Menu

Explode the Code as supplement to Abeka phonics?

ByGrace3

We are doing Abeka phonics for K but I am thinking I would like to supplement it. I was looking at the Explode the Code workbooks and really like them. Just wanted some ideas as to whether this would be a good supplemental program? If so, which books? 1, 1 1/2, 2? how many? how often? Lastly, is the teachers book necessary if I am only using them for supplementation? Thanks!

We use Explode the Code but not as a supplement to Abeka, so I'm not sure how it would fit in with that. My 10yo and 8yo really enjoy doing it, they think the little pictures are quite funny! They do their books once a week, and we've only used the whole number books. I believe the half numbers are for extra practice if you think your child would benefit from doing more.

Thanks, I guess I don't necessarily want it to coincide with Abeka, jsut offer practice for her. She already knows her letters/sounds and can read short vowel sound words and while I love the phonetic base Abeka provides, I don't want her getting bored, which I could see happening after a week of lessons. :) The explode the code books look right on level for what she needs practice on.

It would be fine to supplement it with A Beka. I did both last yr and in my opinion it was like going backwards. To me A Beka is head and shoulders above the ETC books. You don't need the TM for ETC, you just won't be able to do the test in the back of the book.

really? I have only done lesson plans for a few weeks, but ABeka seems to be moving quite slowly. Of course I have only seen the samples from ETC but they seemed more challenging than what she is doing right now with ABeka. hmmmm.

ETC is a great supplement.

We use OPGTR and ETC for phonics. He does 2 front/back pages per day and we're getting ready to finish book 2 this week---he struggled so I wanted to review. It takes him about 5 minutes. We should complete at least books 2-5 during 2nd grade, which I see by signatures is behind many, but I want to plug all of the holes that ps left last year! The 1/2 books are more review of the concept taught in that particluar level.

really? I have only done lesson plans for a few weeks, but ABeka seems to be moving quite slowly. Of course I have only seen the samples from ETC but they seemed more challenging than what she is doing right now with ABeka. hmmmm.

We used the total phonics program with A Beka. The clue cards,phonics blend cards, phonics flashcards, the TM for phonics, the handbook, charts, etc.. I used the program and she KNOWS her sounds. The ETC book doesn't really "teach" the material. Maybe if one uses the TM, but I am just not crazy about the ETC books. We are using them as part of SL's program, otherwise we wouldn't use them. Maybe it just happened to work better with my dd, but I have heard many people say that A Beka is tedious but their children do learn with it.:001_smile:

Thanks, I guess I don't necessarily want it to coincide with Abeka, jsut offer practice for her. She already knows her letters/sounds and can read short vowel sound words and while I love the phonetic base Abeka provides, I don't want her getting bored, which I could see happening after a week of lessons. :) The explode the code books look right on level for what she needs practice on.

If A Beka is moving too slowly for her, dump the TG and move forward. FWIW, my kids used A Beka for K and then we moved on to ETC with A Beka's "A Handbook for Reading" for 1st. I felt the two complemented each other nicely, and that way we could work at our own pace (which was faster than A Bekas). By mid-year, we were reading real books instead of the A Beka readers and that always worked better for us.

HTH!

Dorinda

Personally, I don't think that Abeka Phonics needs supplementing. It does start slow and will do the same thing each year. If your daughter already knows the stuff, there is really no need to hang there and bore her. Pick the stuff that she doesn't know from each lesson and move on. It will really speed up around half way through the year. (basically everything from their K4 program is in the 1st half of K5) My 5 year old started with some of the K4 and learned many of the special sounds (sh, spr, oo, etc.) from hearing her older siblings learn it. I just go through the lessons and pick things that I think that she still needs to work on and skip the rest. She is actually doing 2nd grade phonics this year and reads well. It is not necessary to stick to the lesson plans. Make them work for you. :-)

My daughter actually likes worksheets, so I have supplemented some just for fun with workbook like things. This was only because she was always asking for more, not because I felt that Abeka needed supplementing. For me, the key to using Abeka with my youngest was to just pick and choose and move on when necessary.

I hope that this helps.

Angela

• 2 weeks later...

We're big fans of ETC! Both DC love the books. You can go as fast or as slow as needed. For my DS, I have him do 2 pages a day, so a lesson is finished in a week, the entire book in about 3-4 months. He is a rising third grader and soon will finish Book 7. I let my DD, a rising 1st grader, work at her own pace. She sometimes doesn't do the book for a little while, then she will do a whole lesson in a day. She just finished book 6, but she was spending a lot of time on it to catch up to her brother. ;)

You might consider getting the TM for one book, then see the types of supplemental activities that they recommend. Each TM has basically the same layout, but of course with activities for the the current sounds. Great reinforcement that turns it from a supplemental program to a full phonics program IMHO. FWIW, we did Phonics Pathways. Love that program, too, but it got to be repetitious, and ETC was a welcome change of pace with which we stuck.