Menu

First Form Latin - Quiz/Test question

A.J. at J.A.

We're just getting ready to start this on Monday with my 6th grader and I'm looking through all of the curriculum. I was wondering, do you do the Quizzes and Tests as open or closed book?

I was thinking of having him do it closed book first, and then doing an open book session for him to find what he missed. I just don't want him to get used to relying too much on the book for the answers.

Any input would be appreciated.

Here is my attempt at a schedule - we'll hit Latin about 3 times each week:

Day 1: DVD, Worksheets I & V

Day 2: CD (review words out loud), Worksheets II & III

Day 3: CD, Worksheet IV, Oral Review, Quiz/Test

Blessings,

Angela

Here is my attempt at a schedule - we'll hit Latin about 3 times each week:

Day 1: DVD, Worksheets I & V

Day 2: CD (review words out loud), Worksheets II & III

Day 3: CD, Worksheet IV, Oral Review, Quiz/Test

Blessings,

Angela

We will start school on Monday and this will be my first year using First Form. I saw in the teacher's manual that they have a sample schedule showing Worksheet I & V on day 1, but I was wondering if you have figured out why they are not in order?

I think your plan for starting with closed book tests is a good one. My older dc say I should have started testing in various subjects at a younger age. We always did standardized testing, but I never gave tests in anything but math until high school. After sending one to college, I started giving more tests in the 6th grade.

We did open book IF you need it. I don't want my child guessing the wrong answer, but looking up the correct answer. I think the "work" of having to go find the answer helps cement that answer in your mind. But guessing the wrong answer, and then having to find the correct one later...well, that could potentially leave both answers lingering their mind so in the future, they not remember which was correct.....just my personal theory :).

So it's always open book IF you need it, at least at this age (12). He tries to do as much as he can without the book, but does reference the book once in a while.

We do closed book for the quiz/test, then open book for him to fix his mistakes. The quizzes help me decide what he has really mastered and what we need to go over some more.

And thanks for the tip about using lessons ! & V on the first day! I guess I should read my teacher's manual more carefully!