Menu

Photographers, need advice

So, I'm getting back into photography and wanted some direction on online courses and opportunities. I know the basics from the film days but for the last 10 years its been point and shoot. Now I'm investing in a dslr and need some advice on getting knowledge on photoshop and basically exploring the possibilities of creating a portfolio. Definitely not in the position to start a business or anything just want to relearn the craft and see what others are doing.

Someone on this board mentioned digital photography school which looks good, any other suggestions or places to find mentorship.

Any good online competitions to enter to keep my motivated to keep shooting and trying new techniques?

There are a number of good groups on Flickr. Also, I have some friends that have participated a lot on the ilovephotography forums. I keep intending to do so, but just haven't been able to dedicate the time. I have found digital photography school very helpful, too. I would get on one of those forums and ask for people's best/favorite resources.

I took one class through the community college and am self-taught beyond that. I do have a small business of my own. I am ever learning and improving. There are also tons of photoshop video tutorials and such. Pioneer Woman's blog posts on photography are good, and she has some free photoshop actions you can download. (Just google it. I'm too tired to find links at this hour.)

Hope that helps!

Mindy

you can PM me if you want. I can't follow threads much right now.

It's not an online course, but the forums on photo.net have been very helpful fto me. Some of the posters are on the .... edgy/opinionated .... side, so I mostly just lurk. There's a ton of information and ideas there. You might try searching for course information. Good luck!

Hi! Digital photography school is a great place for tutorials and general info and resources. My favorite website is http://www.iheartfaces.com They have a weekly photo challenge that is super fun! I really need to get back into posting there. They also have great tutorials. http://www.dgrin.com is another forum with good info.

You might want to check with your local community college. Ours offers classes on basic photography and photoshop.

Be really careful if/when you decide to post a photo for critique on places like digital photography school, i love photography, or dgrin. It is sometimes pretty harsh. I had someone make me cry when I first started out. Often photographers are not nice to each other. I don't do it anymore because everyone's idea of art is different. If I like it, my clients like it, and it speaks to me, then I'm good. It's really nice to find a small group of other aspiring photographers to help you out. I have two friends who are like me, just starting out, and learning new stuff everyday. We are each other's biggest fans, and that has been so helpful. Also, try and find a mentor who can give you constructive feedback to help you and not discourage you. There are many awesome and creative photographers right here on this forum!!

Take pictures everyday, experiment, and have fun!!!

I still prefer my film SLR, but did spend some time learning to use a dSLR. The crossover wasn't as intuitive for me as I thought it would have been, so there was a definite learning curve as far as the technical knowledge went. That came through plain ol' regular use; I aimed for 20-30 clicks each day, specifically focused on one technical aspect of using my dSLR (timer; external flash; manual focus; etc.) until I was master of my camera. The art aspect (composition, lighting, editing) came back straight away.

I spent a few years with the dSLR then eagerly returned to my film camera. During those years with my dSLR, the help at DGrin was phenomenal. The crowd there is mostly serious hobbyist/amateurs, so their passion is great and they truly desire to share with you ways to improve and grow as a photographer. What they won't do is hold your hand and pet your head when they're doling out their advice! This has hurt the feelings of several MWAC*, who hope to earn side income or otherwise be encouraged in their nascent skills. THe problem is that several MWAC-types bill and advertise themselves as Photographers (capital "P"), when their galleries reflect an underdeveloped skill level not quite reflective of their self-marketing or price-charging. They post pictures for critique with basic technical errors (the art side is subjective, but even then there are basic dos and don'ts of composition, right?) which contradict their presentation of themselves. And not that they intend to be deceptive, but perhaps overly wishful - but as such, open themselves to a more serious level of critique.

MWAC-types consistently seem to feel overwhelmed by the very honest critiques at DGrin. They're looking more for an encouraging style of critique that (IMO) sometimes seems disingenous in an effort to protect feelings and build people up. As someone who was truly interested in being pushed toward better skills, I didn't want someone to coddle me; I wanted the truth so I could learn and grow. I had my fair share of negative critiques there, but they weren't rude or overly harsh - just honest. In black and white text. I appreciated that. Visit the forum, and lurk for a few weeks to see if it's a good fit for you. They run frequent contests and challenges, and as a whole seem genuinely interested in helping new photographers grow. Most of the posters there remember starting out, and are eager to share their knowledge.

Have fun revisiting your new hobby!

*Mom(s) With A Camera

Thanks so much for the feedback. I went camera researching/shopping today. I've narrowed it down to the Nikon D5000 or the Canon EOS T2. Basically I like the feel/grip of the Nikon but it seems like the Canon has the added video and ability to have a remote flash.

Which while I'm not buying the camera for the video initially it does help to have it. Also I'm concerned about the Nikon not being able to have a remote flash, I know it will take me time to work up to it, but lighting is very important to me and I want to master that and not have a hinderance b/c of the capabilities of my camera.

Also any advice on buying camera's online. Is it really going to be cheaper once you add shipping?

Nakia you're so right about having a group of friends who are doing it with you. I wish I could find that and some good mentorship locally.

Thanks

Thanks so much for the feedback. I went camera researching/shopping today. I've narrowed it down to the Nikon D5000 or the Canon EOS T2. Basically I like the feel/grip of the Nikon but it seems like the Canon has the added video and ability to have a remote flash.

Which while I'm not buying the camera for the video initially it does help to have it. Also I'm concerned about the Nikon not being able to have a remote flash, I know it will take me time to work up to it, but lighting is very important to me and I want to master that and not have a hinderance b/c of the capabilities of my camera.

Also any advice on buying camera's online. Is it really going to be cheaper once you add shipping?

Nakia you're so right about having a group of friends who are doing it with you. I wish I could find that and some good mentorship locally.

Thanks

I always recommend http://www.adorama.com for shopping online. I have purchased several things from them and always been satisfied. http://www.bhphotovideo.com is another one that is highly recommended, but I don't have personal experience with them.