Menu

Starting the school day with chores--does this actually work??

If you start your school day by having your kids do chores, how is that working for you? It's not working so well for me. :glare: I have always expected my kids to pitch in, but this is the most scheduled I've been about it and I find that after half an hour of working to gain and keep their compliance with chores, I'm frustrated and annoyed. Not a fun way to start the school day.

Does it get better over time? Do you just save chores until later in the day, or do a break between chores and school? Or do your kids just have a better attitude about work than mine? :confused:

FWIW, DD9 is a huge help and rarely gives me any trouble. DD8 just got a promotion to laundry-folder and struggles with it, that is mostly where his resistance comes in. DD6 just hates cleaning up after herself, and her room is always messy because DD5 changes clothes 10x/day. Unfortunately, I don't usually catch the clothing changes in time to have DD5 put her own clothes away, and DD6 leaves her share of stuff out too, so their room is usually a disaster.

HELP! I'm open to ideas, perspective, constructive criticism, etc.

We do chores first thing in the morning before school and it works great for us. The kids know they have one hour once I wake them up to get dressed, make their bed and tidy their room, get dressed (optional around here!), eat breakfast, brush their teeth, and do their chore (which usually takes about 15-20 minutes). I know that sounds like a lot, but none of those things take very long. I set the oven timer to go off and when it does, they know they better be sitting on the couch ready for Bible/Memory Work. :001_smile:

My oldest is pretty good about doing chores, the next 2 will make anything take as long as possible with the hope I will forget to make them do it. We used the ideas from Managers of their chores for a year or so (but loosely because she is a bit obssesive for my tastes)and that worked well for us. It got the kids in the habit of doing things. I haven't used it in a while because I need to redo chore assignments.

As far as doing them in the morning. Kids must be up by 7:30. they have a few chores do finish before breakfast of 8. Morning Bible time is at 8:30. If they dawdle too long with chores they cut into their eating time. If they really dawdle they lose their breakfast. I have removed a partially eaten bowl in front of a kid because it's 8:30 (because said kid didn't finish chores until 8:25)and I have not given a child breakfast because they didn't get chores done in time. My kids are very motivated by food and so it doesn't take more than 1 or 2 times for a kid to learn, when I ask them to do something I mean it and I really do expcet them to get it done.

The biggest challenge has been to make sure it's work they can easily get done in the alloted time. usually their morning chores can be done in about 15 minutes if they are working hard so I know that if it's not done in 30 minutes it's because they are wasting time.

But even so, my kids really don't work quickly or willingly. It's taken several years to even reach the level we are at.

We tried it - didn't work for us. i think we're all just not morning people :)

School starts at 8:00 - but no chores are done prior (unless the garbage needs taking out, or something minor). My sons have about an hour or more of chores a day - just not practical for us, I guess.

If you start your school day by having your kids do chores, how is that working for you? It's not working so well for me. :glare: I have always expected my kids to pitch in, but this is the most scheduled I've been about it and I find that after half an hour of working to gain and keep their compliance with chores, I'm frustrated and annoyed. Not a fun way to start the school day.

Does it get better over time? Do you just save chores until later in the day, or do a break between chores and school? Or do your kids just have a better attitude about work than mine? :confused:

FWIW, DD9 is a huge help and rarely gives me any trouble. DD8 just got a promotion to laundry-folder and struggles with it, that is mostly where his resistance comes in. DD6 just hates cleaning up after herself, and her room is always messy because DD5 changes clothes 10x/day. Unfortunately, I don't usually catch the clothing changes in time to have DD5 put her own clothes away, and DD6 leaves her share of stuff out too, so their room is usually a disaster.

HELP! I'm open to ideas, perspective, constructive criticism, etc.

Rosy, Well, yes, I expect my 11 yo dd to do the following BEFORE she even comes downstairs:

1. Make bed

2. Get dressed

3. Shades up

4. Bathroom

5. Brush hair

6. Adding this year shower or at least wash underarms, apply deoderant

(she showers at night too)

OK, the above are "expectations" not chores.

Chores before school:

1. Feed cat dry food and check/give fresh water

2. Maybe empty dishwasher or one other "light" chore just to help her wake up

I do like the idea early in the morning. It teaches budgeting time, responsibility with that time, management, etc etc. I may have her do 2 light chores BEFORE school and definately 1-5 chores after school. However, that number is not the same everyday as I don't run the dishwasher everyday. Nor, do I need to do a load of clothes everyday in my big front loader, but I hope you get the idea.

Sheryl <><

We do revolving chore charts, so it's not full of chores they do day in and day out. We take 30 min after breakfast to clean up, dress and do chores. At the end of that 30 min, we start school If their chores aren't finished, they do them before they get to relax at the end of the school day.

We do chores after breakfast and before we start school. My ds is slow to wake up, so he can't really just jump into chores first thing. It takes him a good 20 minutes just to wake up. So, we take our time with breakfast and then do chores. I put on some fun, upbeat music and we try to make a game out of it. They're also still young enough that they need some help from me, and it just goes better if we all do it together. We either have a race to see who can get done first, or lately, they've enjoyed doing "super spy chores" where they try to get everything done without me seeing them. They tell me they're in stealth mode! LOL!

We do chores and one kid gets piano done before breakfast. The chores are simple - feed the dog, gather the laundry, straighten up a little, etc. Then 20-30 minutes of piano. I like having a bunch of stuff done before the school day starts - otherwise I just feel "behind" all day.

First, your kids are all young and need a lot of guidance, so you're not going to have a very smooth time of it for a while. :grouphug: Mine are only 9 & 10 but I'm already beginning to see with age it's getting a little better. I have a basic chore list so they have something to refer to so they don't forget what needs to be done. It's not an all inclusive list, but has most of the basics on it, including brush teeth and make bed. I also leave a blank space on it so they can't pull the "It's not on my list" trick. ;)

We also started using a allowance jar. The kids earn $5 a week for their chores. We give each kid a glass jar with $5 in quarters at the beginning of the week. Every time I have to remind the kids to do something they've already been instructed or reminded to do, I take a quarter out of their jar and put it into Mom & Dad's jar. They have the opportunity somewhere later in the week to earn back quarters for little jobs I need done that are outside the scope of their chores. Whatever is in their jars at the end of the week they get to keep. There are days when they seem to be losing money left & right, but it after a while they do learn to listen up without being told repeatedly and our days are getting less frustrating. hth!

We do chores at the beginning of the day before school as uch as possible, but if they don't get finished they finish then after school.

Edited by Paintedlady

We start the day with chores. The kids have between 30 minutes and an hour between breakfast and the start of school, depending on when we started breakfast. Chores should take about 15-20 minutes, depending on the day/chore.

Any time left between chores and school is free time.

If chores are not completed by the start of school, they finish during the next break.

So it looks like this:

7:30 Wake up

8ish Breakfast

8:20-8:30 Start personal care (get dressed, brush teeth, make bed) and chores

School starts at 9:15.

Before we started structuring our day like this, chores were a nag-fest for me. Now they usually do them without being reminded, though my distractable 9 y.o. still needs prompts to stay on task.

At one point, they had the routine down, but all dawdled horribly for a while, so I asked them how we'd solve it and we came to the conclusion that they needed to earn their afternoon video game time by completing chores before school started. I think it lasted for a few months, everyone lost (or didn't earn) their Wii privilege a couple times, then everyone was back on track. We don't have to do that any more. :)

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch

We've had morning chores for a couple years already. However I'm finding that right now it seems that we might work better moving some of those chores to the afternoon. That way we can do a quick cleanup, and do the vacuuming then, and clean up any bits of cut paper and such that found their way around the house during the day, which leads to a calmer dinner/evening for me.

perhaps I am a slave driver...okay, I admit it I am!!

Four children 14 to 10, and we have different chore times throughout the day.

Beds made before they eat! No make, no eat! :D

and room cleaned before they come out of it ('cept for potty...lol)

Morning:

Breakfast dishes,

sweep,

laundry for who's day it is

chickens and cat feed and watered

We school at 9am, and if they get done prior to school it is FREE time!!

Free time is the key! :D

We then have after lunch chores

These are more in depth and change daily

Vacumning, bathrooms, mow lawn, dusting, windows, etc

and after school chores

putting HS away and changing dining room back

then....lol

after dinner, dishes and kitchen!!

I am a task master, but truly believe they will be awesome hubby and wives to their spouses!!

my kids are supposed to make their beds, get dressed, pick up all their clothes (dirty clean or wherever they happen to be) and feed an animal.

Only then are they allowed to eat. These chores only take 15 minutes, if they get with it.

Breakfast is a great motivator!

other bigger chores, like cleaning bathrooms and folding laundry are done after lunch (and school) is out of the way, but before they are allowed any media or play time.

Looking forward to something is a great motivator.

our schedule is as follows for my daughter.

6-7am feed cats

clean litterboxes

make bed

shower

7-8am feed rabbits

clean litterboxes

finish laundry

eat breakfast

my sons.

6-7am empty garbages

make bed

7-8am finish helping sister with laundry

clean up breakfast dishes

school work starts @ 8:00am

we also have some small slots throughout the day for break time IF all chores are done. However no free time if they need to finish up any of those chores.

Yes, we do chores first, but mostly because they are outside animal chores. Those cows and sheep have to be fed!!!

This is us too, only it's horses and goats. When they come in they are awake and usually in pretty good moods because they have been talking and joking around while outside.

Then breakfast.

The other chores before we start studying are:

Ds13 take out trash and feeds the dogs. The cat box rotates, but if a child forgets, they have to do it two days in a row. If they forget one of those two days, it increases. Currently my eldest is at 10 days in a row. :glare: Dd9 has to feed the cats. Clean dishes are put away.

Household work is later in the day, whenever we seem to need a change of pace, or after our studies are done. We usually work together and have fun with it.