Menu

Seriously annoyed over what is a very silly mistake...

Hedgehog

Here in England, you go to school in the September of the academic year you turn 5 - ie, anyone who is 5yo between Sept. 2010 and Aug. 2011 starts school next month. But I have just realised that in Canada, where we are headed Lord willing in a year or so, children will start school next month if they turn 5 from Jan. 2010 to Dec. 2010. This makes a difference because? Three of my children, two of which are well into their HS journey, have birthdays between September and December. So rather than being the oldest in the year, they have suddenly become some of the youngest. I had been placing my 10yo in G5 and my 8yo in G3 in my plans for this coming year, only to realise (much belatedly) that they should actually be in G6 and G4 :001_huh:

So now I am having to figure out to how to catch up, since we are a whole grade behind - and more in a few things where they've struggled. Eugh.

You do not need to change anything! You aren't behind at all. I am in canada, and the way it often works is that if a child has a birthday somewhere near the second half of the year, lots of people hold them back and don't start grade one until the following sept. The only time it makes any difference is when you are starting k or grade one because that dictates when you can recieve funding (if you are in a province that funds hs). Keep them where they are and don't worry a bit about it.

Maybe I'm confused but what your saying doesn't make sense? According to your chart kids in England who turn 5 between Sept. 2010-Aug. 2011 start K, so basically dc would be anywhere from 5-to just turned 4 when they started. In Canada kids who turn five from Jan. 10-Dec. 10, so dc would be anywhere from 5.5-4.5 when they started. If you are in England than your kids should be younger?

And with HS, it doesn't make much difference regardless. My dd 13 technically grade 8 but will be doing grade 8, 9 and 10 courses this year. DS16 is in Grade 11 doing grade 12 courses.

I totally didn't think of HS when I replied. Depending where you are, you register according to age, but they do whatever work they are doing now, grade being irrelevant.

I wouldn't change anything, I'd just keep working. I'm not following the age/grade examples, but here in the US, 8 is a typical age for a 3rd grader, and 10 for a 5th grader--not off at all here. Some would even be 9 & 11 for those grades You're homeschooling & get to do what you want :-). If your kids ask, you can just say it's differences based on where you've lived--nothing about it is a mistake or anything to worry about.

Merry :-)

Here in England, you go to school in the September of the academic year you turn 5 - ie, anyone who is 5yo between Sept. 2010 and Aug. 2011 starts school next month.

This is not correct. Our son turns 5 in April 2011, and IF he was going to school, he would be starting Reception (Kindergarten) this September, (which is not compulsory), but not Year 1 (Grade 1) until September 2011.

This is not correct. Our son turns 5 in April 2011, and IF he was going to school, he would be starting Reception (Kindergarten) this September, (which is not compulsory), but not Year 1 (Grade 1) until September 2011.

The UK and US number their school years differently. By age, reception in the UK is the equivalent of pre-school in the US; year 1 in the UK is the age equivalent of K in the US; year 2 in the UK is the age equivalent of 1st Grade in the US, etc.

Laura

The UK and US number their school years differently. By age, reception in the UK is the equivalent of pre-school in the US; year 1 in the UK is the age equivalent of K in the US; year 2 in the UK is the age equivalent of 1st Grade in the US, etc.

Laura

I stand corrected.:blush: I wasn't too sure on the US grades. Thank you.

Thanks all for your contributions.

I think we're saying the same thing.. :confused: for me, "starting school" = "going into Reception" as that's the first year in a school.. depends whether you define Reception as school or not! And yes, it's not compulsory; I didn't mean to imply that going to school in itself was compulsory, because obviously we are permitted by law to homeschool. Neither is it compulsory for a child to start in September, although many schools seem to prefer it according to their websites, and according to the schools that I have personal experience of.

If the intake dates vary from country to country, (Sept-Aug, March-Feb, or Jan-Dec) then I would suggest that it's not quite accurate to say that this grade equals that year.

However, this wasn't really the point of my original post. I have been trying to ascertain what grade to place my children in, on the basis that we are planning to move to Canada next fall, and I would prefer to at least know where my children would be placed, if they went to school. I do plan to homeschool right the way through, but I'm aware that life doesn't always go the way you want, so I was wanting to make sure that should the children ever need to go to school, they wouldn't be behind. I guess I just needed to vent a little, but if anyone is from Canada I would be glad to hear exactly how it works for you in your province.

Thanks again.

I just saw your thread so my post is a little late ;). We are in BC. Here, if a child will be turning 5 by December of lets say 2010 then he should be starting K. K if I remember correctly is not compulsory so this same child would be starting school (grade 1) in September of 2011. My son has a late October birthday and according to BC law he should be starting grade 2 this year. It was our decision (I researched this before we returned to Canada and apparently others have done this too) to hold him back and have him start after he has turned 6, so he is starting grade 1 now but will be turning 7 at the end of October. This was mostly my choice but my husband also agreed of course :).