Menu

read aloud suggestions...what would you do?

ABQmom

I have always read aloud to the kids for half and hour before lunch. I always choose books that go with our history. This year, we are using TOG and there is one read aloud suggestion for the entire year. My problem is that I have read most of the books to them already anyway. I'm not ready to repeat them until my youngest is ready to hear them. However, I can't give up that time. My kids will balk -- it is our favorite time of the school day together.

So, I am thinking we need to change our ways and read books other than history related ones. This would open up a whole new world for us I think, but we are so stuck in our ways that I'm having a hard time thinking of what we should read. What books would a 14, 12, and almost 10 year old like? It would be nice if my 6 year old could enjoy them too, but not totally necessary. I've done so much reading aloud over the years that I'm just plain out of ideas. Suggestions? What books are your favorites as read alouds that are NOT history related?

Little Britches series by Ralph Moody

Carry on Mr. Bowditch

Calico Captive

Pilgrims Progress

King Arthur by Howard Pyle

Robinson Crusoe- Unabridged

Little House- 14 yr old may not enjoy.

Roll of Thunder, Hear my cry

All of Kind Family

Timothy of the Cay

Amos Fortune, Free Man

Count of Monte Cristo- unabridged

A few series my kids have enjoyed with me:

Guardians of Ga'Hoole by Kathryn Lasky

Warriors by Erin Hunter

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Chronicles of Narnia

Other books I've read aloud to the kids: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer; The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn;

We got interrupted while I was reading Uncle Tom's Cabin. So we haven't finished that one yet (quite frankly I don't know if I'll be able to finish that without crying my eyes out. But it is a great one to share with your kids)

We love Avi. I am really blank on names right now....The Charlotte Doyle book is one of my favorites but so many are great read alouds for older kids, the one where the kid gets in trouble for singing the american anthem in school.

He has books that are interesting and also lead to great discussions.

Guest buckeye

My kids love read-alouds too. Last year we read Wolves of Willoughby Chase, Charlotte's Web, Fantastic Mr. Fox, James and the Giant Peach, and Island of the Blue Dolphins. Surprisingly, the only one that my then 7 year old didn't enjoy was Charlotte's Web. I would look through Sonlight's read-alouds and go from there. They have some great books listed!

My kids love read-alouds too. Last year we read Wolves of Willoughby Chase, Charlotte's Web, Fantastic Mr. Fox, James and the Giant Peach, and Island of the Blue Dolphins. Surprisingly, the only one that my then 7 year old didn't enjoy was Charlotte's Web. I would look through Sonlight's read-alouds and go from there. They have some great books listed!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Timothy of the Cay, Uncle Tom's Cabin, Wolves of Willoughby Chase...just a few we haven't read. I do have the Sonlight catalog and Books Children Love, but finding something we haven't already read or something all the kids will like is my difficulty right now. We like to reread too sometimes, but like I said, I'd rather save those rereads for another couple of years when my youngest and even my second youngest will enjoy them more. I'm looking right now for more that my oldest two will like the most.

Keep the suggestions coming! I just may get a full list from you all at this rate! Thanks. :001_smile: