Menu

Need foreign language suggestions.....

I am beginning research now for next year's foreign language. My ds wants to learn Arabic, but I am not sure how practical this is. I would prefer he do Spanish as we do live in Texas. However, he is likely going to be attending college out of state at a college that has a Zoology department and Spanish may not be as practical in say, Wyoming. :001_smile:

Anyway, I would like suggestions for both Spanish and Arabic. I want something that when he finishes he will actually be able to read and communicate with said language. My older ds did SOS Spanish I and II and barely remembers anything.

I have heard mixed reviews on Rosetta Stone so I am hoping somebody out there knows of somethings other than RS.

As far as practicability, either would be. Arabic if he is interested in petroleum business or foreign service (state dept, CIA, missions, Peace Corp, etc.) Spanish speakers are everywhere now--not just in the southern tier.

Can't help w/programs.

I personally don't think practicality matters. If wants to learn let him. He'd probably more motivated and enthusiastic in learning a language he wants to rather than one he has to. My dad hasn't stopped being on my case about taking German in school rather than Spanish--I really wanted to take Italian but it wasn't an option. Since then, I've married a fluent Spanish speaker, lived in Italy for two years and am now in Japan--haven't had a need for Spanish at all.:D

If he does really well in Arabic, it could open a lot of doors for him too. Sorry, but I can't help you with any programs. If he's old enough and it's available, is there a community college that he could take classes from?

It isn't a full program, but if he wants to have a taste of Arabic, your library may have access to Mango. Check their website to see if your library is listed. If he still likes it, go for a full program, if you can find one. If not, you'll have saved some money you can put toward something else.