Menu

Nap/Rest/Bed times

Can you share what time your kids nap or rest, how long they do so, and what time they then go to bed?

Schedule changes may be on the horizon here....

Thanks!

Up until a couple of weeks ago, my 2 year old dd would go to bed for the night between 8 and 8:30pm, and sleep until 7:30 to 8 in the morning. She would take a nap usually at around 1 or 2 in the afternoon, and sleep from one to two hours, though occasionally she'd sleep longer.

Lately, though, she's been refusing most of her naps, but still sleeps for the same amount of time at night. *rips hair out*

I have 5 year old twin boys. They have been fighting nap so I only make them take one maybe 3 times a week now. When we move and they have their own rooms, they will be having quiet time in their room for 1 1/2 hours each day (at least). I need it to regroup :-).

When they don't nap, they are in bed ready for story by 8:30 pm. That means jammies on, potty, and teeth are brushed. They wake up anywhere from 7:30 to 8:45 am the next day.

When they nap, they are usually up by 7 am, nap around 1:30 or 2 for 2 hours, and go to bed by 10 pm.

DH doesn't get home from work until 7:30 Mon-Fri so the boys have always had a late bedtime with a nap so they can spend some time with him. Missing nap is changing that a little.

Mendy

Both of mine stopped sleeping during naptime at around 3 years old. :glare:

Currently, they get up around 8:00am, take a one hour rest time from 1-2, and go to bed around 8:00pm. They settle to sleep about 9:00 usually.

IF my DD actually sleeps in the afternoon, she often won't sleep until 11:00 that night or later. So I've found that a rest time is preferable to a real nap in our house.

Big girl - stopped napping at 27 months (does fall asleep here and there at quiet time).

Gets up between 6am and 6:30am. Goes to bed around 9pm.

Small girl - one nap during quiet time (about 1pm). Sleeps no more than 1.5 hours. Goes to bed at 8pm and gets up about 6:30am.

These girls get up the same time every day no matter how late they go to bed too.:glare:

Edited by MissKNG

Ah, we just fixed those sleep schedules around here! They'd gotten all out of whack.

When all aspects are working correctly, DD4 goes to sleep at 8:30 and wakes between 8 and 8:15. DD7 goes to sleep at 9:45 and used to wake at 8:15 or so, but I recently discovered that if she goes to bed at that time now, she wakes between 7 and 7:20. This time does NOT mesh with my own ideal morning schedule, so now her lights out time is 10:00, and she's asleep by 10:15. THEN she wakes at the time I want her to! A mommy who was on duty until 9:30 p.m. the night before is NOT a mommy who is happy to see her kids 15 minutes after her own wake-up time in the morning. That guarantees that I get no time to myself whatsoever, and that does not work for me--or anyone really!

If you're looking to change schedules, I find that my kids have very definite sleep windows. They're about 40 minutes apart, and if I miss one, they're wide awake until the next one, no matter what I do. I also discovered that, no matter how much I believed that they would change their bedtime if they were exhausted enough and how hard I tried to make it work, the only way to make the change permanent was to back the bedtime up in small increments.

Once school starts again, we'll be re-instituting rest time in the early afternoons--probably for audiobooks for them and blessed silence for me :D

Oh, and ETA that I wanted to be the kind of mom who lets her kids read themselves to sleep at night, but DD7 (almost 8) will keep herself up until 1 a.m. that way. If I give her a strict lights-out time, she's out at the time she needs to be. I didn't want it to be that way, but sadly, it is.

Dd1 is 10, has a bedtime of 9 and an alarm that goes off at 6:45. She often wakes on her own around 6:30 and I suspect she sometimes doesn't stop reading until close to 9:30 or even 10, but she's *in bed* which is technically all I require.

Ds is 5. Bedtime is 8, and he usually wakes up within thirty minutes of 7 am, usually right between 6:55 & 7:05, though. No nap, though he is required to have "rest/quiet time" from 12 to 1:30 or 2. I use my discretion about how long he's required to rest.

Dd2 is 21 months. We *try* to put her to bed at 8:30 pm and *try* for her not to get up until 7:30 or 7:45 am. She's supposed to nap from 11:45/12 to 2/2:30. Sometimes this is interrupted if I have to cart the older ones somewhere, and sometimes she just wakes up after 45-60 minutes. Argh.

We still do rest time - usually 2 hrs starting around 1:30 or 2. They have to stay in their rooms and be quiet, even if they are not asleep. Playing quietly is fine.

5yo DD is understandably better at this than 3 yo DS, but he's learning. He also naps more often and longer.

They are usually up between 6 and 7 am and bedtime is 8:00 at the latest.

We start bedtime at 7 - bath, jammies, read, pray, snuggle, last drink of water, goodnight.

Generally we are in and done earlier in the winter than in the summer.

DS2 (almost 3) - only naps if we're driving in the car in the car around 5:00ish

DD4 - sometimes falls asleep on the couch before dinner, but is easily roused for dinner

DS5 - quit naps 3 years ago

DD7 - quit naps 5 years ago

The three older kids generally sleep 10:00-8:00 or 8:30. DS 2 goes to bed at 9:30.

When dds were little, they took 2-hr. naps each day beginning at noon. One dd quit taking naps when she was 2, the other continued until she was 4, bless her heart.

Bedtime was 7:30-8 until they were about 9 and 12 (except for Sunday and Wednesday nights, when we were at church), when we began letting them go to bed by 9, but could keep lights on to read for a little longer.

Both slept until 7:30-8 each morning. Praise God!:D

Since my kids were little, we've had a 1.5-3 hour quiet time every day. Now it is about 2-3:30 pm, and the 13 yo usually sleeps while everyone else plays quietly or reads on their beds. Their bedtimes are:

13yo & 12yo: 10pm

9yo: 9pm

6yo: 8pm

As long as they are quiet, they may leave their lights on to read for another hour after they go to bed.

The 9yo & 6yo usually wake up between 7 and 8 am. The 12yo and 13yo I wake up by 10am if they are not up already.

DD2.5 - bedtime between 8-8:30pm, sleeps until around 7-7:30am, and naps every day from around 1-4pm. She's a great sleeper. :)

DS7 - bedtime around 10pm (used to be 9pm, but he's just a night owl - so we've adjusted), sleeps until 8:30am (I wake him up - otherwise, he'd sleep longer) and hasn't napped since he was 18 months old

My daughter stopped taking naps somewhere in age 3, BUT will nap in cars very easily. It takes 40 minutes for us to get anywhere, so that's a nice nap-time for her for either the ride there or back. The other half we listen to audiobooks.

Since I'm a night owl and a pretty relaxed parent, I don't specify a bed-time. She usually goes to sleep around 10pm and gets up at 8am.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, my 2 year old dd would go to bed for the night between 8 and 8:30pm, and sleep until 7:30 to 8 in the morning. She would take a nap usually at around 1 or 2 in the afternoon, and sleep from one to two hours, though occasionally she'd sleep longer.

Lately, though, she's been refusing most of her naps, but still sleeps for the same amount of time at night. *rips hair out*

My 2yo started fighting naps shortly after she turned 2. Ugh! And she desperately needs them, too.

To answer the OP:

My 4yo and almost 6yo have quiet time from 2-4pm. 4yo ds almost always falls asleep at some point. I usually wake him up around 5pm. He goes back to sleep at about 7pm and wakes up around 6am. I get dd up at 4pm. She often falls asleep, too. She goes to bed at 8pm and sleeps until about 7am.

My DC are 6, 4.5 and almost 3. They wake up around 6.30am. They all have quiet time at 1pm until about 2.15pm. 2 or 3 days per week the youngest sleeps the other days she just looks at books on her bed or plays quietly. They are all in bed at 7.15pm during the week and between 6.45 and 7.15pm on the weekend. We hold dinner for DH to get home during the week.