Menu

abeka spelling questions.

misidawnrn

Ok, I am really thinking of getting Abeka spelling to go with our phonics, just so they all go together. I have SWO now but we have not been doing that as we work on phonics. DD is in the 1st grade although we have schooled all summer from K.

My questions are for anyone that has used it...does it have the spelling rules in it? does it follow the phonics curricula? (I imagine it does but I don't have the seatwork curriculum guide.) I am just trying to simplify our lessons and I think that if I have something that kind of goes together it would be easier. DD goes to her dad's 2 days a week and I have to send stuff there as well. I know the workbooks don't mess with the WTM attitude but DD does so well with them and likes them. (I like them too!)

Thanks!

Abeka's spelling does have basic, general spelling rules in it (i before e and so on; it also ties in with their phonics program. I use Phonics Pathways instead of Abeka phonics, and didn't have any trouble using Abeka spelling with it in first grade. The workbooks are colorful and engaging; they were just a little too much for one of my sons who needs just the words in black in white. He's a just the facts and no frills kind of guy. One of my other sons thinks the workbooks are wonderful.

My question, along the same lines, is do you have to use the corresponding years of the spelling and the phonics. My ds is doing Letters & Sounds 1 this year, but I didn't want to do spelling. So, next year, when he does Letters & Sounds 2, do we have to use Spelling 2 or could we use Spelling 1? I haven't seen Spelling 2, but I would like to do a gentle introduction to spelling next year....