Menu

Mission trips/volunteer experiences - help needed

Can any one recommend a program for a mom and a young teenager? I was thinking something like work trips, teaching, farming, something where we would be using our talents, bodies and hearts to help others.

Preferably something that would last a couple of months, be residential and not require a lot of money. Overseas experiences are welcome.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

I've searched and searched for something like this as well but it seems that all the programs require the kid to be 18. Must be some sort of insurance thing is all I can determine. I would think that a church group, maybe a local one, could provide some leads. It might not be as part of a group however. For instance, a single Dad we know takes his son to Central America each summer to work with street kids. But, he did that long before his son was born too.

Hoping some suggestions come from the Hive!

Mary

What about in Israel? Moshav Yad Hashmona takes volunteers and you serve in the guesthouse. It's near Jerusalem and was the greatest. Absolutely loved it and still feel homesick for it and Israel. I was there in 2003.

I'm not at a computer so I can't post a link. Try google and I can give a link tomorrow if you want.

I looked into it many years ago, and kibbutz volunteering with kids was possible, but you had to pay (as opposed to traditional kibbutz volunteering where they give you "pocket money").

I did find some places that took children / families for overseas volunteer when I looked online recently. They are costly though.

I looked into it many years ago, and kibbutz volunteering with kids was possible, but you had to pay (as opposed to traditional kibbutz volunteering where they give you "pocket money").

I did find some places that took children / families for overseas volunteer when I looked online recently. They are costly though.

Kibbutz and a moshav are not the same and I was paid for my work and received a room and food. It wasn't a large paycheck but making money was not the reason I was there. It was enough to buy a bus pass and shop in Jerusalem!!!

What about in Israel? Moshav Yad Hashmona takes volunteers and you serve in the guesthouse. It's near Jerusalem and was the greatest. Absolutely loved it and still feel homesick for it and Israel. I was there in 2003.

I'm not at a computer so I can't post a link. Try google and I can give a link tomorrow if you want.

Israel would be wonderful. I googled your recommendation and it looks good. I'll have to do more research.