Menu

Does anyone want an extra 13yo boy for awhile?

Guest Dulcimeramy

Guest Dulcimeramy

He's very intelligent, excels in writing, science, and math, impresses every adult he meets, will probably be president someday...but who cares, when today he is jumping on my very last nerve.

He's rewriting from a SOTW outline that he made last week. According to my standards, his writing has too much slang and is too familiar. Instead of just making the dang corrections (I thought we had hashed this all out last year) he wasted half the afternoon finding similar examples in SWB's writing. He is making a case that all rewrites should match the tone and style of the original work.

He even hauled out his McGuffey Fourth Reader rewrites to show me that he can write like the Bronte sisters and is happy to do so if he is rewriting outlines of that style. He showed me last year's summaries of Dallas Lore Sharp's writing in which he imitated Sharp's style.

In other words, he's consistent and I'm not. (Served up with a side of I'm-smarter-than-Mama)

Pulling. Out. My. Hair. He's probably right but every day its a battle of some kind. Tomorrow it will be algebra. The next day he will give me a break, probably, and rant instead about Dr. Wile's ideas in his Apologia science. By Friday he will be challenging me about church history, I guarantee it.

Sure, if you want to trade with me and my 14yr old boy. However, I'm afraid we would both still be in exactly the same boats as before! Just yesterday I finally looked at him, raised my voice (I try hard to seldom ever do) and said, "Stop arguing every single thing with me! Just do it!". My goodness he would argue with me about his name if he couldn't find something else! He really is great boy but the debates are driving me bonkers!!

You too, huh? Hugs :grouphug: to you but no help, unfortunately. If you find the elixir, please tell me. I'd just about give a major body part in exchange. LOL!

Guest Dulcimeramy

You mean this is normal??? Can we get all these boys together for some hard manual labor or a game of kickball or something to help them work off their aggressions?

What happens to boys in public school? Is this the age where boys become silent and sullen because they don't have a platform for challenging everyone?

I love him very much but I wish someone else was in charge of teaching him. There, I said it. Nothing will change, but I've finally said that out loud.

Thanks for the hugs and empathy!

You mean this is normal??? Can we get all these boys together for some hard manual labor or a game of kickball or something to help them work off their aggressions?

What happens to boys in public school? Is this the age where boys become silent and sullen because they don't have a platform for challenging everyone?

I love him very much but I wish someone else was in charge of teaching him. There, I said it. Nothing will change, but I've finally said that out loud.

Thanks for the hugs and empathy!

I hate to say it but most days right now I would wholeheartedly agree with you! Maybe we can ship them all to some central location together until they get over it. :)

Guest Dulcimeramy
I hate to say it but most days right now I would wholeheartedly agree with you! Maybe we can ship them all to some central location together until they get over it. :)

I've read about that educational theory. I think the name of the book was....

Lord of the Flies.

:lol:

Oh dear! You are right! Mmmm...nevermind ;) I don't know though. I think they might just sit around and debate each other to exhaustion and come back the boy they use to be. (yeah, wishful thinking, I know)

Lord of the Flies.

I'll take him, if you will take my 9 yo dd. She is Miss Drama Queen right now, hyper-sensitive to ev.er.y.thing and about to make me scream or cause her bodily harm. She and my older dd are with my inlaws this week, which I think was a terrible idea but the girls wanted to try it, and honestly, I'm thankful for the break. I don't know what to do with that child.

Welcome to the Dialectic Stage. It has it's good parts- but my 13 yr old ds does this same thing. There are days when I could auction him off for just some peace and quiet. Hmmm mmm. But I love him to pieces.

Great, what does it mean , then, if my 8 yr old dd is already like this? If I hear "Aaaactualy....." one more time :mad:! She debates everything. Will it get worse? Is that even possible?

My goodness he would argue with me about his name if he couldn't find something else! He really is great boy but the debates are driving me bonkers!!

My DS is only 8.5 but - Goodness! I am right there with the debating every. little. thing.

Yesterday, he was debating whether or not I had not obeyed a road sign through a construction zone. :tongue_smilie: He would not accept, "Because I've been driving much, much longer than you have been alive!!!" as a valid argument.

No answers. Just something I have actually been pondering lately.

Known in our house as the Defense Attorney Stage. :glare:

Funny you should say that. 2 nights ago our dd comes to show us her hippo's medical chart that she made. It was actually a liability waiver! "see, this is where Hippy signed saying that he agrees to take the experimental medication that we don't know will work or not and here is where Hippy signed to show that I can do the surgery even though he may not make it..." WHAT?!? What kind of 8 yr old plays like that? Poor Hippy, I hope he pulls through because his family has no room for a law suit that's for sure :001_huh:.

Funny you should say that. 2 nights ago our dd comes to show us her hippo's medical chart that she made. It was actually a liability waiver! "see, this is where Hippy signed saying that he agrees to take the experimental medication that we don't know will work or not and here is where Hippy signed to show that I can do the surgery even though he may not make it..." WHAT?!? What kind of 8 yr old plays like that? Poor Hippy, I hope he pulls through because his family has no room for a law suit that's for sure :001_huh:.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

:001_huh::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Wow...that is just too funny :D

Dd8 took a look at the book I was scheduling for ds13 (The Argument Builder). She said, "What? You're actually going to teach him to argue?!"

Oh.my.goodness! This is exactly what my ds16 said when he saw me looking at Art of Argument for ds13.

Ds16: "Mom, are you serious?! He already knows how to argue. It's all he ever does!"

Me: "Yes, I know dear, but I should at least teach him the proper way to do it."

Ds16: groan

No answers here; just sympathy.

"Pick your battles" used to be something I told myself. Now I tell it to my 14 yo DD. Often. Along with "This is NOT worth arguing about!" and "Just do as I say!" and "Because I said so" and "Oh, yes you will!"

I am tempted to conclude that I was ineffective all these years.

And, BTW, what is with the perfect, admirable, 'you are a dream of a child' behavior everywhere else? Grrrrrr...

I'll switch you for a 12yo that melts down daily because school is just so durn hard and if I would just send him to school, let him quit Scouts, and not make him go to church, he would be happy. He wants to go to school because it is easier than homeschooling. It seems that I give him too much work and my expectations are too high.

:glare:

Jewellsmommy - what kind of tv is she watching? Or does she spend a lot of time in hospitals?

LOL

I don't know where she gets 1/2 the weird stuff that goes through her brain. She is a jr conspiracy theorist as well. She makes the most bizarre connections. :001_huh: Her daddy and I are in a constant state of "WHAT?!?"

Known in our house as the Defense Attorney Stage. :glare:

And as a former defense attorney, I say he is doing EXACTLY what he should be doing!:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

But Mom, as judge, you need to just tell him that you are only taking 3 minutes of argument and that anything else needs to be submitted in a written brief which can be as long as it needs to be to cover his points, but must be typed, double spaced, error free, and cogent.

Lord of the Flies.

Yup, just finished reading that for myself. Ds turns 13 next month.

Dd8 took a look at the book I was scheduling for ds13 (The Argument Builder). She said, "What? You're actually going to teach him to argue?!"

I was thrilled when I saw that book a few years ago. It's been on my list. My ds has been negotiating since he could talk, inherited that from dh. :glare: I figure if I'm going to teach him, he's going to be well versed in logic & rhetoric skills.

As we speak ds is off working on a job with dh, building his manly skills, and using his manly-to-be muscles. He'll be ready to do some academics when they get back. All part of my diabolical plan.

To the OP, yes, I'd take your son for a bit. My ds could use some competition.

Guest Dulcimeramy
Yup, just finished reading that for myself. Ds turns 13 next month.

I was thrilled when I saw that book a few years ago. It's been on my list. My ds has been negotiating since he could talk, inherited that from dh. :glare: I figure if I'm going to teach him, he's going to be well versed in logic & rhetoric skills.

As we speak ds is off working on a job with dh, building his manly skills, and using his manly-to-be muscles. He'll be ready to do some academics when they get back. All part of my diabolical plan.

To the OP, yes, I'd take your son for a bit. My ds could use some competition.

I'll put him on the bus in the morning. He won't be there until next week because he's gonna stop at Remudamom's on the way to shovel pony poop.

Great, what does it mean , then, if my 8 yr old dd is already like this? If I hear "Aaaactualy....." one more time :mad:! She debates everything. Will it get worse? Is that even possible?

I want to know the same thing - my ds#9 has been this way for ever and it only seems to get worse the better his vocabulary gets and the sharper his mind gets. :001_huh: I swear he's going to be an attorney based on how he already argues his case about everything.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Oh my goodness, that is the greatest story yet!!!

But Mom, as judge, you need to just tell him that you are only taking 3 minutes of argument and that anything else needs to be submitted in a written brief which can be as long as it needs to be to cover his points, but must be typed, double spaced, error free, and cogent.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: This is SO wise.

My 3 older boys helped me invent these lines:

"We've had this conversation before and you know the my answer/opinion"

"This conversation is now OVER"

This one- I read here and I've already used it twice:

"Are you NEW here?"

Thanks for helping me remember some of my coping mechanisms.

Scooping pony poop sounds like a good job for mine. I may think about asking the farmer across the way if he wants any FREE help.:001_smile:

I'll put him on the bus in the morning. He won't be there until next week because he's gonna stop at Remudamom's on the way to shovel pony poop.

Awesome!

Really though, wouldn't it be great if we COULD have a teen camp for WTM boys. Although they might use their skills to gang up on us. :lol::lol:

And as a former defense attorney, I say he is doing EXACTLY what he should be doing!:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

:rofl:

This is one I will be saving up to use with my ds9--he will need the parameters. :) And the family is full of lawyers--I will have him submit his briefs to them for practice.

I'm now considering locking mine in a room together. As each younger boy hits this stage, I'll just throw him in along with extra food rations and new books.

Wonder what age I should plan on letting them out?

Welcome to the Dialectic Stage. It has it's good parts- but my 13 yr old ds does this same thing. There are days when I could auction him off for just some peace and quiet. Hmmm mmm. But I love him to pieces.

Hold up! I thought that was the Logic stage. My 11 year old does this ALL the time.

:rofl: I can send you a couple other budding defense attorneys instead. One's turning 13 and the other's turning 14. The only thing worse than them arguing with ME is the arguments with each other. They're like a dog with a bone. Just. Won't. Let. Go.

Oh, now, that's gotta make a mom absolutely crazy.

I was explaining/reminding the boys that we weren't yet at complete school schedule capacity today. I was reminding them of the subjects to add and told the 14yr old about Logic. He arugued with me that it didn't sound like anything he needed. It doesn't sound like something the kids in "real school" study. blah blah blah The same argument he gives me for math lessons he finds confusing, grammar lessons he finds confusing, etc. I finally said "You're arguing with me about learning to argue. Move past it!". It's so exhausting! Can I just duct tape his mouth for a few more years? Hm...

Anyone wants mine? He is 8 and he has been arguing about everything since he was 3. Also, when he asks a question, he would repeat it five times, one right after another, while I am still formulating the answer for him. And, when I tell him something like, "hey, it is getting cold. Please put on a jacket!" He would always answer, without fail, "Why?" Didn't I just tell you why? Now his 5 year old sister is doing the same thing.... I know I am going downhill from here.

Once he has the degree in hand, he can do it all he wants! Until then, no role playing!

I do like the paper requirements, though...

My 3 older boys helped me invent these lines:

"This conversation is now OVER"

This one- I read here and I've already used it twice:

"Are you NEW here?"

Thanks for helping me remember some of my coping mechanisms.

The one about the conversation being over gets a response of, "Oh, SURE! YOU get to decide when it's over! Never mind if I have something else to say! That is SO UNFAIR! Blah, blah, blah..."

I love the "Are you new here?" one, but haven't used it yet!

you mean it gets worst?? My ds is only 7 and he does that.

Oh, yeah. My oldest has been at it since 2 weeks before he turned 7. It kinda cycles in and out.

After, 13 years of arguing, my 13 year old has decided that she would be much better as an arbitrator instead. Half the time she sides with me, the other half her sister. All she is doing is driving us both crazy and doubling the time of the debates. After 27 years of being a mom, I am right back at, "I don't care", "Just do it!" and "Because I said so." :glare: