Menu

Opinions about IEW Phonetic Zoo?

achristean

This program solved my 4th grader's spelling issues. He was never able to transfer what he learned in a spelling book to his writing until we started Phonetic Zoo. Listening to the rules and the words have improved his spelling dramatically. I am a fan.

Who knew a boy who seems to never listen was actually an auditory learner:glare:

I would give her the placement test to see which level to start with. It is found here, in case you haven't seen it.

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/spellplacetest

I would give her the placement test to see which level to start with. It is found here, in case you haven't seen it.

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/spellplacetest

:iagree:

We just started using Level A and spelling is now one of my DS's favorite subjects. :D He has always been a terrible speller so I'm glad that we found something that seems to be working for him.

Has anyone used IEW's Phonetic Zoo? What did you think? My dd really struggles with spelling. She's starting 6th grade this year and I'm not sure whether to start her in level A or B. Any suggestions?

I'd go with level A for sure.

Although there were a few easy lists, it was the right choice for my 6th grader who also struggled with spelling. He would have been overwhelmed if I'd started with B.

We've been happy with it--especially love that it has taken the stress that spelling caused between the two of us away. He goes to his room and does it himself. No battles or frustration for either of us.

I'd go with level A for sure.

Although there were a few easy lists, it was the right choice for my 6th grader who also struggled with spelling. He would have been overwhelmed if I'd started with B.

We've been happy with it--especially love that it has taken the stress that spelling caused between the two of us away. He goes to his room and does it himself. No battles or frustration for either of us.

Thank you for posting that. You have reaffirmed my decision to get level A.