Menu

What do you say when people ask you...?

desertmum

I also state that we homeschool and I've taught my DC to answer the same. For us it's usually a conversation ender...so are most other questions I'm asked: how many kids do you have (4), what do you do for a living (SAHM), what does your DH do (pastor). I can end a conversation pretty quick! :lol:

We're surrounded by public school teachers and many of them aren't fans of HSing.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also state that we homeschool and I've taught my DC to answer the same. For us it's usually a conversation ender...so are most other questions I'm asked: how many kids do you have (4), what do you do for a living (SAHM), what does your DH do (pastor). I can end a conversation pretty quick! :lol:
How dare you be so boring. ;) :D

"We home school." The majority of the time, their response is, "THat's great. I wish I could home school." or "I wish they had that when I was in school." Most people in my county realize p.s. stinks for a boatload of reasons.

That's what I say and those are the responses I usually get, too. My county's schools are good, but I still get those responses most of the time.

We're surrounded by public school teachers and many of them aren't fans of HSing.

I do this too!!! And if I really want the conversation to end quick I say DH " is a Pastor and works for Big Oil!" Usually, I can make a dignified departure before their mouth can close :D!

Usually people ask my kids.. I let them answer and they always say they are homeschooled. When I'm asked I say the same thing. I just leave it at that unless they are interested in hearing more. Most of the time I get one of two responses... either people don't say much of anything or they make comments like pp have stated, "Oh, I could never do that!" or "Wow, I'm amazed...yada yada." I've had a few people I could tell don't agree with our decision, but... who cares! :D

This is me exactly!!

I've gotten a few negative responses but not too many. Usually it's the "Oh, I could never do that, I don't have the patience." My stock response is, "You'd be amazed what you can do when it's what's best for your kids." with a HUGE smile.

This even shut up my bil who's a public school principal. :D

OK, I admit, I love to say "We don't go to school'. We are not traditional hsers and we are not 'real' unschoolers. We do our thing...we don't go to school, nor do we recreate school at home.

I will then say 'We homeschool" if they look confused. Mostly people aren't and reply, "Oh, you homeschool!". Then I answer yes. :) I've not had any negative commentary at all. It seems everybody knows someone who is hsing.

I'm sure it's different in Dubai.

Edited by LibraryLover

I tell them we homeschool, and most of the time that is the end of the conversation. When they ask my kids they say "I don't go to school" which always elicits raised eyebrows in my direction as to why my children aren't going to school! That's my favorite one, personally. It's best when we are on vacation, floating in the pool, and total strangers ask where they go to school. None of their beeswax anyway :).

They are told that we homeschool. The kids offer the name of our school. Homeschooling is very common in Virginia so usually it just results in appropriate questions.

With people from the private school the kids used to attend, it results in THAT: 'oh, you couldn't afford tuition anymore' look.:glare:

This is me exactly!!

I've gotten a few negative responses but not too many. Usually it's the "Oh, I could never do that, I don't have the patience." My stock response is, "You'd be amazed what you can do when it's what's best for your kids." with a HUGE smile.

I love that response!

I so want to say "The Institute of Actual Learning", when people ask me that question, but so far, I haven't had the courage!
Oh I want to change my school name now.:lol:

That really depends on my mood. My favorite answer: They don't.

We do joke about saying an exclusive private school that's VERY hard to get into. ;)

Oh, and I'll share this here. At the gym a while back a boy kept commenting how tall my dd is. (She's tall, but not freakishly so, just taller than this boy who's her same age.) She said, "You think I'm tall? I'm the shortest person in my class at school!" ROFLOL. I love that girl! :)

I so want to say "The Institute of Actual Learning", when people ask me that question, but so far, I haven't had the courage!

:hurray::lol::lol: I had to share how much I loved your response. I haven't had the courage either. lol. I get tired of some of the comments and responses but I always say home school and I am proud to say so. If they only knew what their kids really knew.:001_huh: Still laughing.

If it is just someone on the street, I tell them we homeschool.

If it is a lawyer at a deposition, I tell them the children attend HomeLife Academy. Otherwise, I can get into trouble because we legally are not homeschoolers in our state. The kids are in private school.

What state are you in?:confused:

I just say "my kids are homeschooled."

If they have polite/friendly/interested questions, I'll answer them. I've never gotten a negative response yet. They've ranged from neutral to very positive.

My favorite was an older, retired school teacher who now gives Native American presentations and demonstrations for school groups, libraries, etc, who told me, "Oh, I REALLY approve of homeschooling!" :)

Originally Posted by Lolly View Post

If it is just someone on the street, I tell them we homeschool.

If it is a lawyer at a deposition, I tell them the children attend HomeLife Academy. Otherwise, I can get into trouble because we legally are not homeschoolers in our state. The kids are in private school

What state are you in?:confused:

I'm not the person you asked. But I'm in TN and have a guess she is too.

In TN, "homeschooling" is a different legal definition and requires very different paperwork and approvals and testing and such.

In TN, most of us who are teaching our children at home use a "church related school" option to do that. But that means "legally" the kids are in that church related private school. Home Life Academy is one of many such umbrella schools.

We're legally schooling our own children in an off campus setting as approved by the private school. But we're not "homeschooling" from the legal definition.

It's legal jargon. :lol:

-crystal

This is me exactly!!

That's exactly my response and it's true. I never planned on homeschooling. Never had a smidgen of interest in it. Quite honestly, I looked forward to the little break ps allowed. Not that I don't enjoy spending time with my children, but with a dh who is often gone for long periods of time, having a few hours where no one talked to me or touched me was actually appealing. But ps was not the best option for my kiddo and something had to give. I'm so glad, because I can't imagine NOT homeschooling. Major blessing to our family! We've all grown closer because of it. :D

We home school is my standard response. I simply move on unless they pursue it. Telling people I home school can be annoying because the next part is typically "oh, I could never do that because..." or the dreaded socialization questions. It's almost as though I'm supposed to offer some type of support or apology for the choice my family has made. I have gotten much better about not defending our choice and simply letting people talk.

Kelly

Like most of the others, I just say "We homeschool". But when asked about socialization I politely inform them that I have a MA in Sociology and "Yes, it was a huge reason we chose to homeschool". ;) They usually don't have much to say after that.

:lol::lol::lol:

That was my minor is college so maybe I'll start using that reasoning if people give me grief.:D

Usually my twin boys say, "We don't go to school," then they run off somewhere. I end up explaining for them. I am in Oregon and I usually get neutral or negative comments, mostly about socialization or diversity. A lot of people ask how hard it is. Our schools are pretty bad so I don't know why people are so against it here. Many times I end up in a long conversation defending our choice, I don't know why I don't just walk away lol.

I am actually thinking of coming up with a dual response. Right now we are stuck in the Gulf where homeschooling is not allowed for nationals. However, expat children are not looked into as they are not the responsibility of the country's ministry of education... So, to another expat I can happily say "We homeschool" and to the locals we'll say "private school xyz" just to be on the safe side. :tongue_smilie:

• 2 months later...

I had an interesting twist on this last weekend. A children's pastor, upon finding that we'd recently moved to the area, asked what school district we were in. :confused:

I'm not good at the social cues, lol, & I tend to answer questions literally, so I stared at him blankly, & said, "I don't know." Dh at my elbow had to say, "We homeschool." :lol:

Anyway, "we homeschool" is my usual response, & I love talking about it. The one time a person was really openly critical of the choice to my face was a really young girl, newly-wed, trying (& trying) to pass the teacher cert tests, & hoping to get pg before she started teaching so that the baby wouldn't disrupt her career.

Honestly, though, I don't think it occurred to her that her criticism of hs'ing (they all turn out so weird) might be taken personally by me or my children, who were, yes, there for her musings. :001_huh: :lol:

That's what you say now ? I thought your dc were in their 30's ? Perhaps I am mistaken ?

I'm assuming Ellie is telling us what she said when asked the question, as the OP is asking for advice on what to say, and Ellie has more experience with it than most of us.

I doubt anyone asks her that question when she is out with her children during the day anymore. ;) :D

Guest mrsjamiesouth
What do you say when people ask you "What school do you children go to"?

Do you say something like: "They go to Chesterfield Academy" (the name you came up for you home school) and hope they go away? Or do you actually start explaining about home schooling?

Why do I ask? Well, someone asked me that question and I cheerfully said "Oh, he'll be going to XYZ school!", and the lady proceeded to ask "Oh, where is that?" I then stammered "Err, my house". I know I sound like a wimp but I would like to hear others how the handle questions from near-strangers. Thank you! :D :bigear:

I smile and say they don't go to school. :D I make sure to walk away or change the subject too!

Like some pp, I say, "They don't (or they don't go to a school.) We homeschool." I think if you offer a name and then have to explain it, it could make you seem like you are hiding it. I also don't go into lengthy explanations, unless pressed for more details. Then I happily and kindly answer more questions.

"I couldn't stand being with my kiddos all day." --> "When you are going to be with them all day, you make sure they are kids you can stand."

"I'm not smart enough." --> "You'd be suprised how much fun it is to learn along with your kiddos."

"Our schools are excellent." -- > "That's wonderful. Our decision wasn't based solely on the quality of the public school, but on what we felt was best for our family."

"Do they get to be around other kids?" --> "Yes. We meet up with other homeschoolers, and they attend the same activities as a public schooled child might: Scouts, sports, etc."

"Do you have to give them some kind of test?" --> "Our state doesn't mandate testing for homeschoolers, but I can assure you that as their parents, we have a vested interest in constantly assessing their progress."

"Can they go to college?" --> "Yes, we will give them a diploma and transcript, and they will take the SAT just like everyone else. We are confident that they will do quite well."

If pressed more, then (and only then) will they start getting my more philosophical thoughts (peer dependence, limitations of testing, etc.)

I tend to take the role of advocate in these situations and always reply, with enthusiasm, that dd is home educated and that we're having a great time! Sometimes I go on to "brag" a bit about how well she's doing, but it depends on who I'm talking to. :D Actually, I just stay positive and upbeat about it and let people think whatever they want. At least they hear from someone in real life that hs'ing can be a good experience.

Hs'ing is becoming more acceptable these days, or at least people are becoming more aware of it. My goal is to become a good testimony to the world about the viable option of hs'ing. It may not be for everyone, but it's certainly a wonderful tool for those families that want to be more involved in their children's lives. Replying to people's questions in small conversations like this could perhaps open the door to other families who want more than what they have. This is, after all, how I learned more about hs'ing and ended up bringing my own dd home.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I don't usually get to answer this question. My kids always beat me to it with an enthusiastic "We homeschool". I have only gotten positive feedback/comments from those who have asked.

"I couldn't stand being with my kiddos all day." --> "When you are going to be with them all day, you make sure they are kids you can stand."

I laughed out loud! I have heard this from some family and am definitely going to use it in the future. So true!

I say that I homeschool too, matter of factly, which tends to stop people in their tracks, as they're looking to bond over public school. Many don't even know what to say, short from an "O". A few have said that it's great that we homeschool, and some have said the "s" word a few times :glare: Those who mention the s word usually haven't met my son :)