Menu

What to do? What to do?

Would you leave your very responsible, but also very sheltered, 13 year old daughter home with your other 3 SLEEPING children (ages 3, 6 and 9) for 3-3 1/2 hours one night per week? Mom & Dad would be working together about 20 mins away (with the ability to drop everything and return home if needed). We would be reachable by cell phone at all times and we live in a neighborhood where our neighbors are less than 1/2 an acre away, in case of emergency. The hours would be from 8:30pm-midnight or 9pm-12:30am. She has taken a Red Cross babysitting class and has watched her siblings for short periods of time, but has never babysat at night.

This dilemma has arisen b/c my husband and I work a 2nd job together. Normally my dad (who also lives with us) is here to be the adult in charge and keep an ear on the sleeping kids. He just found out that he's going to have to work nights for the next month or so (8pm-7am).

What says the hive? If I don't leave my dd home to babysit the kids, then my husband will need to stay home with them all and I will have to do the job by myself (which means it will take from 9pm until about 2:30-3am.):confused:

When I was 13 and in 8th grade, I babysat twice a week for a child whose parents were nurses & worked the 3-11 shift. I was innocent, but mature. I even made him dinner with instructions and ingredients left by the parents, although they mostly left him something that I simply warmed up. I loved doing that. It was so peacful in their home (compared to mine with so many people!) and I got to do my homework in peace after I put him to bed. I knew to lock the doors, check in with my mother, and the family etc.

I agree...and that's what I'm leaning towards--especially since I would get all the other kids to bed first and she wouldn't have to worry about that aspect. My concern is that she (my oldest) normally goes to sleep around 9:30. Should I feel differently about leaving the kids with her if she would be sleeping (she is a pretty sound sleeper) (She shares a room with her two sisters and her brother is in the bedroom right next door to theirs--both upstairs).

I agree with paying her. If you don't feel comfortable with her sleeping,then ask her to stay up. I was babysitting some by myself at that age. I think I would have been ok if I knew exactly what had to be done each night, including how to lock up and secure doors.

We have no problems doing that with my daughter. We pay her $2.oo an hour.

My "only" concern would be about the one child waking up and possibly wandering the house. I'd personally have them all sleeping in the same room. I normally let my daughter stay up until we get home OR she goes to sleep in same room as her two younger brothers.

We have left my dd12 (very mature when charged with babysitting) with the other children on numerous occasions. The latest we have ever been out is 10 but I would have no problem leaving her later if needed. If you would rather her stay up until you are home have her take a couple hour nap in the afternoon.

I was babysitting for neighborhood kids at that age, and had no trouble staying up until the parents were home. I would pay your DD and get her some fun movies to watch. Do you have caller ID on your phone? When DS12 is babysitting DD7, I tell him not to answer the phone unless it's me and not to open the door for anyone.

Jackie

Yes, but

a) pay her

&

b) she stays awake unless you have a dog & assuming your kids don't sleepwalk etc. Even then, if she goes to sleep, I think I'd rig some small alarm thing on their door so she wakes if they get up.

We do have a dog...and no, none of my kids sleepwalk, etc. In fact, they all sleep like logs...and we have a baby gate on the room where the youngest sleeps--the little one couldn't open it, even if she happened to wake up.

Yes I would, but I would also pay her $2-$3 an hour so that she knows you are taking her seriously and you expect her to treat it as a job and not just a favor.

:iagree: This will also allow her to learn about money and responsiblities. This is if you can afford to do this, of course.

When I was 13 and in 8th grade, I babysat twice a week for a child whose parents were nurses & worked the 3-11 shift. I was innocent, but mature. I even made him dinner with instructions and ingredients left by the parents, although they mostly left him something that I simply warmed up. I loved doing that. It was so peacful in their home (compared to mine with so many people!) and I got to do my homework in peace after I put him to bed. I knew to lock the doors, check in with my mother, and the family etc.

:iagree:Yup! Me too. I babysat many children including awake infants at age 13, alone. No cell phones back then either. I'd do it. No worries.

When my oldest was 13, we left him many times with 5 siblings, one of them an infant and one a toddler. He was very capable. Sometime we paid him, sometimes we didn't. I think your daughter should do fine under those circumstances.

BTW, I'm not sure I would pay her. If you are part of the family around here, you pitch in to make things work. It's not something extra, it is just doing your share. We did pay our older kids for babysitting sometimes, but it was a treat that they didn't expect.

I would leave them, I would strictly charge them that oldest is IN CHARGE LIKE A PARENT in case they wake up, I would ask oldest to stay awake because I don't think anyone wakes up with young children the way that parents do, and I would pay her a nominal (non-babysitter) amount because she is responsible and having to stay up.

Honestly, even though I think I am the only one, I would not do it particularly not with her asleep. You mentioned that she is a heavy sleeper and I would not rely on her to wake up if there was a problem. I babysat for young children at that age as well but I think it was a mistake. Fortunately, nothing ever went wrong but I don't know that I was equipped to handle it if it did. If the 13 year old would stay awake, I might consider it then.

Would you leave your very responsible, but also very sheltered, 13 year old daughter home with your other 3 SLEEPING children (ages 3, 6 and 9) for 3-3 1/2 hours one night per week? Mom & Dad would be working together about 20 mins away (with the ability to drop everything and return home if needed). We would be reachable by cell phone at all times and we live in a neighborhood where our neighbors are less than 1/2 an acre away, in case of emergency. The hours would be from 8:30pm-midnight or 9pm-12:30am. She has taken a Red Cross babysitting class and has watched her siblings for short periods of time, but has never babysat at night.

This dilemma has arisen b/c my husband and I work a 2nd job together. Normally my dad (who also lives with us) is here to be the adult in charge and keep an ear on the sleeping kids. He just found out that he's going to have to work nights for the next month or so (8pm-7am).

What says the hive? If I don't leave my dd home to babysit the kids, then my husband will need to stay home with them all and I will have to do the job by myself (which means it will take from 9pm until about 2:30-3am.):confused:

I would leave her in that situation if I knew a neighbor was home that evening and could help asap. I would check that each week.(Sometimes 20 minutes is too much time to get there to help.)

I would NOT leave them if she is going to be asleep for any of that time. The reason is in case of fire. Young kids sleep way too soundly and can (and frequently do) sleep through a fire alarm.

Here are links to info on kids and teens sleeping through alarms:

http://hubpages.com/hub/What-Your-Kids-Cant-HEAR-Could-KILL-Them

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/fire-safety-measures

At the very least, I would try a fire drill at night, pushing the alarm about midnight and see who does and doesn't wake up and how well each child functions in getting out of the house. Let your 13 year old be responsible as she would be if you weren't there.

When I was 13, I was the only one up in a house full of company when the fire alarm went off! Some people woke up and were confused and didn't get up; I went through the house getting everybody up. THere was no fire. I agree with the poster to test the alarm and see how she handles it. Quite frankly, I am nervous to leave my dh home with the kids because NOTHING wakes him up.

But honestly 13 is fine. I would let her sleep in the room with her siblings and have her call before she turns in for the night.

My dd is a few weeks away from 12 and I have left her home with the 2 1/2 yr old. I guess I am the only one who would be more worried about leaving them at home at night. I think my oldest would even be afraid to be home alone at night. But then again I don't like being home at night without my hubby.

If it was 8-12 in the day, yes. But I night I don't think I would do it.