Menu

Chest or Upright

Our freezer died earlier this summer. Fortunately, we hadn't bought meat yet and hadn't started adding frozen produce from the garden so it was fairly empty. After researching it, the cost of fixing it is about half the price of just getting a new one and this one is already 10 years old. So, now we're thinking about getting a new one. Yay! I love new appliances.

However, we've only ever had an upright one, but we're open to a chest freezer. Do you have a preference for one or the other?

Thanks!

I've had both, definately upright!!

A chest freezer hides everything on the bottom. An upright has all the door space that you can see, and the sheves can be organized. I also buy the medium sized plastic containers (about the size of 2 shoe boxes) and label them by my needs--ie chicken, breakfast, nuts, fruit... so that all the little odds and ends (half a chicken breast in cellophane with no label) can be easily found.

Lara

I love my Frigidaire upright freezer. A chest-style would be difficult for me to reach into completely, I think. I'm 5'3". Ours has tons of room and next to it, we have a full refrigerator that matches. They're both "extras" (in our mudroom) and we use them both all of the time.

Have fun deciding!

I went back on & forth on this a bunch of time but ended up with upright mostly because of the amount of floor space avail in the room where it lives.

Upright is easier to find things, but I find I get less food into it. I just can't fill the shelves right up to the edges. It's supposed to be less energy efficient too.

Seems you can stuff more into a chest but it's harder to find & with a big one you end up having to have someone hold your ankles while you dig out things from the bottom. Or maybe I just have particularly short arms......:tongue_smilie:

I'd buy an upright. I have a chest freezer and have to unload everything to get to something on the bottom (which is hard to reach because I'm 5'4"). Not to mention things get forgotten in the bottom of the freezer.

My MIL had an upright and it was organized very well. She even had a bin to store freezer bags of soup upright.

I'm leaning to getting another upright. Ok, part of it is laziness on my part. I can easily send one of the boys out to get something we need and I'm not sure I could do that with a chest freezer. Dh is leaning towards the chest because we'll be able to store more stuff in it.

We own a chest freezer, however the home which we are renting had an upright installed so we didn't plug in our chest freezer. I definitely like the upright better. It holds so much more, and is so much easier to organize. This is a significantly older freezer, though, and has the freezing agent running through the racks, so stuff freezes ALMOST IMMEDIATELY! I don't know if newer upright freezers have this feature or not.