Menu

12 MUST-READ books ????

So part of my "turning 40" resolution is to read one really incredible book per month for the entire year until I turn 41. I read more than that per month but I want to pick 12 books, have a list, and purposefully read one per month instead of just randomly picking up books at the store and reading them.

So I need your suggestions. What books should I put on my list?

qualifiers- I read Pride and Prejudice...not all that impressed so I will skip the Jane Austen suggestions. I have read the LOTR books, Pillars of the Earth and the sequel, Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Three cups of Tea, The Help and the Book Theif this past year and loved them all (those are the most often suggested books).

So I need some new ideas.... HELP!!!! I am already 3 days in to the year and no list. :glare:

The People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

Fruits Basket - the manga series. It's 23 volumes (but comic book style, so you can get through one in an hour or two). I learned so much about love and forgiveness and grief and friendship in that series. Plus, it'll introduce you to a different style of reading.

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. One of the books I read this year (along with Catch-22 - similar themes) that altered my soul.

One comes to mind--

The Hiding Place. It is about faith and forgiveness--really radical forgiveness. Bessie Ten Boom will always be the sweetest spirit I've ever encountered, even if it was just in a book.

Seconding this. Excellent. It will leave a lasting mark on your spirit. I also love Knowledge of the Holy by AW Tozer. And for fiction, To Kill a Mockingbird.

Guest tiffany

I just read a book call Little Bee. I can not remember the author, and I've already let a friend borrow it. I bought my copy at Wal-Mart. It is a touching story about a Nigirian immigrant. It's sad, but a very good read.:thumbup: It opened my eyes to the different backgrouds of many people in our country.

So part of my "turning 40" resolution is to read one really incredible book per month for the entire year until I turn 41. I read more than that per month but I want to pick 12 books, have a list, and purposefully read one per month instead of just randomly picking up books at the store and reading them.

qualifiers- I read Pride and Prejudice...not all that impressed so I will skip the Jane Austen suggestions. I have read the LOTR books, Pillars of the Earth and the sequel, Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Three cups of Tea, The Help and the Book Theif this past year and loved them all (those are the most often suggested books).

So I need some new ideas.... HELP!!!! I am already 3 days in to the year and no list. :glare:

Dorothy Sayers' Peter Whimsey books. I actually started with Gaudy Night, which is one of the last in the series. I really liked it and have searched out the others. It is a little better if you know the story of Peter and Harriet, but it is also very good on its own.

Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian

The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk

QB 19

The Shadow of the Moon by M. M. Kaye (author of The Far Pavilions, but I prefer this book).

World War Z by Max Brooks (seriously)

Since you liked A Thousand Splendid Sons, try Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

I think All Quiet on The Western Front is one of those under-appreciated classics.

I'm still working my way through Moby Dick. One Day, I plan to be able to recommend for or against it. It is tough and I had thought I was widely read and had a good vocabulary.

If you've never read Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities was so much better when I read it as an adult. It still comprises almost everything I know truly understand about the French Revolution.

Let's see...(i can't resist this thread)...

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Larsson)

The Girl who played with fire (Larsson)

The Girl who kicked the hornet’s nest (Larsson….this is the best of the

trilogy, but I’d read the others first)

A Secret History (by Donna Tartt) (you'll read it in a day or 2 -- it's that

hard to put down)

The Heretic's Daughter

Middlemarch

Brothers Karamazov

Anna Karenina

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Tao of the Loving Couple

One Day (Nicholls)

Hudson Taylor and Maria

Cry, The Beloved Country..... I read this in high school. What an eye opener. I wrote the author, Alan Paton. He was too ill to write back but his wife did, which was really cool. I still have the letter. She shared with me why he wrote it (his sense of justice and equality), and thanked me for caring, as she thought American high schoolers didn't care about important things, and she was glad to hear from one who did (early 1980s).

What a great list. . . . .

I have loved Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes: Cultural Studies in the Gospels by Kenneth E. Bailey. It has radically enriched the way I read the New Testament.

If you're looking for fiction, I'd second CS Lewis Space Trilogy (rereading this myself), or Across Five Aprils (Civil War) or Baking Cakes in Kigali.

Have fun! Are you going to share what you choose???

With two exceptions, I've kept to the 20th and 21st centuries.

The Good Earth (save the rest of the trilogy for next year)

The Brothers Karamazov (Pevear and Volokhonsky translation)

The Sea, The Sea

The Baron in the Trees

Three Men in a Boat

Kristin Lavransdotter (Nunnally translation)

Never Let Me Go

The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Lillith's Brood by Octavia E. Butler

Gravity's Rainbow

In Cold Blood

The Five People You Meet in Heaven

Anything by Charles Martin especially the Maggie books

Of Mice and Men

The Outsiders

I don't really care for Sci fi but love historical fiction. The ones I listed were just ones that hadn't been mentioned. My hubby and dd loved the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. Hubby is reading the Space trilogy by C.S. Lewis now and says it's good!

:bigear:

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

The Awakening - Kate Chopin

Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll (seriously love this more as an adult)

All of Barbara Kingsolver's novels

Wild Swans - Jung Chang

Schindler's List - Thomas Keneally

A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

The Road - Cormac McCarthy

A Passage to India - E M Forster

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell

Little Women - Louisa May Alcott

The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd

And if you need something light and fun, you can't go wrong with Sophie Kinsella (who also writes under the name Madeleine Wickham) or Adriana Trigiani.

WHHHHHAAAAAT, you did not like P&P? There must be something in your water.

Ok, since I can't recommend that, I'll recommend this young adult novel....ok ok so why am I recommended kiddy lit? Because it's the one book I remember from my younger years. It's really good and bittersweet.

In Lane Three,Alex Archer by Tessa Duderhttp://www.amazon.com/Lane-Three-Alex-Archer/dp/0553290207

Pan by Knut Hamsun I think this one is available online for free.

I have several books I read every several years; a couple I saw listed here. One I didn't of those, I suggest:

1. Watership Down. Wonderful, brillinant story of rabbits and politics :) Not political, though. Just brilliant. I can't wait for my kids to read it. (I saw this one mentioned.)

2. The Once and Future King, by T.H. White. I do not care for Arthurian legend At All. Almost everything I've read I find, dry, tedious, and completely made-of-meh. This, however, is freaking brilliant! The characters are meaningful. The stories are touching and funny! If you only ever read one thing on Arthur. . .and Merlin, and Guinevere and and Knights of the Round Table, I'm begging you, read this. It will stay with you. I look forward to every read.

2. The Once and Future King, by T.H. White. I do not care for Arthurian legend At All. Almost everything I've read I find, dry, tedious, and completely made-of-meh. This, however, is freaking brilliant! The characters are meaningful. The stories are touching and funny! If you only ever read one thing on Arthur. . .and Merlin, and Guinevere and and Knights of the Round Table, I'm begging you, read this. It will stay with you. I look forward to every read.

You've read my mind! I've read that book 3 times now....

Additionally:

Poisonwood Bible

Life of Pi

The Histories - Herodotus (really - it's good and he has a rather witty sense of humor)

One Hundred Years of Solitude

The September of Shiraz

A Connecticut Yankee in King Aurthur's Court

In case you missed them in school...

Animal Farm

To Kill a Mockingbird

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

A Seperate Peace

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the whole series)

The Handmaids Tale (I haven't read it yet, but I always hear it recommended)

A Brave New World- Adolous Huxley

The Mists of Avalon- Marion Zimmer Bradley

The Beekeeper's Apprentice- Laurie R. King (first of a series)

Game of Thrones- George R. R. Martin (also first of a series)

The last three aren't quite classics, but they are some of my favorites.

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz - there are several translations from the Polish. Try to get one that is in the more poetic, older style rather than modernized English. Several are helpfully annotated as well.

A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken

The Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde

Have fun!

I have a few life-changing books that I recommend to everyone!

In my teens it was Jane Eyre.

In my 20s it was The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

In my 30s it was Doomsday Book by Connie Willis.

I am 44 now and I haven't found a new one yet....