Menu

JAG question

laurad1125

We started Jr. Analytical Grammar this year and it's ... disconcerting.

We're in unit 3 and Ds11 is making some weird errors (like marking a verb as a noun?!?! - :confused: he's known what nouns and verbs were since 1st grade!) We haven't gotten to the unit on verbs yet and I know the manual says not to worry about things that haven't been covered yet being marked incorrectly but it's hard.

He's gotten a 76 and an 85 on the unit tests. :confused: I'd really like to see him doing better. The TM says that if they reach the competency level (and he does) to keep going. I'm just not sure though...

Is this how the program is supposed to work, is this not working for us or is it just too early to tell?

I'd keep going. I would make sure you're going over any errors with him every day. Make sure he understands why he got something wrong. Also, do a few sentences with him on new units to help him get the hang of it.

Thanks for the reassurance. I've been doing a few sentences with him on new units but not going over the errors. I'll start on that tonight. We'll keep at it for now.

thanks for making me feel better. I've been working with DS10 for the past semester trying to get him to tell me the parts of speech and it's not been pretty. He does the same thing, calling nouns verbs and vice versa--really discouraging when he identified "I" as the verb.:banghead: He KNOWS you can't "I" something. We're going to be starting JAG soon. Do you find it's working otherwise? Have you liked the program?

Laura,

I wouldn't worry unless it is continues to get worse. My oldest did well at first, and steadily did worse (though she had no previous grammar). By the time she got to Adverbs she was all over the place. The nice thing about JAG only being 10 weeks is that it was very easy to go back to the beginning and start over. I just copied the sentences onto a separate sheet of paper and had her do the assignments again. By the time she got to Adverbs the second time she owned it.

Heather