Menu

I just need literature....any ideas?

RhondaM.

So this year I wanted everything laid out and streamlined for me. I really like my choices so far though I'm still waiting on math and LA...but I really liked the samples.

For my 4th grade dd I'm going to use:

CLE math

CLE LA

History Odyssey Early Modern

REAL Science: Chemistry

What I'd really like is a literature plan. I love The Arrow guides over at Bravewriter, they would be perfect, but they don't have guides for any books I want her to read this year.

If I could just find something like The Arrow I'd be totally set.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Are you just looking for a book list or an entire course?

If you're OK with a book list, Sonlight Core 3 looks awesome - most of the books are probably at the library. Core 3 is Early-American History-themed. There's a lot of historical fiction novels, though.

Here's the list of Read-Alouds (go down to Individual Items):

http://www.sonlight.com/read-alouds-3.html

Here's the History-themed novels and books:

http://www.sonlight.com/history-geography-3.html

It sounds like you already have your books selected... what are they?

Yeah, do you already have a book list? Are you looking for a Unit Study based on a book? http://fiarhq.com/fiveinarow.info/beyondfiveinarow.html

I can't believe I had to click on that! That looks incredible too. Darn its. So much curricula, so little time...:tongue_smilie:

:svengo:

We used Inside Stories for a few years - I did really like how they were laid out. You may want to look at the books on each grade level and choose one that way - because to me the books run a little on the easy side for the grades they say they are for. You're probably in book 3 or 4....

Anyway - they were great, non-consumable, and you can either buy the books or easily find them at the library.

It sounds like you already have your books selected... what are they?

Well, so far I've picked out: (this is not set in stone)

Misty of Chincoteague

Where the Red Fern Grows

Island of the Blue Dolphins

The Incredible Journey

Anne of Green Gables

Tom Sawyer

Swiss Family Robinson

plus poetry, myths & legends and fairy tales and some Shakespeare.

(These will all be read alouds. She will still be doing history and her own literature readings ala WTM)

The Arrow (Bravewriter) has guides for poetry, myths & legends, and fairy tales, so I may go with those for that.

I know I can find literature guides for probably any of the other books anywhere, but I want something like The Arrow produces. Copywork/dictation and literary elements.

I also know that I can probably do it myself....but I don't want to. I want everything laid out for me this year. I NEED everything laid out for me this year. It is going to be a hectic one.

Thanks.

Yeah, do you already have a book list? Are you looking for a Unit Study based on a book? http://fiarhq.com/fiveinarow.info/beyondfiveinarow.html

I can't believe I had to click on that! That looks incredible too. Darn its. So much curricula, so little time...:tongue_smilie:

:svengo:

I own SL3 and all the books. I bought it years ago for my boys. She will read most of the books, (even the read alouds) for history. But I don't really care for the guides that go with them. We never used them before either.

No unit studies as I already have my other subjects picked out. I'm just looking for some simple literature guides.

I never could get into Five in a Row but I know many love it.

Thanks for the ideas though.

We used Inside Stories for a few years - I did really like how they were laid out. You may want to look at the books on each grade level and choose one that way - because to me the books run a little on the easy side for the grades they say they are for. You're probably in book 3 or 4....

Anyway - they were great, non-consumable, and you can either buy the books or easily find them at the library.

I've never heard of this, I'll have a look. Thanks.