Menu

Can Life of Fred Fractions stand alone?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I thought I remembered reading that they aren't meant to stand alone until Pre-Algebra so I'd email the author. He is very nice and usually very quick to reply:001_smile:

LoF Fractions? No. At the pace of one lesson a day you'd finish the whole book in 1.5 months. It doesn't have nearly enough review and practice. My oldest uses Fred as a refresher or light summer math, after he's been through those concepts in his regular math text. My second kid is really mathy and can learn new concepts with Fred, but still needs more practice than Fred provides.

When you get to the levels that have Home Companions, Fred can stand alone.

My ds 6th just wrapped up LOF fractions in 5 weeks and 1 day. He had learned fractions last year in PS, so for my ds, it was a super fun review. My dd 4th desperately wants to start LOF, so I think I will use it for her starting next week, but I will likely pull from another curriculum to get her some additional practice problems.

It will depend on your child. Is your child getting it? Or is more practice needed? For us, using it with Singapore 5b & 6a was a good fit last year. LOF went so well we also did LOF Decimals too. I personally think LOF needs additional practice problems. Test your child several months down the road. That will tell you if the math is being retained.

northcoast

We are using LoF as our sole math curriculum at dd request. We were using it along with MUS, but she doesn't like MUS and wanted to drop it.

I have her "teach" me what she is learning from LoF. This way I know if she is getting it or not. Sometimes I have to give her a few extra examples. For the most part LoF has been enough.

I think it really depends on your child and how you approach math.

• 2 weeks later...

practice than Fred provides. My dd and I both love the way it is set up and I love that it uses word problems to make sure that the concepts are understood, but my dd needed to do extra rote practice on the side. For that extra practice we use free online math worksheet generators.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have used LoF as a review/cement after having taught the basic fraction concepts.

We are using it along with Teaching Textbooks. My kids are loving it! DD (grade 7) is working throught LoF Fractions at a faster pace so she can get through Decimals, then Pre-Algebra this year. I was going to just start her with Pre-Algebra, but I've heard that it's best to start with Fractions and work through Decimals first. She does TT 7 five days a week.

DS (5th grade) is working at a slower pace so he can get through Fractions and probably Decimals this year. He also does TT 5 five days a week.