Menu

Stupid "green" question of the day

I have heard that if I unplug my computer and use the charged battery, I will save energy.

But do I?

Let's start with the "what's in it for me" thing that all humans like to consider first: The battery for my laptop costs just under $200. I need to replace it every 14-20 months, depending on how often I use it. I don't believe I spend this much to power the computer in the same amt of time if I bypass the battery and leave it permanently plugged in.

Okay.

Now let's consider the rest of the story: What does it take to build these batteries and how to dispose of them? I understand that batteries contain mercury, lead, cadmium and nickel. With that and the plastic to encase them (and a whole host of other things I'm not presently considering) need to be made. Aren't there by-products of such sort of manufacturing? The battery in my computer is a lithium battery; apparently unused lithium batteries are used in meth labs. ??? What goes into making lithium to power this battery, anyway? And to get rid of such a toxic thing, we are to find "a recycling center near you". What then? How do they recycle these? What are the emitted byproducts of recycling them? And, seriously, how many people actually dispose of them at a recycling center? I know *you and I* would, because we are "responsible" individuals, but what of everyone else?

I like moving forward. I like becoming independent of waste. I love the idea of getting more simple and living closer to home. I don't like being fibbed to by the Powers That Be.

So, if I'm wrong, please tell me how I'm helping anything at all by using my batteries.

I remember seeing a documentary about where "recycled" computer parts end up. They are often shipped to China and the components are removed and separated into various elements in very primitive and toxic ways. In the city where most of this takes place almost all of the children have high levels of lead in their bodies. I do not know if the batteries go there as well but if they do proper precautions are not being taken during the recycling process.

Are you sure that you're not confusing unplugging a computer at night vs. leaving it plugged in while "off" when it still is using a small amount of energy?

Using your laptop battery at times, actually increases your batteries' life. http://www.bnet.com/blog/businesstips/5-tips-to-extend-your-laptop-batterys-life/6428

But I don't know if using your battery all the time would save you power.

Using hypothetical figures:

If I use 100 watts of power to charge and power my laptop for 2 hours

then minus 50 watts of stored power from the battery to use my laptop for 2 hours

then I would still have to use 100 watts of power to recharge and power my laptop for 2 hours. . .

= 200 watts of new power used for 6 hours of laptop use

or If I use 100 watts of power to charge and power my laptop for 2 hours

then 50 watts of power to just run my laptop (since the battery is at 100%) for 2 hours

then 50 watts of more power to just run my laptop for 2 hours

= 200 watts of new power used for 6 hours of laptop use.

At least that's how I would look at it.