Menu

Why do YOU blog?

I've sometimes considered starting a blog, but I'm not sure I could keep up with it, find enough interesting things to say, or handle rejection if no one ever reads it ;)

But I know many of you keep blogs, and I'm curious about your personal reasons. Do you blog to keep your family up to date on what you and the kids are doing? Because you have a unique perspective that you think people would appreciate? Is it more a personal journal that you just happen to post publicly?

Just curious. <3 :D

I started a blog three years ago after reading many cross stitch blogs. No one IRL stitches, so it was a way to interact with fellow stitchers. There was a time when I tried to include homeschool on my blog. The Weekly Reports thread kept me on task, and I enjoyed peeking into others' school rooms. I eventually decided that I wanted that space just for myself, a little corner for my non-homeschooling interests. So it is now just for stitching. You would be amazed at the people around the world viewing your blog - so be careful about posting personal stuff! :D

I have ours mostly to keep family in the loop after we moved countries. Only some of them read it, not my problem, they can't complain that I don't keep them informed. A reasonable quantity of the content these days is HS related and so some HSers read it too. I've been very slack lately though and have hardly posted anything.

Edited by keptwoman

I blog to keep my family up to speed on what we're doing. Our families are scattered all over the country and this keeps everyone updated on how things are going.

At first, I felt really weird about doing it. I thought...would they really care? It turns out, they LOVE it and my sil will send me reminder emails if I go too long without updating. :lol:

It started out as a way to show my family what we do during the day, and to ease any insecurities they may have regarding homeschooling. But it's evolved into a 'digital scrapbook' for my boys. They had a great time looking at all of the things they did last year.

I generally blog once a week.

My blog started off about my crocheting business (I made wool cloth diaper covers that I embellished like this- finishedsoakers 697), but after I closed up shop, it became a place to write about my family, my crafting, and our day-to-day life. Sometimes, I talk endlessly about knitting and spinning yarn, more recently, I've written about homeschooling and cooking. I have a decent following from friends and family, but lately, I've gotten a lot of random people who tell me they read, which makes me happy. :)

Our extended family either doesn't use the internet or is estranged from us, so that's definitely not my reason. ;)

The most basic reason I blog is to keep records and memories for myself. I certainly appreciate any and all comments I get on those type of posts, but that does figure in to my motivations.

Beyond that, I like to have in-depth 'conversations' about various topics, and sometimes that's quite difficult IRL when you are homeschooling!

I blog to share information.

My blog serves as a record of our homeschool journey. But it also functions as a place where I can share links to sites I find helpful and a place for me to post ideas that others might want to use.

I have some regular weekly posts:

Monday morning--how our week starts

Tuesday Time Management & Organization

Wednesday reviews--I review books and curriculum, how we use things

Wednesday work in progress--my latest handwork project

What's in the box?--our workbox post

Weekly report--our report of the week's work

I also have posts about:

Nature Study Tuesday or Friday's Nature Table

Library Bag--finds at the library

Plans

Cute Rabbit pictures--pictures of our cute house rabbit

And once in a while I do other posts about my thoughts on methods and things like that.

:001_smile:

I have some family and friends that check the blog occasionally to see what we're up to (mostly MIL) but mostly I do it as more of a journal. I type much faster than I write so a computer based journal works better for me. Having it available to anyone keeps me a little more on track with updating regularly. I don't have many followers (12 I think) and have had less than 2000 visitors in a year but I don't really mind about that.

Mine is more of a personal journal. I blog about everything - cooking, pets, kids, homeschool, activities, personal thoughts... basically anything that pops into my head is fair game. I know DH's dad and stepmom read it regularly, but I think they are the only family who do. I'm not sure how I keep gaining followers (31 at current count), and I've never kept track of visitors, but it's nice to get the comments once in a while! Even when I don't get them, I still enjoy keeping track of things that are going on around here.

Initially, I started my blog to keep long-distance family members updated about our lives but ti seems that no one was reading it so now I use it as a place to write out my thoughts--an online journal. I am able to untangle my thoughts through writing about homeschooling, classical education, educational philosphy and personal things. When I had cancer last year, writing on my blog was extremely cathartic for me in dealing with my emotions and thought during that time. I don't get many comments but that is not what I do it for, so that doesn't bother me.

I've sometimes considered starting a blog, but I'm not sure I could keep up with it, find enough interesting things to say, or handle rejection if no one ever reads it ;)

But I know many of you keep blogs, and I'm curious about your personal reasons. Do you blog to keep your family up to date on what you and the kids are doing? Because you have a unique perspective that you think people would appreciate? Is it more a personal journal that you just happen to post publicly?

Just curious. <3 :D

Hmm.. I don't think I blog for any of the reasons above. It's mainly a way for me to keep a record of what we've done & used, where's we've gone, what worked, & what didn't. I enjoy it as a way to share my experiences and thoughts. I also hope to be somewhat of an example for other NY homeschoolers - easing their minds about the regulations and paperwork, giving reviews on places we've gone and curricula we've used, and allowing them to email me privately with questions. It's the perfect outlet for my Virgo, Type-A, OCD prone personality. :tongue_smilie:

I keep a homeschooling blog for a few different reasons:

- Homeschooling is unusual among my friends and family, and many of them are interested in following along to see what we're doing.

- I enjoy preserving memories of what we've done.

- I like to share our experiences and ideas with Five in a Row with others who may be considering or using that curriculum.

I started a blog to keep a conversation going with my family. Unfortunately I couldn't juggle *doing* blog-worthy things with *posting* about them, so I gave up posting and decided just to live.

My sister does comment every now and then that she's sad that her "favorite blogger" hasn't posted in a while. :tongue_smilie:

I blog because I love hearing myself speak, but I'd run out of people to listen to me.

No, wait, I blog because I'm a professional writer and editor who is currently out of work due to the economy, and I need an outlet for writing.

No, no, I blog because I think I'm funny and I like to make people laugh.

Hmmm, maybe I blog because it's a nice way to keep records of what we're working on.

Or for the moral support.

Or because having other people pointing and laughing takes the pressure off.

Ok, I think I blog for all of those reasons and a few more.

I started as a way to keep family updated and to share pictures of our then-baby. That was five years ago, and it's morphed into a way to keep up with friends and make new friends and just as an outlet for me to unload my brain. :) Until last year, the domain name was our last name. I started to feel a little uneasy about that, though, and changed it over to a different URL (ButterscotchSundae.com). I use pseudonyms now for my husband and the kids, too.

Oh how I love the blog world!

I am part of the cottage industry of digital scrap, so I have one blog for busisness (anneofalamo) and then I do one that started as a picture a day for 365 days. That lasted about 2 months! I too love to write, so I use it for our life as a family. I know my mom reads it, and a few other friends are faithful to pop in here and there. I enjoy doing it, and guest at different blogs also! lol

I blog because for some odd reason I've always felt compelled to help people and for the past 10 years, that outlet has always been the Internet. In the past it's been online forums and articles, I just love online communities!

With this homeschooling blog, I started it the very day I decided to start homeschooling. I knew my husband and my mom would freak out, so I didn't say the word "homeschooling". My daughter had just turned 4. After just a few months, it was obvious what an amazing success my "hanging out at home and teaching my daughter" was, so after that I referred to it as actual homeschooling. They now are homeschool cheerleaders for us!

Here's my reasons, in no particular order:

• To show people that are considering hs'ing how fun and rewarding homeschooling can be
  • To keep my husband and mom up-to-date, as my husband travels all week and my mom lives 4 states away
  • To help people see what different curriculum are like in action
  • To practice my photography
  • To have a social outlet and interaction with my blog readers and my dd's penpals
  • To record my dd's progress in her schoolwork
  • To photograph and keep forever some of her creative works, we can't hold on to all of them physically
  • To get advice and support from my readers
  • To have something to channel my extra enthusiasm and energy, sometimes I get so excited about homeschooling I want to explode, hehe. Writing it down helps me calm down.
  • I think it's also my personality, I like to be very thorough in some things
  • I just love the warm, fuzzy feeling I get when I get comments!

It's the best when people send me emails saying they were members of my past communities and are now into homeschooling. It even better when they knew me from more than one of my past websites!

Edited by Satori

I Do you blog to keep your family up to date on what you and the kids are doing? Because you have a unique perspective that you think people would appreciate? Is it more a personal journal that you just happen to post publicly?

My family has no idea that I blog. There's nothing on it that's inappropriate or that I wouldn't want anyone to see -- it's just that it's not for them, it's for me. It's kind of like my own little corner when I can go and express my own thoughts, in my own way, without being interrupted. ;)

It isn't a journal in the "Here's what I did today..." sense. I think I originally envisioned it that way, but it's really turned into more of a place where I type my opinions and observations on current events, philosophical issues, etc. I just don't have time anymore to sit down and write in a notebook like I used to -- and I find that typing allows my transcription to keep (relative) pace with my thoughts. So a thought or an idea will pop into my head, and in no time flat I can go online, log into my blog, and type it out.

I find blogging to be very therapeutic. It gives me a place to unload, to sort things out, to develop an idea. It's really "my space" in the real sense of those words, and it just happens to be public. Someone asked me once why I don't just keep a journal in Word or something. I don't know. I don't have any delusions of being the next Pioneer Woman -- I just like the format of a blog and all the features it has, so I do it that way.

Edited by Maverick_Mom

My family has no idea that I blog. There's nothing on it that it's inappropriate or that I wouldn't want anyone to see -- it's just that it's not for them, it's for me. It's kind of like my own little corner when I can go and express my own thoughts, in my own way, without being interrupted. ;)

It isn't a journal in the "Here's what I did today..." sense. I think I originally envisioned it that way, but it's really turned into more of a place where I type my opinions and observations on current events, philosophical issues, etc. I just don't have time anymore to sit down and write in a notebook like I used to -- and I find that typing allows my transcription to keep (relative) pace with my thoughts. So a thought or an idea will pop into my head, and in no time flat I can go online, log into my blog, and type it out.

I find blogging to be very therapeutic. It gives me a place to unload, to sort things out, to develop an idea.

These are the same reasons for which I blog....she just stated it better than I did :)

Guest Cindie2dds
It started out as a way to show my family what we do during the day, and to ease any insecurities they may have regarding homeschooling. But it's evolved into a 'digital scrapbook' for my boys. They had a great time looking at all of the things they did last year.

These are my reasons. I don't do paper scrapbooks, so it's mostly for keepsake purposes. If I ever decide to have it printed, I can.

I recently started a blog to keep me accountable as I start on a personal effort to read history and literature in a classical manner (http://www.wrestlingwithbooks.wordpress.com for those who are interested). I am starting with the classics and moving forward, hopefully in a four year cycle, reading history and then literature from each era.

I'm using SWB's History of the Ancient World as my "spine" and then reading works from the period.

My blog is about books, not about my personal life, except where they intersect.

Like many of the other replies, I also started my blog so our family would be able to see what all we're doing in school. Also, I had kept an adoption website when we traveled to China, and I loved updating the site and hearing from others about our journey ... I thought sharing our homeschooling experiences would be rewarding as well! I used to scrapbook, so blogging has taken on a digital scrapbook of our lives aspect, too!

What I wasn't counting on was making friends!!! That has been such a surprise blessing! As a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom who is pretty social (:D), it's been a fun way for me to have like-minded friends! In the online world, I've made friends with ladies who homeschool, are into photography, and have also adopted internationally - all the same things I'm passionate about!! What fun!!

Also, someone mentioned accountability ... I've found that linking up weekly has kept me on task ... and blogging with pictures helps me get my camera out for all the experiments and activities! One day I'll be so glad to have a record of what all we did!

I blog because I love hearing myself speak, but I'd run out of people to listen to me.

:lol: THIS is so me. Blah, blah, blah - I have a lot to say.

Lately, apparently my blog is about posting pictures of handsome men. Yes! Go look!

Also because I'm an attention #$%% & I like an audience. :lol:

OK - here's my pledge: I'll go to three "new to me" blogs mentioned in this thread (or just in siggies) and follow you. Pleeeeze follow me too, m'kay?:tongue_smilie: And comment! Pleeeeeze?????

I thought it would be nice to keep an ongoing journal, with pictures and details and so on, of what our day to day homeschooling lives are like. This meets a few purposes.

1. I will have it as a keepsake/memory to look back on our homeschool years without having to open up a bunch of boxes- it's all right there on the website. And my kids will have that memory, too.

2. Interested friends and family who want to keep up with what our homeschooling lives are like can do so.

3. Homeschoolers who might want to read about the particular curriculum I use or the way we put it into practice in a relaxed style of homeschooling can do so, and if it helps somebody, great! I've even added in things like reviews and sample schedules and so on.

4. I'll always have a detailed record if the district or anybody were ever to give me a hassle about whether I'm doing enough. I'll also be able to look through and see that yes, I am "doing enough." :)

5. It helps keep me motivated to do fun, creative things with my kids- cause I know I'm going to go journal about my day, so it's nice to try to always have something worth journaling about :D

6. It's a good creative outlet, I've always enjoyed writing.

I do it for several reasons. I like it to keep a record of the work we've done. Most of my posts are weekly updates. I have a few family members that read it. They don't live near us, so it does help them have an idea of what's going on in our lives. I also like to share things that are working for me. I've gleaned so much from reading ideas on others' blogs that if something I'm doing can help someone else, then I want to make it available.

:lol: THIS is so me. Blah, blah, blah - I have a lot to say.

Lately, apparently my blog is about posting pictures of handsome men. Yes! Go look!

Also because I'm an attention #$%% & I like an audience. :lol:

OK - here's my pledge: I'll go to three "new to me" blogs mentioned in this thread (or just in siggies) and follow you. Pleeeeze follow me too, m'kay?:tongue_smilie: And comment! Pleeeeeze?????

K, so I *visited* four blogs and am now following two! I love finding new blogs to read. I really, really need to get a blogroll up on my site...

I used to keep a homeschool blog when my boys were younger, but I am a terrible writer. I enjoyed looking back on the activites and reading we had done in a school year, but I always disliked my 'voice'.

Now I just keep a reading journal. I make notes of quotes and links that are from or related to the books I am reading. As easy as that is, I am still behind...:lol:

Mine is boring and just to share with extended family what we are doing. I love reading other blogs for ideas though. If I ever had time to actually write I would love to write something a bit more on a personal level instead of blah blah blah ... we did this and this and this at school this week.

It's also my creative outlet... I don't spend as much time as I'd like working with it, though... I get caught up NOT knowing how to do things that I want to do, like customizing my background and putting a row of photos at the top and all... But, I LOVE posting about life.

I have a lot of family that reads it, but they don't necessary "follow" and I link my posts to my facebook and ask my family to please leave a comment ON THE BLOG (not in caps when I ask them!) and they always leave a comment on FACEBOOK!!! It cracks me up! Many nights I fall asleep thinking, "Oh, I could blog about this..." and I proceed to mentally write an excellent post... that is forgotten in the morning...

I started a blog three years ago after reading many cross stitch blogs. No one IRL stitches, so it was a way to interact with fellow stitchers.

I am going to start following your blog! I love cross stitch blogs! I'm in a knitting phase right now, but I love to cross stitch. Before we moved, I met with the same group of stitchers for the 12 years we lived in our old town. I can't tell you how much I miss them. There is no stitching shop here so I need to find stitching blogs!

I started a blog because I like to ramble, but also to keep our family up to date on what we are doing in our homeschool. I'm terrible about updating it, because I can never seem to get all the pictures etc. together when I have time to blog, but would like to do weekly reports this year to keep myself more accountable. Also, I tend to be fairly sarcastic and since my inlaws read my blog I have to be careful about what I say. I hate sounding like one of those shiny-happy-best mom in the world people but I feel like I often do because I can't just let it all hang out. :lol:

My two main reasons for doing it are to share what we are doing with family, and so that I can have it made into a book at the end of each school year. When we're done with school, he will have 12 yearbooks to look back on to see all of the fun things we did!

I blog for homeschooling, what happens around the home and just sharing ideas, what books I use etc. I also blog so my parents can see pictures of the kids and for myself. I like the idea of listing my books and websites on it so I can find every thing easily. It's better than a piece of paper and better than a bookmark on the computer. :001_smile:

I've been collecting faith-based holiday ideas and wanted a place to share them.

I also have each blog entry automatically emailed to both sets of grandparents. They love it seeing the grandchildren.

I now use it as a scrapbook too and had the last year printed through blurb.com. I haven't received the book yet. I can't wait! :)

Do you blog to keep your family up to date on what you and the kids are doing?

Certain members of my family :D The ones I'm happy to share my business with. ;)

I think my mum reads it (she's on the other side of the continent,) dh usually reads it on the train on the way home, my brother reads it occasionally. Only half a dozen people have access. I'm not saying anything that anyone other than relatives would find interesting and I only started it so Mum could satisfy her grandkid needs.

Rosie

My blog started as a family humor thing and I wrote daily for nearly 2 years. I got a couple of essays published, then decided to quit blogging my good stuff because many mags considered it "previously published," even though I had only a handful of readers. Unfortunately, when I quit blogging I also quit writing.

And I've been kinda miserable ever since.

Y'all are making me want to start up again!

Cindy - the now Texan, former Yooper girl, who has traded her "yah" for y'all, eh?