Menu

Are the little "pegs" we're creating strong enough?

How's that for a title to take and run with over on the General Board?

Anywho, in all seriousness~for our K science and history I was hoping for some opinions. I've read on here for awhile now - science and history in the younger years are just gravy. I'm feeling like ours is pretty water-y gravy, though. :tongue_smilie:

History - we're doing Galloping the Globe. I've read about how this was such a great year when people did it with their kids. Don't get me wrong, it's fun, but it's nothing to write home about. We pick a country, read a book (really just picking out the main, main, main facts), watch a Youtube video that tries to show the culture, the climate, dress, music, landscape, etc. and then the kids color a flag of the country. We mark it on our Sonlight map on the wall. The good - my son has learned all 7 continents and can point them out on the map. (Most of the time.) If I ask him where the countries are that we've studied, he can point most of those out, as well. The "eh" - what he got when we studied South Korea was that the people like to eat rice. So, if we complete this year with him knowing the continents, where some countries are, and able to recognize a few flags, is that a successful year?

Science - we're trying to follow WTM 1st grade recs. We're doing animals right now. We read a book on the animal and then he tells me what he remembers and then draws (an adorable!) picture. I mean, sounds good on paper, right? Today he told me that horses eat grass, drink lots of water, help on farms, and shoo flies with their tails. Is that the kind of info. I'm looking for him to gather from this kind of study?

If we're on the right track, I am fine with what we are doing. We are all enjoying it and it doesn't take much time. I just want to make sure that *I* am not missing something and should be doing something differently, probing for different answers, etc. I mean this is just K, right?

Right? Anyone? Bueller? ;)

Funny, I've been wondering the same thing. How do I know we're doing what we should be focusing on? What should they be learning and retaining? Exactly how well should they be writing, speaking, etc. in order to be considered "doing a good job"? Etc., etc. That question doesn't go away. It helps if you know where you want to end up (*the end goal*). It helps to know that you're building memories most of all (when he looks back at his K year, he might not remember horses or continents, but he will remember Mom spending time with him). And it helps to know that when we have that kind of relationship with our kids all the way through schooling, this is what they take with them - this is what is important. I hear stories all the time about kids that had half the education my kids are getting, but they came from a good home, loving parents, and had lots of room to explore. They go on to college and do wonderfully. I store those stories up in my head and think about them on days like today, when I kept asking myself "why on earth are we doing this?" and "am I even making a difference, here?"

So, if we complete this year with him knowing the continents, where some countries are, and able to recognize a few flags, is that a successful year?

If we consider how many adults don't know those things, then yes :) At the very least, it will now occur to him to wonder where a place is; and that is a mighty fine foundation to learning some more.

If we're on the right track, I am fine with what we are doing. We are all enjoying it and it doesn't take much time. I just want to make sure that *I* am not missing something and should be doing something differently, probing for different answers, etc. I mean this is just K, right?

Yup!

He is learning that these topics are worth bothering with. There aren't many more important things for a child to learn than interest.

Rosie

How's that for a title to take and run with over on the General Board?

Anywho, in all seriousness~for our K science and history I was hoping for some opinions. I've read on here for awhile now - science and history in the younger years are just gravy. I'm feeling like ours is pretty water-y gravy, though. :tongue_smilie:

History - we're doing Galloping the Globe. I've read about how this was such a great year when people did it with their kids. Don't get me wrong, it's fun, but it's nothing to write home about. We pick a country, read a book (really just picking out the main, main, main facts), watch a Youtube video that tries to show the culture, the climate, dress, music, landscape, etc. and then the kids color a flag of the country. We mark it on our Sonlight map on the wall. The good - my son has learned all 7 continents and can point them out on the map. (Most of the time.) If I ask him where the countries are that we've studied, he can point most of those out, as well. The "eh" - what he got when we studied South Korea was that the people like to eat rice. So, if we complete this year with him knowing the continents, where some countries are, and able to recognize a few flags, is that a successful year?

Science - we're trying to follow WTM 1st grade recs. We're doing animals right now. We read a book on the animal and then he tells me what he remembers and then draws (an adorable!) picture. I mean, sounds good on paper, right? Today he told me that horses eat grass, drink lots of water, help on farms, and shoo flies with their tails. Is that the kind of info. I'm looking for him to gather from this kind of study?

Right? Anyone? Bueller? ;)

I think you are doing wonderfully :001_smile:.

Funny, I've been wondering the same thing. How do I know we're doing what we should be focusing on? What should they be learning and retaining? Exactly how well should they be writing, speaking, etc. in order to be considered "doing a good job"? Etc., etc. That question doesn't go away. It helps if you know where you want to end up (*the end goal*). It helps to know that you're building memories most of all (when he looks back at his K year, he might not remember horses or continents, but he will remember Mom spending time with him). And it helps to know that when we have that kind of relationship with our kids all the way through schooling, this is what they take with them - this is what is important. I hear stories all the time about kids that had half the education my kids are getting, but they came from a good home, loving parents, and had lots of room to explore. They go on to college and do wonderfully. I store those stories up in my head and think about them on days like today, when I kept asking myself "why on earth are we doing this?" and "am I even making a difference, here?"

If we consider how many adults don't know those things, then yes :) At the very least, it will now occur to him to wonder where a place is; and that is a mighty fine foundation to learning some more.

Yup!

He is learning that these topics are worth bothering with. There aren't many more important things for a child to learn than interest.

Rosie

Wise, wise words, ladies. Thank you all for the encouragement!

Honestly, if we get to the history rotation a second time and DD can remember anything from the grammar stage, I'll be happy.

The whole making pegs theory is one that really makes sense for me, even as an adult. It actually is how my brain works. I can learn something new in one of my classes, and automatically recall old information about similar topics, which helps remember the new stuff. It gives a foundation.

So, with the geography example. He's learned the continents and some countries (and like someone else said, that is more than some adults!!), but he is also learning that people in other places live differently. So, right now he knows that people in Korea eat rice. But soon he'll learn that rice is grown in the hot climates, and then he'll realize that people in Korea eat rice because that is what they have, which could lead to a discussion about how some people don't get to go to the grocery store and pick out what they want, but have to grow everything on their own. It's a building process.

I think what you are doing sounds perfect. You are exposing him to a wide range of topics and giving an introduction, and later he'll have the abilities to explore more in depth.

Thanks, Kymmie! I think this whole "peg" thing is starting to make more sense now, now that I am living it.

I guess you all are right about knowing where the countries are at - 2 out of 4 countries that we've studied I thought were somewhere else on the map. :001_huh: :lol:

Hi Monica and all,

I hear you. We decided to go with a virtual academy-one that lets you choose your own curricula. Not advocating this for others, by the way, just to say that I feel good about having a little hand-holding and direction. It is helping me to relax and enjoy.

I got a really nice science book. I think I tend to be a little intense educationally, and my husband is more laid-back. He helps me not to overdo it.

The science book I got was a K-1 science activity book with simple information about seasons, the body, safety, different types of animals and trees. I am loving it and actually planning to make copies for our three year old too. (The book says its ok to photocopy).

I think I can use it as a spine, and check out other books that tell more about those simple topics.

I am so happy to be able to teach my own kids and have them at home.

Best,

Jenny

Thanks, Kymmie! I think this whole "peg" thing is starting to make more sense now, now that I am living it.

I guess you all are right about knowing where the countries are at - 2 out of 4 countries that we've studied I thought were somewhere else on the map. :001_huh: :lol:

I think it automatically made so much sense to me because I am still in school and actively using my "pegs". It really does make a huge difference when you are living it instead of just reading/hearing about it.

The sad thing is... I know more about world geography than I do about where the states are! I'm more likely to locate a country than a state. :tongue_smilie:

(As a side note... we are doing Galloping the Globe this winter also! :D)

If you all are enjoying yourselves, you ARE on the right track. Little ones are in the sponge stage of life when learning is fun and exciting. Your job is to surround them with interesting books, games and materials in order to feed their minds, and, most importantly, simply share in their joy of learning.

I spent the early years -- up to ages 8 or 9, really, only doing math, handwriting and spelling for school. Everything else was simply reading together and exploring interests. I'm not saying this is how everyone should approach school, but it worked quite well for us in that I have teens who read well, have a well-rounded base of knowledge, and I have many fond memories of our early homeschooling years. Those "pegs" have served them very well, thank you very much!

You really are doing fine.

For geography, what your dc is doing is perfect! As for science, that is what many people do, and they are quite happy with it. For me, I felt like science should be more, which is why we switched to BFSU. Our whole family loves the lessons, and dd5 retains so much from them.

Yup!

Rosie

Rosie, you're one of my heroes. Can I live next door to you? My brother lives in Canberra - is that near you?

Rosie, you're one of my heroes. Can I live next door to you? My brother lives in Canberra - is that near you?

The word "near" is relative, isn't it? Compared to southern California, it is.

Canberra is about seven or eight hours away. Why live in Canberra? It's cold and full of public servants :confused: (Or is he a public servant? :lol:)

But I'm not so impressive in real life. Or those around me don't appreciate genius when they see it. :lol:

Rosie

:lol:

The word "near" is relative, isn't it? Compared to southern California, it is.

Canberra is about seven or eight hours away. Why live in Canberra? It's cold and full of public servants :confused: (Or is he a public servant? :lol:)

But I'm not so impressive in real life. Or those around me don't appreciate genius when they see it. :lol:

Rosie

Bwa ha! Yes, he's a police officer! Funny, but I just listened to the Bill Bryson book In a Sunburned Country, about Australia, and in it he is...well...less than complimentary about Canberra. :lol:

Bwa ha! Yes, he's a police officer!

Phew, my opinion of him has just gone up. :lol:

Funny, but I just listened to the Bill Bryson book In a Sunburned Country, about Australia, and in it he is...well...less than complimentary about Canberra. :lol:
So is everyone else, including most of the people who live in Canberra :D

It's actually a very pretty place and has the national museum of everything we have a museum for, so half the attractions are free. Great place to visit unless a) it is for a school trip, or b) your relatives live there. You wouldn't want to live there though. You can't find a cheap meal anywhere in town after 6pm and it is easier to walk everywhere than figure out the stupid road system. Look at a map of any town in the country and you can pick the ones Walter Burley Griffin planned. They are all stupid in the same way.

Oops. Sorry for the hijack. Now you know what to say, OP, if your dd asks about Canberra!

Rosie