Menu

Favorite gluten free "junk food"...

I have been gluten free for about 8 months now and feel great. We eat at home mostly and are careful when eating out. I just discovered Amy's gluten free macaroni and cheese this week. It tastes great and is only $2.50. Any other suggestions for a quick meal or snack when needed?

They have GF boxed meals like Hamburger Helper that make for an easy meal. Many grocery stores are starting to have GF sections and there are many snacks and such. Pamela's Products cookies are so good! I also saw GF donuts in the freezer section at our local HEB. My friend who is celiac drinks lots of smoothies too. I don't know if I helped with snacks per say, but I HTH a little.

We love Pamela's Products (though I am dairy free as well, so many are out for me). Glutino pretzels are awesome; even my ILs (who so don't understand why we can't just eat whatever when we are with them) love them. Glutino "cream wafer" like cookies (the wafers with the filling between in strawberry and lemon) are also a lot of fun.

I have been gluten free for about 8 months now and feel great. We eat at home mostly and are careful when eating out. I just discovered Amy's gluten free macaroni and cheese this week. It tastes great and is only $2.50. Any other suggestions for a quick meal or snack when needed?

I love the Glutino brand pretzels.

Where do you find Amy's for $2.50? Is it boxed/dry or frozen? The only Amy's we have at our store is a frozen entre and runs $3.99. I've been making ours from scratch.

I have been finding the Amy's at our local Publix store. Sometimes it is $3.99 but lately it has been $2.50. I plan to stock up!
If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they have the GF mac & cheese (with the powdered cheese that you mix with milk) for $1.99 a box (IIRC - I went dairy free and rarely buy dairy for the house). I believe it is the same as the GF Amy's mac & cheese mix but under the TJ's brand name.

The first thing that popped into my head was "Snickers Bars!" :D I've been snacking on one too many of those the past few weeks (and Babe Ruth bars, yum).

If you liked Oreos, Kinnikinnick makes these imitation ones called Kinni-toos that are worth a splurge once in a while.

I also really like Mrs. May's Trio Bars, but I hope they're not junk food because I eat them for breakfast. :) They're great for a pick-me-up snack when you're down on energy.

I have been finding the Amy's at our local Publix store. Sometimes it is $3.99 but lately it has been $2.50. I plan to stock up!

I buy the Kirkland brand Mac and Cheese. I think it is .50 a box. I put the noodles in a bag and give them away to another family. I use Tinkyada GF noodles. It is cheaper than Annies and tastes way better. Kirkland does not have any food coloring in it either!

I love:

K-Toos (like Oreos)

Pamela's chocolate cake mix

Pamela's Brownie Mix

Pamela's baking mix

Pamela's pre-made cookies

Glutano Pretzels

Rice Crispy treats (Rice Crispies are finally GF)

Well....how about raw chocolate bliss balls? Gluten free, delicious, tasty, give you a chocolate fix AND they are good for you! Amazing, I know :)

The basic recipe is 1 cup of dates, or a mixture of dates and sultanas, raisins etc

And one cup of nuts- raw nuts- almonds, walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts, whatever you have.

And 2 heaped tablespons of RAW cacao powder (packed full of nutrition).

If you use soft fresh dates you probably dont need to add any liquid- if you use dry dates, you might need a couple of tablespoons of some sort of liquid like fresh orange juice.

Blend together (not sure how well a normal blender handles these but probably does ok) and roll into balls. I roll in coconut.

Optional ingredients- goji berries, coconut oil, maca powder, dried blueberries or apricots. Its a very adaptable basic recipe.

Well....how about raw chocolate bliss balls? Gluten free, delicious, tasty, give you a chocolate fix AND they are good for you! Amazing, I know :)

The basic recipe is 1 cup of dates, or a mixture of dates and sultanas, raisins etc

And one cup of nuts- raw nuts- almonds, walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts, whatever you have.

And 2 heaped tablespons of RAW cacao powder (packed full of nutrition).

If you use soft fresh dates you probably dont need to add any liquid- if you use dry dates, you might need a couple of tablespoons of some sort of liquid like fresh orange juice.

Blend together (not sure how well a normal blender handles these but probably does ok) and roll into balls. I roll in coconut.

Optional ingredients- goji berries, coconut oil, maca powder, dried blueberries or apricots. Its a very adaptable basic recipe.

mmm that sounds good. And very similar to Larabars which are basically dates and nuts with various added things to give them different flavour (lemon juice and zest or coconut or cherries etc)

If you have a Whole Foods near you (I've never seen them anywhere else, which is frustrating), Bell & Evans makes frozen GF chicken nuggets that I love. They're great for a quick meal--the kids and I can usually make lunch for the three of us out of one box (4-5 nuggets each) for $7 at the most. I usually wait until they're on sale for $3.99 or so, and then I stock up like crazy and get the case discount in there too. DH and I like to cut them into strips and add them to salads :D

I've also been making GF scones that Food4Thought recommended, and they're wonderful too.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes_detail.php?rid=115

I double the recipe and freeze the other one, then toast in the toaster oven when we want them. Yum!

Edited by melissel

Ladies, you are wonderful! Thanks for the great ideas. I discovered Kind bars this summer on our travels. They are nut and fruit bars but they're very expensive around here. I'll have to see if I can get them in bulk somewhere.

I love Blue Diamond NutThins crackers. Pirate's Booty is gluten-free. (It's like all-natural Cheetos.)

I lurve Larabars. I'm totally jealous of the fact you guys have them and we don't.

I've made homemade Larabars before. I think this was the recipe I based mine off of. (I don't remember, but I think I first found it through this board...) I made apple ones and coconut ones. They were super yummy!

Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone is close to the United Foods delivery area, but I just thought I'd mention that you can buy bulk natural, organic, and GF foods at a hugely discounted rate from United Foods. They deliver to co-ops but can hook you up with one in your area if there is one, or you can easily start one. We've been a member of one for many years now. It's so much cheaper to buy bulk. Here's the link: https://www.unfi.com/Default.aspx

Blessings,

Julie

You can get KIND bars in bulk (12 bars) for a decent price on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D0DMME/ref=oss_product

Bell and Evans makes good-tasting chicken patties and tenders. I use homemade GFCF rolls to make "Chick-Fil-A" sandwiches with the Bell and Evans chicken. ;-)

GF Chex mix is easy to make for a snack. I use the GF Chex, Glutino pretzels, some peanuts. Add butter (or ghee, if you're casein-free, or Earth Balance if you're completely dairy-free), GF Worchestershire sauce (Lee and Perrin's, I believe), and garlic powder, and just follow the directions on the package for baking/microwaving.

HIH,

Lisa

How "junky" are we talking here? Because I LOVE Kinnikinnik donuts... I also LOVE Udi's blueberry muffins.. We are also dairy free and soy free so we can't have some gluten free stuff.. I also like chocolate-covered strawberries rolled in chopped nuts.. Yum! I use Enjoy Life chocolate chips, melted.

Quickie meals or meal helpers found at "regular" grocery stores:

frozen taquitos

canned chili (Dennisons, I think Hormel has some GF varieties too)

quesadillas with those little corn tortillas

Bush's baked beans (A couple flavors are not GF, chili-something I think?)

tater tots (read label carefully)

Snacks:

Pamela's cookies

Glutino pretzels and bread sticks

corn chips, potato chips - plain is your best bet, but experimenting with dips is fun

fruit leathers

trail mix

Mi-Del cookies (gingersnaps are my kids' faves)

fresh fruit

plenty of junky candy is GF, if you don't also have food coloring issues

How "junky" are we talking here? Because I LOVE Kinnikinnik donuts... I also LOVE Udi's blueberry muffins.. We are also dairy free and soy free so we can't have some gluten free stuff.. I also like chocolate-covered strawberries rolled in chopped nuts.. Yum! I use Enjoy Life chocolate chips, melted.

Oh, I had forgotten about Udi's!!! We love their muffins - the chocolate ones are divine (I can't only eat about 1/2 of one because they seem to rich to me). I also love that Udi's products are also DF and SF, so I don't need to worry when we eat them.

We also sometimes get the Kinnikinnik donuts; just a warning for anyone GF who is also Feingold: I think it's the maple ones (but can't remember as it's been a while since we have bought them) has artificial ingredients.

When we were in Ohio, we found Udi's cinnamon rolls, but our store out here doesn't have them. :( Those were very good and much better ingredients than Kinnikinnik. :D

My current gluten-free guilty pleasure is a soy-protein drink from Bolthouse Farms called Purely Chocolate. It's getting hard to find as I think they have discontinued it (?), but you can usually find their Protein Plus chocolate drink.

I like them both, but the Purely Chocolate is just smoother and creamier. Delish! And better yet; all natural ingredients. I love them!

I love Blue Diamond NutThins crackers. Pirate's Booty is gluten-free. (It's like all-natural Cheetos.)

I've made homemade Larabars before. I think this was the recipe I based mine off of. (I don't remember, but I think I first found it through this board...) I made apple ones and coconut ones. They were super yummy!

Oh thank you! I've made my own before but that one definitely gives the best variety of flavours. Oh slurp, best I go buy some dates and nuts and start a-mixin' :D