hearing/seeing it once. It's the repetition that's getting to him. Today I just did the DVD clip and skipped through the lesson to the end where he got to read a story (and he read it just fine, the little stinker!). Short of hitting fast forward on the rest of the curriculum, does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone found a way to spice up HOP?

We have an older edition of HOP and I've just had my K5er practice reading the stories in the workbook and the readers. I also have him reading BOB books and I help him with easy readers. With those, I either tell him the sound of the advanced phoneme so that he can sound out the word or I just tell him the word.

Now that I'm on my 2nd go-round teaching a child to read, I think the key is practice, practice, practice. If he finds actual stories more engaging than word lists, by all means use the former and skip the latter.

Once my dd (now 5yo) could read even a little, I just let her pick her own books from the library (though I helped). I didn't see the point in forcing her to read something boring to her when I was teaching her to read so she could find joy in it. Each day, I had a pile of books for her to choose from, many of which she chose at the library.

Thanks!! My teen and I both learned to read without any program or curriculum, so I don't know why I feel the need to use one with him. I think I will lay off the repetitive word lists for now and just let him go through the readers at his own pace. It's obvious we can't keep going the way we are or I'll squash his love of reading.

I'm so glad you posted this...because just on Friday my K5er wasn't listening, focusing or anything on reading...it was the repetativeness that was getting her frustrated. She would read the new words but when it came to the review pages she'd get unfocused, bored and fussy. So I went straight to the new words pages, the new workbook stories and the HOP books in order and she would do it! She's rather repeat the stories in the workbook and the HOP books rather than do the review pages. However with my oldest dd she loved AND needed the review pages just as much as she needed the books and stories. Def. an eye opener for us! I though both would learn to read the same..what planet was I on???? I LOVE HOP but was about to give it up just this week because of the frustration...but once I figured out what the problem was it made perfect sense to me! Today instead of doing the review pages..we're doing a HOP book and new words along with some word games.

I'm so glad you posted this...because just on Friday my K5er wasn't listening, focusing or anything on reading...it was the repetativeness that was getting her frustrated. She would read the new words but when it came to the review pages she'd get unfocused, bored and fussy.

YES! That's exactly how my son would act! I knew it wasn't that the material was too hard, because he could read the words on the DVD before they even said them!

I found this site: http://www.fcrr.org/curriculum/SCAindex.shtm in some old threads and it has lots of games and activities for reading/phonics. I'm going to add those in as well.

Blend Phonics, free from Don Potter. At that age, I recommend writing the words out on the white board.

The words are nicely arranged in groups by sound/spelling pattern so you can do as few or as many of each type as you need.

My game (also free) now has little numbers on the bottom corresponding to the Blend Phonics lessons (BP 1 corresponds to unit 1 of Blend Phonics) so you can add in a bit of fun.

Guest TheBugsMom

I find once they get the "code" to read and a few sight words under their belt they are bored with the controlled readers. As soon as I knew my kids had that "click" happen in their heads I let them pick anything they wanted to read (some of their choices were an eye opener). Formal phonics reading was then dropped. I would keep a white board nearby and write words they were having trouble with. After they finished reading we would look at the words and learn any phonics they needed to know. I would write the words in their notebook (or have them write them) and we would go over them the next day.