Menu

Does anyone have experience with the math from the Art of Problem Solving website? I am considering using it for Algebra and up. I have the knowledge to teach up to calculus, as I have recently taken those classes at the community college level and did well in them. I am just looking for reviews of the program to see what other people thought.

We have used the Art of Problem Solving - Intro to Algebra, just the textbook (not the online course) and we love it. It is very inspiring, because you notice that the author really loves, and has fun with, math. The student begins by working problems and discovering relationships herself. There are a variety of exercises, enough to gain mastery, but all problems slightly different so that you have to actually THINK and can not just apply some drill. The challange problems can be really challenging ;-)

For my DD it has been wonderful, and DS is using it this year.

DD has now moved on to the Geometry book.

Any specific questions?

AoPS generates excitement about math. The mathiest (that is so a word!) kids spend so much time on the boards they consider it their version of Facebook. And even if a kid isn't especially math-happy, it's hard not to get caught up in the enthusiasm of AoPS.

The books and classes are terrific. But the greatest thing about AoPS, in my experience, is its sheer joy in talking about math.

Thank you for your reply about the AOPS. My only question is this- is it a good high school level program?

Beth

YES!

If you go to the website you will see that AoPS has two series, one recommended for students starting in 6th grade (that would begin with Intro to algebra) through 10th and the other Intermediate series 10-12th.

As far as academic rigor is concerned, AoPS covers everything a traditional textbook does and much more.

The Intro to Algebra book, though recommended for students as young as 6th grade, covers the typical contents of a high school algebra 1 course (in the first 13 chapters) and many topics typically reserved for algebra 2 (complex numbers, logarithms and exponentials, radicals...).

The best characterization I read about the program was posted on some review board - so I'll borrow that writer's phrase: "The standard book gives you the nuts and bolts. AoPS gives you the nuts and bolts and then has you build the Taj Mahal with them"

Disclaimer: AoPS is geared towards students who like, and are good at, math. Both my kids fit that description and do very well with the program. It may not be the ideal program for every child.

The best characterization I read about the program was posted on some review board - so I'll borrow that writer's phrase: "The standard book gives you the nuts and bolts. AoPS gives you the nuts and bolts and then has you build the Taj Mahal with them"

My favorite quote was on the old AoPS website and said something about AoPs being a juicy steak. LOL.