Menu

HSBC & Math Mammoth questions

LarlaB

Two questions. :)

First, how can you tell how many items of a group have already been purchased at discount? Every single Math Mammoth set/combo offered has 85 ordered (at 40% discount). Is that simply the 'maxxed out' number or am I missing something? I've never been part of a group buy there, so have no idea- LOL

Secondly. I'm looking at the Math Mammoth All Inclusive set (Blue, Light Blue, Green & Orange)- just to buy it all and be done- LOL. If I understand correctly, Blue & Light Blue cover the same material, just organized differently. Is that correct? Is it silly to think that we could utilize both? DD prefers to really stick w/ a specific topic for mastery, but then other times wants to learn a new 'concept'. Yet, the individual blue series books are so inexpensive that maybe I should buy them on an individual basis. Thoughts?

Thanks for the help!!!! :)

Laura

I don't know about the group buy, but i can answer another question. The blue and light blue are basically the same, but for different uses. The light blue series is the full year of math curriculum. The blue series is basically different topics you can get if your dc needs extra help or practice in a specific area. Like you might buy just the section on money or time. MM does work towards mastery. It says on a topic long enough for kids to "get it". If they don't, the light blue series comes with extra worksheets you can print if they need more practice. If you are using it as your main math curriculum, you really only need the light blue series.

Not sure about the programs but I can help a little on the group buy thing. The 85 is how many have purchased it so far. Nothing for you to be worried about, some programs like MM have a tiered discount level, so ...

if 1-20 members buy in the discount is 20%

if 21-49 members buy in the discount is 30%

and if > 50+ members buy in the discount is 40%

HSBC has already reached the highest discount level, so if it's something you want it buy, go ahead and go for it. There is no limit on the number than can purchase it, if there was then it would state that and they would pull the group buy when that number was reached.

I had a similar question just the other day (at that time the amount of buyers was 71)....I had never done a group buy either and I wondered why every single package was saying 71. Here's their reply:

"Thank you for your inquiry. The Mammoth math order says 71 are currently ordered as this offer contract stipulates that we need to have a total volume of all products together before lowering the prices. In this case, we've had 71 units purchased from this entire group buy. And yes, the price is already at the lowest price so you're in luck!"

So, it doesn't mean that 71 (now 85) people ordered Blue and 71 people ordered Light Blue, etc (I was thinking that would be weird...what are the odds?? :lol:).

I also wondered if I should just get the All Inclusive Package.....but the Green and the Gold have no teaching instruction at all; so I figured those would be a waste for me then. Also, the Blue is supposed to be pretty much the same worksheets as Light Blue. And, the Blue don't have the reviews, tests. So, I went with the Light Blue on CD. I figured the money I saved by not going with the All Inclusive is about $35.......I can put that money toward some printer ink. :001_smile:

I was confused about the group buy too, but what I finally figured out is that they are counting a purchase of any of the MM products toward the total purchased, not the number purchased of each individual product. Which means all of them have reached the max 40% off. Yay! (I am one of the 85 :D).

As far as what to buy, I was really tempted to buy the complete package too, as reasonable as it is. But I really couldn't justify the duplication. We plan to use MM as our main math program, so I am buying the light blue. If we were using MM to supplement another program, I would have bought the Blue instead.

If I understand correctly, Blue & Light Blue cover the same material, just organized differently. Is that correct? Is it silly to think that we could utilize both? DD prefers to really stick w/ a specific topic for mastery, but then other times wants to learn a new 'concept'. Yet, the individual blue series books are so inexpensive that maybe I should buy them on an individual basis. Thoughts?

There's really no point in buying both — you just get two copies of everything. For example, if you were working through the subtraction chapters in the Light Bue 2b book, and you decided to pull some pages from the Blue series Clock book for a change of pace, then when you get to the clock chapter in MM2, you would have already done the worksheets! If you want to mix it up a little, just generate a few review sheets on a previous topic (using the free software), or go ahead and do a few pages from a future chapter in your Light Blue book.

The Green & Gold worksheets are just pages of practice problems with no "teaching," which Maria originally wrote to use with students she was tutoring (so she was doing the "teaching part" in person).

Jackie