Menu

How do you spell...

How do you spell y'all?  

1. 1. How do you spell y'all?

• y'all
    • ya'll
    • another way which I posted below

Any time there's a pet peeve thread, this one shows up.

It is a contraction of the words you + all. The apostrophe takes the place of the missing letters o and u. So, y'all.

Here's the subject noun pronoun grammar:

Singular:

first person - I

second person - you

third person - s/he, it

Plural:

first person - we

second person - y'all

third person - they

Here in SC it's spelled "ya'll" meaning "you all" in the singular..

If one were to address a group of people, one would say "all ya'll"...:001_smile:

This from a Yankee living in SC for the past 26 years...

ah, didn't see this post. I'm a SC reb living in a Yankee state.

I love LFC for the reason they discuss the use of y'all. :D The town next to ours has a big highway sign that uses y'all in the town greeting.

No way. Really? :lol: LOL. I was born in Alabama and my mom is as southern as they come but she would have a heart attack if I used y'all in written form. I should send her a link to this thread. :lol:

If one were to address a group of people, one would say "all ya'll"...:001_smile:

Now see, I'd debate this. In my experience (Southern born and raised), y'all is never used in the singular. Except in Hollywood productions with poor dialect coaches. At least y'all used in the plural is logical, if improper. JMO.

ETA - I agree with the second person plural insistent of ALL y'all! Usually used when addressing a bunch of youngins with regard to a mess that needs fixin...

Edited by AuntieM

The first time I saw "y'all" written down was when I got a beautifully written thank you note from my niece in AL the first Christmas after we got married. She used it twice in the same sentence!!! It seems the possessive is "y'all's". I was gobsmacked :lol::lol::lol:

Hmph. They needed to think about the spelling before they put up their signs. :D

Here in Texas, folks will also use "y'alls," as in "I'll be y'alls waitress tonight." :D

I am in Texas and spell it "y'all". It is widely acceptable in all forms of communication here and I often see it written on signs and slogans. The only time I see it written as the contraction-rule-breaking "ya'll" is by transplanted Yankees that are trying to fit in and not succeeding. I will admit that spelling "y'all" as "ya'll" is a pet peeve of mine. It's just wrong in my book (and most of Texas).

Also, I would only use "y'all" as a plural. Part of a group would be "y'all", but the whole group would be "y'all" or "all y'all", the latter emphasizing that everyone was included.

I am in Texas and spell it "y'all". It is widely acceptable in all forms of communication here and I often see it written on signs and slogans. The only time I see it written as the contraction-rule-breaking "ya'll" is by transplanted Yankees that are trying to fit in and not succeeding. I will admit that spelling "y'all" as "ya'll" is a pet peeve of mine. It's just wrong in my book (and most of Texas).

Also, I would only use "y'all" as a plural. Part of a group would be "y'all", but the whole group would be "y'all" or "all y'all", the latter emphasizing that everyone was included.

SC is not a Yankee state ;)

It is, of course, but sometimes it's confusing both orally and in writing. Orally it's confusing when there is a group present or a possible group implied in the conversation and the person/people you're talking with may not know who exactly you are addressing. I find the singular/plural you confusing when I am reading the Bible, and I'll often go look at my Spanish Bible to see if a verse that uses the word "you" addresses an individual or a group. It makes a difference sometimes.

Is everyone ready? That's clear.

Are you two ready?That's clear, too.

Hi guys! I'm female. I'm not a guy. How is this better than you all? Or "y'all" for short?

Do you want to go? Who? Me? Or all of us?

How are you? Who? Me? or all of us?

It is in the same category as "ain't". I was always taught, both at home and at school, to never say either because of the way they make people sound.

Not convinced. :001_smile:

Is everyone ready?

Are you two ready?

Hi guys!

Do you want to go?

How are you?

It is in the same category as "ain't". I was always taught, both at home and at school, to never say either because of the way they make people sound.

Depends on the situation. There are situations where proper English is called for. There are situations where proper English can come off as cold, calculating, and demeaning.

BTW, your comment, "because of the way they make people sound" reminds me of my stepfather's, "stop talking like a *n*" (I had a southern accent). There are various cultures in the US and dialects of English. In fact, the Europeans would say that YOU don't speak "proper" English. I say "ya'll", but I also spell neighbour, honour, centre, etc, yet I don't think it makes someone "sound a certain way" because they spell it differently.

y'all? Just curious :D

y'all would be grammatically correct, but I believe Twain and others spell it ya'll.

ETA: I'm a Yankee transplanted to the Southwest. I had never heard the word "y'all" before moving here and was terribly confused. I've never heard it used to refer to only 1 person. I will sometimes combine my Yank and southern and say "you all". I figured it's an acceptable blend of the Yankee "you guys" and Southern "y'all" with out the gender issues. lol

Edited by Cheryl in NM

Originally Posted by southcarolinamom

If one were to address a group of people, one would say "all ya'll"...

I'm not sayin' I agree with this style of speech, it's just what is commonly spoken, in these here parts. :D

In our Southernized Yankee home we typically say "you" meaning "one person" ie "you come here, please", or "ya'll come here, please", meaning "more than one person." I've been corrected on more than one occasion by a Southerner overhearing my speech saying, "Don't you mean all ya'll, honey?"! :lol:

Depends on the situation. There are situations where proper English is called for. There are situations where proper English can come off as cold, calculating, and demeaning.

BTW, your comment, "because of the way they make people sound" reminds me of my stepfather's, "stop talking like a *n*" (I had a southern accent). There are various cultures in the US and dialects of English. In fact, the Europeans would say that YOU don't speak "proper" English. I say "ya'll", but I also spell neighbour, honour, centre, etc, yet I don't think it makes someone "sound a certain way" because they spell it differently.

We were taught it makes people sound uneducated and ignorant.

And don't flame me and tell me you say it and how educated you are. You can be very educated. But if you y'all through an entire conversation, it makes you SOUND uneducated.

I've always done ya'll until recently when a northerner pointed out that he even knows how to spell it- y'all. I never thought about it til then, now I spell it y'all because it does fit the contraction rules.

I never thought about it either... probably because I don't think I've ever found a reason to put it in writing. :001_huh:

I think it's one thing to use it in slang speech, yet another thing entirely to include it in your written communications.

(And, yes, I'm from the South & live in the South.)

P.S. I agree w/ Renthead Mommy's comments too.

it's a contraction of you all, dropping the OU on you.

I think we should all say YOUZ and not worry about the pesky apostrophe. But that would make me sound uneducated and *hand to forehead* how would I go ON with my life?

So, what are youz havin' for dinner? (Lo, and behold, the sky did not fall.)

Edited by justamouse

it's a contraction of you all, dropping the OU on you.

I think we should all say YOUZ and not worry about the pesky apostrophe. But that would make me sound uneducated and *hand to forehead* how would I go ON with my life?

So, what are youz havin' for dinner? (Lo, and behold, the sky did not fall.)

No the sky didn't fall.

But I'd really have to think long and hard about hiring you for a job if you youzed or y'alled through the interview. And I'd end up checking my reciept to make sure you charged me correctly if you were ringing up my bill for something.

And don't flame me and tell me you say it and how educated you are. You can be very educated. But if you y'all through an entire conversation, it makes you SOUND uneducated.

Apparently you ignored or did not catch the part about appropriateness of when it's acceptable and when it is not. Yes, I happen to be very well educated, thank you. I can also speak with several accents and with none at all. There are times when the accents are appropriate and times when they are not as well.

No the sky didn't fall.

But I'd really have to think long and hard about hiring you for a job if you youzed or y'alled through the interview. And I'd end up checking my reciept to make sure you charged me correctly if you were ringing up my bill for something.

I agree with you on the first part, depending upon the type of job and the person. The second part I find over the top. There are plenty of people that say "ya'll" or "y'all" and are excellent at both customer service and cashiering. This is purely a prejudice on your part to ASSUME ignorance where there is only cultural dialect.

Apparently you ignored or did not catch the part about appropriateness of when it's acceptable and when it is not. Yes, I happen to be very well educated, thank you. I can also speak with several accents and with none at all. There are times when the accents are appropriate and times when they are not as well..

Well, sure. If you are speaking french, it is appropriate to do with a french accent. But I don't understand what that has to do with this conversation. Are you saying if you go to the south you should pretend to sound like you are from there? Because to me, that is making fun of people.

I agree with you on the first part, depending upon the type of job and the person. The second part I find over the top. There are plenty of people that say "ya'll" or "y'all" and are excellent at both customer service and cashiering. This is purely a prejudice on your part to ASSUME ignorance where there is only cultural dialect.

But how am I suppposed to know if you are excellent at customer service or your job if you sound like you don't know how to speak?

But some fail to full appreciate that in the deep South, the contraction may be for "ya all" and not the more standard "you all", which would account for those from the very deep South writing it as "ya'll". It is being assumed here that everyone says "you".....:D

I assume everyone intends to say "you", even if it comes out as "ya", since "ya" isn't a word. I know that's what I intend to say, even if it doesn't sound like it (after a week of visiting my family in TN, I'm relearning the word :lol:).

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread this morning (we are 12hrs ahead of EST)! I have to say that I know y'all is not standard/proper English, but after living overseas there is something just so comforting about hearing someone say y'all (or the southern dialect in general):D.

No, it makes you sound like you're from the South. I have never met a person who does not say "y'all," including every prof at every college I've ever attended.

I think there is a natural linguistic pull toward filling holes in the language, from second person plural to clarifying (and sometimes DE-clarifying) pronouns.

The right way: y'all.

It's a contraction of you + all = y'all.

I'm from the South, so I know, but I do have a poor, dear, misguided friend from further south (Missippi, to be exact, and that's no typo, that's how she says it) who spells it wrong: ya'll. Like fingernails down the chalkboard to see it that way!

That is all! ;)