Menu

Best secular Latin program for elementary?

mo2

Can you do Lively Latin for grades 1-2? It says its for Grade 3-6. It looks great!

Just in case Lively Latin is for older children, we do have Song School Latin, and although it's not secular, I think this is one thing we still might be able to use.

Minimus, so long as you already know some Latin yourself, or are willing to read ahead, or buy the teachers guide. Lively Latin is great for a slightly older child - dd started at 9 & LOVES it. Latin is now her favorite subject.

I thought I read somewhere that Minimus had some Christian content. :confused:

Can you do Lively Latin for grades 1-2? It says its for Grade 3-6. It looks great!

Just in case Lively Latin is for older children, we do have Song School Latin, and although it's not secular, I think this is one thing we still might be able to use.

I used it with my son in grade 2 last year. But his language arts skills are 2+ years ahead.

Absolutely, though I'd be hesitant to start LL2 with a child working at less than a 4th grade level.

Song School has two lessons on Christmas, one religious, one more general, and I believe 2 other stories which are very, very watered down versions of bible stories. Even those stories aren't particularly Christian in feel-they're there to have the kids intersect the Latin words they've learned, not to teach anything. (They do the same thing with Goldilocks and some other little stories-there's one every 5 chapters).

We're only part-way through LfC A, but so far the only place I've seen Christian content is in the chapter Maxims, and not all of those.

Oh yes, I'm using Getting Started With Latin for myself. It's so super easy and has free audio downloads! I never considered it for early elementary though, although there's no reason you couldn't use it for that.

I worked through GSWL a year or so ago. I enjoyed it. (Now I'm doing Wheelock's....ugh.) I hadn't really thought of using GSWL with my kids either, though.

Keeping in mind that we've only made it through 3 lessons in Latin for Children A, I haven't found it especially religious. It was a little surprising that the chapter maxim for chapter one was "In the beginning was the word," because I had thought it was a completely secular program. That was the only thing I've seen so far. I don't have a problem with a certain number of biblical references being thrown in; I figure it helps promote cultural literacy.