Menu

HWT - scheduling

quiz1

Hello-

You may have seen me asking about scheduling for another curriculum...sorry to be making others do my work!!! :glare:

I was just wondering if anyone here could let me know how much time they schedule for HWT K&1.

Thanks so much for anyone who can help!! :tongue_smilie:

Five to ten minutes. Some days are more teaching-intensive, others are more practice and little to no new teaching. The ten minutes happens on the teaching days, the five on the practice. (As the year goes on, I try to add copywork at a different time of day - I want to build up stamina for writing before I try for endurance, lol.)

For all our HWT lessons, I scheduled 10 minutes, although it usually took less time. At first, we did HWT everyday for Pre-K through K. Grade 1-2 Printing we did 3x a week. Now we're doing it only 2x a week, as my daughter has very neat handwriting and practices writing all day long. Sometimes my daughter only did what I scheduled (just a few pages), and she completed it in 5-10 minutes. Sometimes she wanted to go ahead, and still only spent 10 minutes.

That's what worked for us anyway. My daughter really took to HWT and handwriting. We just started their Cursive book.

If it was a short page, we did the whole page. If it was a long page, we did half the page. (Usually the conversation ran like this: dd - "do I hafta do the whole page?" *insert whiney voice* mom - "sigh. no, just do half"). We did a little every day. Their handwriting is really horrible, so I should probably pick up the next HWT book. Or teach typing. Or send them to school and let someone else agonize over it.

Other than that, I love HWT - I think it's an awesome handwriting curric. It's better if you don't have lazy, whiney kids, though.

If it was a short page, we did the whole page. If it was a long page, we did half the page. (Usually the conversation ran like this: dd - "do I hafta do the whole page?" *insert whiney voice* mom - "sigh. no, just do half"). We did a little every day. Their handwriting is really horrible, so I should probably pick up the next HWT book. Or teach typing. Or send them to school and let someone else agonize over it.

Other than that, I love HWT - I think it's an awesome handwriting curric. It's better if you don't have lazy, whiney kids, though.

Hey, I resemble that remark, lol. :001_smile: