Menu

Cook's Illustrated - Best Cover & Bake recipe book question...

I used to have this recipe book: Cook's Illustrate Best Recipe Cover & Bake, but only really liked one recipe in it: the Chicken and Rice casserole, so I sold it at a used book store but forgot to copy the recipe. Now I'm craving this casserole. Does anyone have this book? I know the recipe will enough to stumble my way through it (I made it often enough) but I need a couple of quantities:

How much do I need of the following?

chicken broth

milk

flour to thicken the sauce (and at what step does this go in? Before or after the rice is added to par-cook?)

rice

ETA: PS I've checked the website (I'm a full member: magazine, website and now the "editors' choice recipes") and this recipe is NOT included there. Grrrr. Sometimes CI really bugs me. One of the reasons I signed up for the additional editors' choice recipes.

Edited by BikeBookBread

How much do I need of the following?

chicken broth -- 3.5 cups

milk -- 3.5 cups

flour to thicken the sauce (and at what step does this go in? Before or after the rice is added to par-cook?) -- 1/4 cup

rice -- 1.5 cups

(abridged) "melt butter; add onion, carrots, and salt; cook 8-10 min. Add garlic & cook 1 min. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until golden (about 1 min). Slowly whisk in chicken broth & milk; bring to simmer. Stir in rice, pepper, & cayenne; return to a simmer. Cover, turn down heat,stir often, 20-25 min."

I hope this is the right one -- it's the first chicken and rice casserole recipe (the rest are variations) but it's called "chicken and rice casserole with peas, carrots, and cheddar."

You've inspired me ;-)

~Laura