Menu

Tile-topped table or kitchen island--good or bad?

In this case, it's a kitchen island:

http://www.mercantila.com/p/sunset-trading-cy-ki-tt-02-bch---black-and-cherry-kitchen-island-kitchen-island

DH and I are considering buying this for our kitchen. It's not my favorite, but it has the size and functionality we need. My one concern is the tile top. I've heard enough people complain about how hard it is to deal with the tile--dirty grout, broken glasses, etc.

If you've had a tile-topped table or island, how did you find it? Is there a way to make it easier to deal with? I was thinking I could put sturdy placemats where the kids will eat. Can the grout be sealed or something?

Any advice is welcome. TIA!

An inexpensive idea to consider! Go to thrift/antique stores, look for a base you would like, then put a marble slab on top...or even granite, but I prefer marble to cut on....you should be able to put the whole thing together cheaply! :)

Tara

:iagree: Or even go with a pre-made island and buy a stone slab top - still cheaper and no grout lines. :)

I hate to discourage you...but I absolutely loathe my tile counter tops. Though the island is adorable and functional, I would personally not buy it because of the tile alone. My grout is constantly full of food, dirt, liquid, etc. and requires far too much attention for my tastes! I've never broken a glass or anything on the tile, but the grime alone is enough to get me riled.

If you do decide to buy it, be sure and seal the grout well before use! It is small, so it probably won't be as irritating as my entire kitchen full of tile, but be prepared to seal, get a toothbrush for regular cleaning and to have a spray disinfectant handy for spraying it down regularly if you are germ-phobic!

You can put hot pots on them and they stand up to the heat. Yes, you need to scrub the grout down (see if you can seal it) but a bit of bleach and a toothbrush keeps mine looking great and my counter is about twice the size of the one in the pic. I scrub it about once a week. After 10 years, there is only one section of grout that I can't get cleaned.

I really hate my tile countertops. The grout is so dirty and I can't get it clean; however, that is such a small area that it's probably manageable. Also, do you know for sure if it's grout? I had a tile-top table but there was no grout between the tiles just some type of caulking that was pretty easy to keep clean.

I hate to discourage you...but I absolutely loathe my tile counter tops. Though the island is adorable and functional, I would personally not buy it because of the tile alone. My grout is constantly full of food, dirt, liquid, etc. and requires far too much attention for my tastes! I've never broken a glass or anything on the tile, but the grime alone is enough to get me riled.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Can't stand my tile bar. It was in the house when we bought it. Can't wait to replace it!

Depends....

Do you plan to live in your house for a long time or do you plan to sell?

If I were staying, we would put in grantie tile. I like the look and it is a fraction of the price AND Dh can put it in himself. BUT, we are from California where tile is norm in many, many houses, and now that we live in NC, everyone immediately turns up their noses at tile. They would rather have laminate than tile. :tongue_smilie: Even the mid-range homes ($300K plus) had some of them with laminate. I was very surprised.

So, we are getting granite or quartz. It will sell better.

Dawn

My kitchen bar is tile and I love it. DH actually made the bar and then tiled it. It is great for parties and having lots of room for dishes. I don't have to worry about trivets for hot food.

I've never had a problem with keeping it clean, (but I am a little OCD with cleaning so it has never gotten really dirty.) So far it has lasted through our oldest son and his family (2 grandchildren) living with us for several years and now it is still going strong with our last son.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I can't turn this into a project because I don't have the backup from DH--with his new job, he's already maxed out mentally and time-wise. He can put it together for me when it comes, but that's about it!

Now I'm looking at this one, which has a butcher block top instead:

http://www.allkitchencarts.com/Broyhill-5207-505-BRH2206.html

The other one is still in the running, because it's cheaper and has mostly good reviews, but based on some of the reviews, I thought I'd at least keep looking for now. I much prefer the style of this new one, and I love the pull-out feature. It would end up costing about $275 more than the first one (after a coupon), but considering this is replacing the huge kitchen remodel we opted not to do right now, I'm OK with the little bit extra.

I'd be happy to hear anyone else's thoughts if you still care to share. Ultimately, I would prefer granite, but it would be completely out of place in our current (very old) kitchen, and all the granite-topped ones I looked at weren't deep enough for my taste.

Thanks again!