Menu

Science in a Nutshell or Nancy Larson - advice?

charlestonmom03

This is for a 2nd grader who LOVES science... and hopefully the 5 yr old can participate too. I am not good at pulling stuff together, so either of these would be worth the cost for me, I think.

He reads nonfiction science all the time and knows a lot about a variety of science topics already. Is one of these going to be more appropriate for him than the other? Is one more rigorous for the student?

Any advice would be appreciated. I just really don't want to have to pull my own materials together at this point, most likely we would just not get any formal science in (yet again) if I do that.

After looking into several different options, I fell in love with the Nancy Larson science. It is pretty open and go (which we need), but contains meaty content. I ordered it a couple weeks ago, but it is back-ordered until the end of the month. I can't wait to get cracking on it.

Have you looked a God's design for science? It follows the WTM recommenations, is very interesting reading (I've read the animal and plant books not the others, has some worksheets and nice hands on experiement/projects a book list to add more reading. You can easily make a science notebook. Check it out on Answers in Genesis

I too had been trying to find information on Nancy Larson Science. There isn't a lot of information out there and I wanted to be sure I was getting exactly what I wanted before I made the investment.

I had been using BFSU, which I loved, but it's just not easy to implement and so it wasn't getting done. With Nancy Larson, the lessons are scripted and everything you need comes with the books - definitely open and go. I have been assured that the program does not just involve memorizing a bunch of facts, but instead encourages kids to think.

The person I spoke with at Nancy Larson was Madon Dailey. She is the homeschool manager for NLS. She can be reached at 505-424-8989 or via email madon.dailey@nancylarsonpublishers.com. She was extremely helpful and spent a long time answering questions for me. I can't wait to get my hands on the program.

Jennifer

dd 6, ds, 4 & dd2

I also had to give up on BFSU. Wasn't getting any science done with it.

I then discovered Nancy Larson science, but after we started using RSO. RSO is fun, but I really think Nancy Larson looks so very cool. I probably will end up getting her Physics package soon.