Menu

Am I the only person who just doesn't want to leave the house in the summer?

My problem is 1) the sun. Some people get depressed if they don't get enough sunshine; I am the opposite. I need cool days, and grey and gloominess to be happy.

THIS IS ME! It started in Utah...the constancy of sunshine from about March on through November nearly drove me batty. it was even worse when we were in Tucson. I was downright giddy when it rained.

The regular weather changes here Where George Walked have been downright therapeutic! It seems... normal to me.

I wonder if it has to do with where one grows up. I am a Seattle native -- first 27 years were spent there. It is where I call home... and it has varied weather, more on the gloomy side (so people say :lol:). I LOVE those "cozy" days as we call them here in our home.

I can't stand summer either although not so much for the weather. In the south it was hot, humid and horrible but here it is so much better and it doesn't hurt having AC. :D

My problem is 1) the sun. Some people get depressed if they don't get enough sunshine; I am the opposite. I need cool days, and grey and gloominess to be happy.

And 2) It seems the warmer it is, the more stupid people come out in droves. Public school kids are out and about, crowds are everywhere, and the lovely neighbors are blasting thier music. I like the gloomy, wet weather because it drives people back into thier houses and keeps them quiet. :tongue_smilie: I am a freak, I know.

I grew up in the Seattle area, but now I live in the humid midwest. I thought I was the only one who actually gets happy when it's grey, misty, rainy and cool out. Then I get depressed when it's sunny!!!

Me too, I hate summer! I guess it's like the holidays, everyone expects you to be happy because it's the summer, which makes it even worse because you're not happy. I also am not into the outdoors in general so the expectation that I should be outside more makes me unhappy. (Although I love to be outside on a crisp, cool fall day).

Well, thanks everyone. I'm so glad to know I'm not alone in this! I promise myself every May that I'm not going to let this summer get me down, and like a PP said, by the end of June, I'm so ready for it to be over!

We don't live near water (the beach is at least an hour and fifteen minutes away) or have ocean breezes or anything like that. We're landlocked in the burbs :( Our little container garden is mostly dead from the heat (and from the fact that I stopped watering it once the squirrels discovered my few ripe tomatoes :glare:). We do have a little pool and that helps, but even that's losing its novelty *sigh*

It's cool and rainy here today, finally, so I'm feeling a bit better. I don't mind grayness, but I do like sun--I just like the sun in the fall! Nothing improves my mood like a crisp, cool breeze :D Hornblower's weather sounded good to me.

Thanks for the support, all. I needed it.

I feel horrible guilt about this, but July and August just make me depressed. This summer has been especially bad because I'm trying not to spend money, and all the free things are outdoors. I feel like we should be outdoors more, but I don't want to go outside. We're only in NJ, but this summer has been particularly nasty and humid. We can hardly even open the windows at night :( We had a very nice, cool day last week, and I couldn't believe the change in my mood!

Am I the only person locked in her house until September?

Nope, you're not the only one.

I grew up in MI but have lived here in TX for 14 years. You'd think I would be used to the horrible summer by now! But every summer I get depressed. It's supposed to be 106 today (nope, I just checked and it's 107 atm) and I'm pregnant and I've had it! I have all my blinds closed, because even with the a/c on, it's been hot in here. But when I close all the blinds it feels so gloomy in here.

I have sat in my house way more than usual this summer, but the heat just wipes me out. When not pregnant, we do try to have memberships to air conditioned places and that's where we go- the science museum and aquarium. Or we go to the library for the summer activities. But this year I didn't manage much of that.

Problem is, we will still have mid to high 90s all September. It doesn't get better until October. I miss seasons and milder summers.

ETA: I love cloudy, rainy days like a lot of you mentioned. We hardly get those here. People think I'm crazy when I say I'm tired of the relentless sunshine!

Edited by Annie Laurie

Nope, you're not the only one.

I grew up in MI but have lived here in TX for 14 years. You'd think I would be used to the horrible summer by now! But every summer I get depressed. It's supposed to be 106 today and I'm pregnant and I've had it! I have all my blinds closed, because even with the a/c on, it's been hot in here. But when I close all the blinds it feels so gloomy in here.

I have sat in my house way more than usual this summer, but the heat just wipes me out. When not pregnant, we do try to have memberships to air conditioned places and that's where we go- the science museum and aquarium. Or we go to the library for the summer activities. But this year I didn't manage much of that.

Problem is, we will still have mid to high 90s all September. It doesn't get better until October. I miss seasons and milder summers.

You know, this is one of the things that keeps me from pushing harder with my DH to move to TX. I would be so depressed for so much of the year from being stuck inside. I know people say you get used to it, but I truly do not think I would, and I would hate going from air-conditioned car to air-conditioned building 6 months of the year. I have a hard enough time with two months!!!

You know, this is one of the things that keeps me from pushing harder with my DH to move to TX. I would be so depressed for so much of the year from being stuck inside. I know people say you get used to it, but I truly do not think I would, and I would hate going from air-conditioned car to air-conditioned building 6 months of the year. I have a hard enough time with two months!!!

The weather is a huge drawback, imo. I like the freedom we have with hsing and other things. There is a big hsing community. Cost of living is great. Tons to do here. I like the people here. But the heat really ruins it.

I hate heat and crowds. We hibernate in July and August. We spend April, May, September, and October doing the things other people do in the summer: the beach, amusement parks, the zoo (the zoo is best in winter, because the animals are active in the cooler temperatures,) the parks.

We spend every bit of July and August we can happy in our home with the AC blasting, reading, playing games, cooking, etc. We're fair-skinned people, and we weren't meant for that much sun and heat. :001_smile: I hate when people schedule barbecues, picnics, birthday parties, etc. in the nasty humid heat (August in the Midwest is ridiculous.)

I live just north of Seattle but spent most of my growing up days in Hawaii, so I believe I am "cold -blooded". I get terrible grumpy when we have little to no summer (as I feel we are having this year). Why oh why must I wear a polar-tek jacket in June?! And sometimes in July?! My body needs to feel the sun. Fortunately I do not get SAD - just grumpy :lol:. Anyway, I don't mind cool weather, just give me a little sun with it.

BTW, I have also lived in the NE and the South and remember quite well going from air-conditioned office, to a/c car, to a/c home.

We spend every bit of July and August we can happy in our home with the AC blasting, reading, playing games, cooking, etc. We're fair-skinned people, and we weren't meant for that much sun and heat. :001_smile: I hate when people schedule barbecues, picnics, birthday parties, etc. in the nasty humid heat (August in the Midwest is ridiculous.)

:iagree: totally with everything you said. It seems nothing is scheduled outside when the weather is actually nice. LOL I've never been invited to a cookout in October. :confused: