Finish the sentences:

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul make a habit of..."

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul always..."

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul never..."

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul prioritize..."

:bigear:

Most HSers who have made it for the long haul make a habit of..."

putting school as the top priority

having a schedule (flexible not in stone, but somesort of routine)

laughing with their kids

remember what their main goals of teaching were

remember it is ok to say no...you don't have to take on every volunteer opportuinty or prove yourself as super mom/wife

forget the chocolate

school

and family

laughing with their kids

remember it is ok to say no...you don't have to take on every volunteer opportuinty or prove yourself as super mom/wife

forget the chocolate

school

and family

:iagree:

I'll add one.

Most Homeschoolers who have made it for the long haul stop comparing themselves and their kids to others.

I'll add one.

Most Homeschoolers who have made it for the long haul stop comparing themselves and their kids to others.

Huh, I was actually going to write about both not comparing oneself to others (or your children to other people's children) AND I was also going to stress teh importance of eating chocolate. I think also the one thing that many veteran homeschoolers would say is that if chocolate IS important to make it in the long haul, you better be prepared to get your butt out the door and exercise, because one will certainly gain weight in the process. :D

laughing with their kids

forget the chocolate

school

and family

Finish the sentences:

picking themselves up off the floor, dusting off the battle debris, and getting back to just doing the next thing after a particularly difficult time....

....even when their feelings tell them they'd rather take a vacation in Hawaii alone.:D

picking themselves up off the floor, dusting off the battle debris, and getting back to just doing the next thing after a particularly difficult time....

....even when their feelings tell them they'd rather take a vacation in Hawaii alone.:D

Hawaii, hah! I've had days when I much preferred going out to the barn to shovel...(you know what), than to deal with school another minute!

But now that we're in 7th grade, I think I am in it for the long haul.

"This HSer who has made it for the long haul make a habit of...trusting God to direct me....if I'm uncertain about a subject/path/choice...I pray and it is made clear to me.

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul always..keep things in perspective...if life gets in the way...that in itself can be a teaching point..if we miss a week of math lessons..it's okay...we can still live and teach."

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul never..find the perfect curricula....it just isn't out there..but you can tweak it to fit the learning style of your children."

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul prioritize..the love of learning, treat children with respect and expect their best...when they're not giving their best...it's usually something deeper that needs to be found out and brought to the surface."

Finish the sentences:

1. ...getting the tough subjects out of the way first thing in the morning, and praying even before that.

2. ...consider their homeschooling philosophy in making decisions, but are not rigidly bound to any particular philosophy.

3. ...fail to think that they could do something better, but don't beat themselves up about it too much. They also never let their kids think that if they whine enough school will be cancelled. They might, indeed, cancel school; but they NEVER let their children view that as a result of whining.

4. ...a balance between jumping on special opportunities as they arise and sticking with their plans. They also prioritize a balance between playing to their children's strengths and getting them to make progress in their weak areas.

Finish the sentences:

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul make a habit of..." eating chocolate regularly! Taking care of themselves by eating well, exercising, resting,

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul always..." remain flexible and make the program/book/curriculum work for them, not the other way around

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul never..." panic for very long. They "work the problem" and find a solution to whatever needs adjusting.

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul prioritize..." life. homeschool is one aspect of life. So is food (grocery shopping, fixing), cleaning, bills, dance, sports, social activities

Off the top of my head......

Finish the sentences:

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul make a habit of..." Being very flexible

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul always..."keep the final goal in mind. Homeschooling is more than academics...or spiritual development or family ties or religous training or discipline...it is all of those things...plus many others. My goal is raising well adjusted, well educated individuals who become fulfilled in their adult lives, bless others around them and come to the purpose and plan God has called them to since the foundations of the world....No biggie:lol:

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul never..." EVER, EVER give up....we get upset, forlorn, overwhelmed....but NEVER give up....

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul prioritize..."The individualness of each of their children. If it is working...let it work. if it's broke, fix it. It is a priority that each child know that he is a blessing and he is put here for a purpose and that the child knows it is my goal to help them reach their full potential...not compare them with Joe Schmo down the street.

These are just off the top of my head. I had a terrible day today, and this post helped me re-focus on the "Never Give In " part of homeschooling....

Thanks,

Faithe

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul never had to deal with Diva, Tazzie and Princess, esp before coffee, chocolate or booze."

:lol::lol::lol:

I've got 3 dc who just might rival your little dears...

These are just off the top of my head. I had a terrible day today, and this post helped me re-focus on the "Never Give In " part of homeschooling....

Thanks,

Faithe

Thanks for posting! It gives me perspective to know you have bad days and make it through, and :grouphug: and wishes for tomorrow to include more chocolate and less troubles.

Finish the sentences:

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul make a habit of..." at least trying to really pay attention to each child every day."

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul always..."are thinking, reading, or talking about homeschooling or family."

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul never..."expect too much of any curriculum, homeschooling leader/organization or coops/classes but take ultimate responsibility for the education at home."

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul prioritize..." taking care of self and family."

having a schedule (flexible not in stone, but some sort of routine)

Maybe it's just living in the Bay Area where there is a big "unschooling" movement, but I'd say it's been my observation that the veteran HSers I know IRL are much LESS likely to follow an ambitious schedule.

The newbies seem to be the ones who are gung-ho even when it comes to very young preschoolers & the vets are really laissez-faire ("Your student isn't reading at age 9? Don't sweat it, he/she will learn when ready")

I'm starting my 4th year of HS and the 2nd time through K, and I find that I tend to fall somewhere in between. I can't picture myself getting as loosey-goosey as the vets I know IRL but I guess time will tell ;)

Most HSers who make it for the long haul have goals and take incremental steps to achieving them. Tortoise and hare, you know.

That's funny. I just got an e-mail from a friend who is startin K with her oldest. She was asking for advice. One of the things I told her was, "Slow and steady wins the race." :D

Finish the sentences:

...finding something new to love about homeschooling each year.

...treat homeschooling as a vocation, career, or profession. Pick your paradigm. But never back burner it as less important that keeping house or cooking a hot meal every night. Take it as seriously as you would were you working for someone else.

...remember to take the long view and avoid getting discouraged that things aren't going well today or this month

...stop learning themselves. I continue to explore, research, learn about child development, about my children, and about the History, Literature, Science and Math we are studying. I don't feel I need an exhaustive survey of their studies, but I try to stay interesting to myself.

...relationships over everything else. Skills, chores, character...none of it is as important as developing a calm, joyful, helpful and peaceful family environment.

Barb

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul make a habit of..." never taking themselves too seriously

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul always..." laugh once a day, and drink two glasses of wine

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul never..." let a day go by without getting an hour of quiet time to read trashy novels

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul prioritize..." having fun every chance they can

Hmmm, everyone has given your such amazing answers, forgive me if I repeat anything.

Being organized and having a schedule they stick to. School comes before anything else. By that I mean, before phone calls, before running errands, before other friends. Time suckers are everywhere...avoid them like the plague!! We don't get distracted or sidetracked...we do school everyday. Self-discipline is required for the long haul.

Think of homeschooling as a way of life. It is just who we are. We are homeschoolers. Public school is not an option in my educational philosophy. Yes, it's harder some years than others, but tough. We are focused on the long-term goals, not the short-term problems.

sweat the small stuff. And, most of it is small stuff. As we always say around here...."Everything glides off the ducks back. Be the duck." :lol: It also helps to look towards the future and remember, in homeschooling....the days are long, but the years are short. Before you know it, it's over. I still can't believe my oldest has graduated and my dd will this year. It went by VERY fast! Thank heavens for my 9 year old!

School and family first. Everything else is gravy. See the above answer.

Oh, and most important of all.....it is WORTH IT!! Every tantrum over math problems, every failed science experiment, every moment spent agonizing over curriculum....it is all worth it and I would eagerly go back and do it all over again in a heartbeat. The memories we've made and the relationship my dh and I have with our children is priceless. And, I know it wouldn't be the same if we hadn't embarked on this wonderful, wacky adventure we call homeschooling. Cherish it.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

Maybe it's just living in the Bay Area where there is a big "unschooling" movement, but I'd say it's been my observation that the veteran HSers I know IRL are much LESS likely to follow an ambitious schedule.

The newbies seem to be the ones who are gung-ho even when it comes to very young preschoolers & the vets are really laissez-faire ("Your student isn't reading at age 9? Don't sweat it, he/she will learn when ready")

I'm starting my 4th year of HS and the 2nd time through K, and I find that I tend to fall somewhere in between. I can't picture myself getting as loosey-goosey as the vets I know IRL but I guess time will tell ;)

It's not just your area! The ones I've known that go for the long haul become less rigid as they go along. There is still structure there, but it isn't the end all be all of their educational style.

I've always homeschooled ds and he's starting grade 6 in a couple of weeks. I get more relaxed about schedule each year, but we also seem to accomplish more each year. I can't help but think the two go hand-in-hand.

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul make a habit of..." putting school and family committments ahead of nice to have supplemental activities.

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul always..." remember that catalog write ups are in fact little advertisements, not reviews that will point out the shortcomings of a curriculum or the situation for which it is poorly suited.

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul never..." forget that doing homeschooling differently than your friends, your neighbors, your coop homies or your sister in law doesn't mean that you are doing it wrong and they are doing it right (or vice versa).

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul prioritize..." foundational skills that will be built upon year after year. That means that learning basic math and reading are more important than science or history. It doesn't mean that you have to wait until a child is a fluent reader until you explore Egypt or knights or the seashore. But it means that you shouldn't just expect to catch up with foundational skills "sometime" without putting effort in to those skills on a regular (possibly daily) basis. Kids do have windows when they are more ready for things like reading or when math concepts seem to click. But they don't just wake up one morning knowing how to read or do algebra.

I don't know that I consider myself a veteran homeschooler. I've been at this a little over seven years, but my oldest is just hitting middle school. But I've been blessed to know several who have graduated kids from homeschooling.

One more that doesn't fit a category. Wise homeschoolers don't stick with something that isn't working just because they picked it and feel like they have to finish it. On the other hand, they don't change just for the sake of following trends or looking for the perfect curriculum. There is no such thing as the perfect curriculum. And there really aren't curriculums that being educational mastery without some work on the part of the parent and the student.

I've always homeschooled ds and he's starting grade 6 in a couple of weeks. I get more relaxed about schedule each year, but we also seem to accomplish more each year. I can't help but think the two go hand-in-hand.

Funny, I've had the opposite. We're hitting year 8 and I'm finding that I need to be more scheduled than in earlier years. That doesn't mean 15 min increments or color coded schedules to show when I'm with child A or Children B&C or reading to all. (Although I did try that once. Worked great. For a week.)

But it does mean that if I want to work through an entire algebra book in the year, that I plan to do more than 2 lessons in a week and schedule accordingly.

My schedule is actually helping me not to be too ambitious. And to schedule in breaks and pauses.

What a fun thread. I love all the answers so far and wanted to think about how I'd answer these questions.

Most homeschoolers who make it for the long haul make a habit of spending too many hours on the WTM boards. It is important for our sanity and our own education on important topics like books, movies, tv shows, food and clothing. We sometimes obsess over curricula too.

Most HSers who make it for the long haul always are reading and learning themselves. They are enthusiastic and engaged at museums and lectures and field trips, exclaiming "oooooh that is soooo cool!" when seeing something for the first time.

Most HSers who make it for the long haul never --- I have to edit here. We learn to never give up on a bad day, to not let our kids push our buttons. It is the hardest lesson to learn. Those kids in the Sonlight catalog look so happy but ours can be so grumpy. The day to day reality can be so hard and frustrating!!

Most HSers who make it for the long haul prioritize family. Family movies, family read alouds, family games, family trips, family traditions, and lots of family discussions. Learning together as a family.

I have to share a story about family learning. My oldest teen, when coming out of a period of constant mortification over sharing a life, a house, or air space with the rest of us, grudgingly went on several guided tours with us while on vacation. After one of these tours he said, "You know what I love about my family. We are always the ones in the front of the tour group, raising our hands to answer questions, asking our own questions, being engaged in what the guide has to say." I almost fainted when he said this because for several years he was the champion eye-roller and groaner over anything slightly educational. But clearly he got it -- we are a family that loves to learn and share new discoveries. I hadn't failed as a homeschooler after all!!!

:thumbup:

Oh, and most important of all.....it is WORTH IT!! Every tantrum over math problems, every failed science experiment, every moment spent agonizing over curriculum....it is all worth it and I would eagerly go back and do it all over again in a heartbeat. The memories we've made and the relationship my dh and I have with our children is priceless. And, I know it wouldn't be the same if we hadn't embarked on this wonderful, wacky adventure we call homeschooling. Cherish it.

Wish we still had rep.

:thumbup:

We are starting our 15th year and I have graduated two so far, so I guess I am a veteran. :001_smile:

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul make a habit of..." making school the priority and not allowing interruptions. There is rarely a day that we just "cancel" school. I would also add that having a sense of humor is essential.

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul always..." have a plan to accomplish their goals. I have become more scheduled and less laid back as the years go by, especially on the essentials like reading, writing, and math.

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul never..." forget the real goals for their children. Mine is to raise well-adjusted, happy adults who love God and family and find purpose in their life.

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul prioritize..." their family relationships. My family is close-knit because we make it a priority to do things together as a family - learning experiences and activities that we do just for the fun of it.

My oldest got married this past weekend. I wouldn't take all the years we had together homeschooling for anything. Those years are precious to me.

Oh my....my thoughts exactly LOL! They either have not dealt with kids like mine, or they are crazy - like me :o). Ha. Seriously, what has gotten me through the long haul is the relationship that I've had the time to cultivate with my kids. My oldest is now a Soph. in college, next one gonna graduate next year....my baby is 13.....all of them (mainly oldest and youngest) have been tough, tough kids to parent. 13yo still is. I will NEVER regret being able to take the time to work on the relationships, the time to deal with the discipline issues, the time to set school aside if the situation warrents it. The time to read aloud to them. And yeah....I don't always want to take that time, cuz it means getting behind in something. But at least I can DO it.

Hawaii, hah! I've had days when I much preferred going out to the barn to shovel...(you know what), than to deal with school another minute!

But now that we're in 7th grade, I think I am in it for the long haul.

Yeah, I've graduated 2 children & my last one is in 10th grade this year. I'm hoping if we can just hold on one more year, he can start taking some CC classes.

Welp...you have yet to meet my kids...LOL...

Have YOU met Sam???

LOL:D

Not yet...

:lol::lol::lol:

I've got 3 dc who just might rival your little dears...

Thanks for posting! It gives me perspective to know you have bad days and make it through, and :grouphug: and wishes for tomorrow to include more chocolate and less troubles.

I don't know...Tazzie and Princess have the ability to band together to forge a force never before known to Man (or Mom)...other times, they're trying to eliminate each other from the gene pool.

And Diva...well, she's Diva. "I caaaaaaaaan't dooooooooooo iiiiiittt" "I'm soooooooooo duuuuuumb" "I'm stuuuuuuuuupiiiiid" All of which gets her into trouble because we don't allow anyone to call anyone dumb or stupid. And you can say you're having a hard time, or don't understand something, but never, "I can't" without having issues. She'll fold her arms and stare into space.

Its enough to make me wanna give 'a smack bottom' as Shrek puts it.

I've been thinking more of sipping margaritas on a beach in Mexico. But Hawaii works, too.

Most homeschoolers who make it for the long haul make a habit of spending too many hours on the WTM boards. It is important for our sanity and our own education on important topics like books, movies, tv shows, food and clothing. We sometimes obsess over curricula too.

Oh, and here I was thinking that I was a bad hs'er for spending time on this board. Phew! I'm glad to know I'm not doomed. :hurray:

Now. I need to go make some kids do math. :D

The word that comes to mind is tenacious. From m-w online: : persistent in maintaining, adhering to, or seeking something valued or desired.

It's sweet when, at graduation, your child turns to you and says, "Mom, I know you could have been doing a lot of other things. I know that you and Dad made huge financial sacrifices so that you could be home and school us. Thank you for pouring so much of your life into mine. I love you."

Every bad day, frustrating moment, failed experiment, etc. was worth it to hear those words!

(We had great days, too!)

We are starting our 12th year.

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul make a habit of..." teaching kids to work independently whenever possible.

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul always..." plan schoolwork out rather than go with the flow, especially in the upper grades.

Finish the sentences:

...habit of making school a priority. It comes before cleaning, cooking, etc... I treat it like a full time job.

...always keep going. Despite interruptions, or drs appointments, or even illness, we get our work done, even if it's late in the day.

....never lets a single day get them down. There will always be good and bad days. Some days are even horrible. But that would be true no matter what the job, or even if the kids were in school elsewhere.

...prioritize them-self. I need to take care of me. That means exercise, enough rest, and healthy food. That means I may spend extra on groceries to make sure I'm eating well, or leave the laundry undone, or kitchen dirty so that I can go to bed, or even that I use more textbooks so I can get more time to myself to fit in exercise. If my health or sanity suffer everything else around me falls apart. I'm worth taking care of.:001_smile:

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul make a habit of..." never taking themselves too seriously

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul always..." laugh once a day, and drink two glasses of wine

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul never..." let a day go by without getting an hour of quiet time to read trashy novels

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul prioritize..." having fun every chance they can

That's it - I'm moving in with you. :D

Finish the sentences:

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul make a habit of...actually doing school on a regular basis"

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul always...question their methods and make adjustments as needed"

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul never...gave up :D"

"Most HSers who have made it for the long haul prioritize...school/learning is the priority not housework, telephone conversations, or socializing"

My answers are in bold above.

Love this thread! Thanks for posting it. Here are my answers based on people I know who have "made it" not just in terms that yes they homeschooled for x number of years, but "made it" as in produced the kind of results that *I* am hoping for, i.e. did a good job of preparing their children for college.

Establishing school as a part of daily life. Just like brushing your teeth or combing your hair, it isn't something that you skip just because you don't feel like doing it. You do it because it's necessary and important and valuable.

Have a support system. Whether it's a spouse, or just one friend who understands what they are trying to accomplish and helps emotionally and sometimes even practically.

Part 2: Always put family first, and have very strong relationships with their children.

Forget their long-term plans, or fail to evaluate from time to time how well they are doing in approaching their goals.

Their time. Realizing that they can't do everything, they focus on what is most important. They do not allow for too many distractions, even those from well-meaning homeschooling groups and friends.

Finish the sentences:

Most homeschoolers who have made it for the long haul make a habit of ......not listening to the naysayers in reference to homeschooling.

Most homeschoolers who have made it for the long haul always.....keep a supply of _____ on hand. (Fill in the blank. Here it is coffee and chocolate.)

Most homeschoolers who have made it for the long haul never.....actually leave their kids on the doorstep of the local school even when they drive past thinking about it.

Most homeschoolers who have made it for the long haul prioritize......Home. School. In that order.

Originally Posted by DianeW88 viewpost.gif

I agree with all of that and would like to add - don't take it personally when the kids complain. It's not you, it's usually not the curricula. They're kids. They know to make noise to be noticed, they learned it as babies. They still try to practice it as teens :) Not many of us smile at a challenge or at being asked to do difficult work.

I'm working on that one. Every dig I take personally. That's not good.

Maybe I'll overcome this when the youngest is a teen? If so, I think homeschooling will be much better for me. I would also add remember it's hard work. A job...not a hobby.