Menu

Miquon Math - Help

dasilva324

Hello, I am new homeschool mom to a 6 year old (1st grade). I ordered the Miqoun Math curriculum (Orange Book) and I received it in the mail today along with the First Grade Diary and the Lab Sheet Annotations. I am already confused and afraid I made the wrong decision on curriculum....has anyone out there used it and help me not panic on this one? :)

It can be a little confusing in the beginning. :-)

Your Lab Notations are your friend. You'll want to read through that before you start teaching. I, being a little OCD, lol, went through and added index tabs to each of the sections to make it easier to find them. I did this after I had taken the book to Kinko's and had the spine cut off and the book drilled for three holes, so it would fit in a three-ring notebook.

With Miquon, you can either work through all of the workbooks in order (orange first, then red, then...whatever), or you can follow a single concept through all six books if you have them (there's a chart in the Lab Notations which shows this; not all concepts continue through all six books). Your choice.

It is helpful if your dc is familiar with the rods before you start, although it isn't required.

You're supposed to sit with the dc and help him discover whatever the concept is you're introducing. There's a script of sorts in the Lab Notations. Then you give your dc the appropriate workbook page(s) so he can work with that concept some more. IOW, you don't give him the workbook page and teach him how to do it.

Your Lab Notations are your friend. You'll want to read through that before you start teaching. I, being a little OCD, lol, went through and added index tabs to each of the sections to make it easier to find them.

Oh my goodness, that is a great idea! Thank you :001_smile:!

And to the OP, I agree with the advice Ellie just gave you :001_smile:.

I start my kids out on playing with the rods before I start the worksheet pages. I only use Miquon as a supplement so I haven't given much thought to how to order it if one were using it as a stand-alone.

If you do a search for Miquon on this forum you'll find some good threads.

I start off with plenty of free play with the rods. I let them build towers and trains and whatever else they wanted.

I play a game - we put a bunch of rods in 2 brown paper bags and then each player pulls a rod out of the bag at the same time and whoever has the longest train wins the pair. At the end of the game, we line up our rods and see who won the game.

We build stairs, we make 10's, 9's, 8's....

I look ahead at future lab sheets and work the problems with rods orally so when ds finds it in the book it's "easy." It's a good thing if we go over a concept a few days before he sees the lab sheet.

Thanks for all the advice....I don't feel as terrible about the curriculum now. But I'm wondering if it's going to be enough...I've read so many people have used it as a supplement. Should I be picking up something else too?

For K, just "do it," and enjoy a playful way of dealing with Math. If it is for 1st, I'd read the whole First Grade Diary to get the drift of the whole year's focus, which is more than just the pages in the Orange book.

Oh, and my 2 cents on the workbook pages, is to page further into the book. If you are mathy at all, after the first few pages, the worksheets get more recognizable! ;)

For me, after reading the First Grade Diary, I realized I didn't want to/wouldn't be able to* teach math that way. But, I love the worksheets, as does my dd, so I use Miquon to reinforce the primary way I'm teaching math (Singapore).

*As much as I fancy myself as a groovy, touchy-feely teacher, I'm really a wise-cracking taskmaster, hence the decision. :tongue_smilie: