Menu

Games-chess, checkers, other

bbrandonsmom

What types of games do you guys have, other than the traditional Candy land type ones? Ds really wants this one-

http://www.amazon.com/Pentago-Mindtwister-USA-Black-Natural-Solid/dp/B000GYZ3IO

He's grasped the concept of Checkers and we play that one. I'd like to start chess, but not sure what age. I keep seeing that 5 is ok and they can grasp it.

I admit, I haven't read much about how playing these games helps in learning. I've only read a few articles that say it makes the kids use a different part of the brain and it helps them learn better-especially for math?

A game similar to chess or checkers is Goblet X.

Cartagena is like Candy Land with strategy.

Ninja versus Ninja, Pirate versus Pirate and Castle Panic are all fun.

We also love Lost Cities (card game) if your kids can do math facts well, then it will do nicely.

Oh, if you want some more strategy, Fallen Lands is good and easily adaptable for the kiddos, but too much for the typical 5 yr old. It is pricey, but our current favorite, and Emily actually beat us a couple of times, though she does require assistance.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Pentago is a great game. You might also look at the multiplayer version, which allows up to four to play.

We play tons of games. My five-year-old can now play TransAmerica, which is fun for adults and kids.

Set, Carcassonne, and Blokus are also favorites here.

I'll have to check some of these out. Looks like almost everyone has Blokus and Bananagams :)

We have the bananagrams game, and now that ds can spell, I think he'll like it more.

I picked up the Pentago yesterday and it's fun. Ds caught on pretty quick. I wasn't really paying attn and he got me on 3 games! He's trying to teach his little brother to play it already. I didn't know there was a family version. Maybe after the little guy learns it, I'll look for it.