Menu

Any Crazy Quilters Here? And I Don't Mean Not Sane...

I have some beautiful cotton print fabric that my aunt gave me. It would look beautiful in a quilt but I haven't the patience or focus or tools to do a proper one. I also love improvisation and embroidery and cheating by knotting my quilts (as if I've done tons. I've only done three and two were baby quilts!) rather then really quilting so...

Crazy quilt right?

I've been reading and people seems to say muslin would be a good foundation to sew the pieces on. Except I'm also cheap and lazy so I was thinking a white cotton flatsheet from my local department store might do. Any reason why it wouldn't?

Did I mention this will be all handsewn because I haven't learned to use my sewing machine (ahem, ahem...a black Singer 15-91 my GM-in-law gave me) yet and wouldn't want to bother with that anyway because in the true spirit of lazyness I would want to do this in front of a TV?

Der! Hey, you've solved a mystery for me! I had always wondered how they did the crazy quilts, and they sew it onto another layer. Why didn't I think of that myself? Or why didn't I look it up earlier myself?

I'm working on a crazyish denim quilt at the moment. Maybe I'm not doing it the right way, but it seems to be working.

I don't see why a cotton sheet wouldn't work, but as I've already demonstrated, I'm no expert!

Really I came in here to chat, not to be useful.

:blush:

Rosie

I sort of wonder about the "right way" when it comes to quilting. I mean it was originally a craft meant to use up and piece together what was on hand right? A frugal way to make something useful. It's seems now it's very much the opposite.

I have to admit, I get the most inspired when I'm going through piles of old blouses and drapery at a used clothing store rather then when I'm walking through a quilt shop.

I have to admit, I get the most inspired when I'm going through piles of old blouses and drapery at a used clothing store rather then when I'm walking through a quilt shop.

Lol, I'm experiencing that at the moment, except instead of seeing quilts, I'm seeing heffalumps! My kids have been watching Winnie the Pooh on dvd and the heffalump song is inspiring me. I want to make them for the Toy Society. But I'm still busy with the denim quilt. Not right this second, obviously. Right this second I'm following the election online and not being happy with the results.

Rosie

Quilting has become very rigid in my humble opinion. The borders must be blahblahblah. The pattern must be blah blah blah..... Personally, I like a thicker binding. Ever since I made my first quilt, I've used a thicker binding because......I like it. I can't tell you how many times someone has made a negative comment about it. Or, "one of your seams is off dear". Or some such. Our 2 local quilting stores have gone out of business. I do miss it because they carried the batting I like and the lady who owned one was very, very helpful. But, I do not miss the the oppressive atmosphere. Quilting is fun! If you like the follow a particular pattern just so - heirloom quilting, then that is great. But, if you like to make crazy quilts and relax, then that is great too!!

I have some beautiful cotton print fabric that my aunt gave me. It would look beautiful in a quilt but I haven't the patience or focus or tools to do a proper one. I also love improvisation and embroidery and cheating by knotting my quilts (as if I've done tons. I've only done three and two were baby quilts!) rather then really quilting so...

Crazy quilt right?

I've been reading and people seems to say muslin would be a good foundation to sew the pieces on. Except I'm also cheap and lazy so I was thinking a white cotton flatsheet from my local department store might do. Any reason why it wouldn't?

Did I mention this will be all handsewn because I haven't learned to use my sewing machine (ahem, ahem...a black Singer 15-91 my GM-in-law gave me) yet and wouldn't want to bother with that anyway because in the true spirit of lazyness I would want to do this in front of a TV?

You can use ANYTHING (well, almost) to sew the pieces onto. I've used old, thin sheets to crazy quilt on. I haven't made an actual quilt, but I've crazy quilted little things like summer hats, needle cases, purse tissue envelope-ish things, etc.. Skip the dept. store and go to Frenchy's or Beacon House or Sally Ann and find sheets! I find cotton sheets at these places all the time.

And another hint - Beacon House (I'm sorry, I can't remember how far you live from Sackville or if you even venture to these parts) often has "Bag Sale" days, when you can stuff a small garbage bag with clothes for $7, or a big one for $12. One time I stuffed a small bag with cotton shirts and silk shirts - a super-cheap way to get scraps of gorgeous fabrics for this type of project. Of course, now my craft shelves are overflowing, and the other day at Frenchy's I made myself put three pretty cotton sheets back in the bins. :D I really do have to use up what I have now.

Really I came in here to chat, not to be useful.

Rosie, I always know I'm going to find you on these types of threads. :D

You would LOVE a couple of 70s-ish craft books I am browsing right now.

I sort of wonder about the "right way" when it comes to quilting. I mean it was originally a craft meant to use up and piece together what was on hand right? A frugal way to make something useful. It's seems now it's very much the opposite.

YES!!!!!!

Edited by Colleen in NS

There is only one reason I can think of not to use a sheet rather than muslin. And I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying this is something you may want to be aware of when deciding. Generally speaking quilts have a higher thread-count than muslin. Basically that means there are more threads per square inch in the weave, which means they are packed together more tightly, which in turn means there's less room for "give" when you're trying to shove a needle through the fabric. If you're using a machine there's really very little difference when you're working with it, but if you're doing hand stitching it can be a little stiffer to push the needle through and your hand might get tired sooner. Also it can be slighty harder to get truly itsy bitsy teeny tiny stitches in the higher thread-count fabric. But the higher the thread count the longer the wear, generally speaking too.

Rosie, I always know I'm going to find you on these types of threads. :D

You would LOVE a couple of 70s-ish craft books I am browsing right now.

:D You have no idea. I've got magazines from 1969 around here. If you ever need a cross stitch pattern for a turnip cushion cover, I'm your girl. :D

Whoever said stuff doesn't make you happy didn't have the right kind of stuff.

Rosie

:D You have no idea. I've got magazines from 1969 around here. If you ever need a cross stitch pattern for a turnip cushion cover, I'm your girl. :D

Rosie

Turnips have cushions? Huh! Who knew?

Rosie

:lol::lol::lol:

And I collect (from thrift stores of course) 70s era craft books, because they actually tell you how to develop useful crafting skills, instead of giving you instructions just for specific projects.

I totally agree with your last statement! :D Raw materials, baby. I collect raw materials if they: 1. are free 2. are super cheap 3. appeal to me for some reason (colour, makeup like fabric/yarn/paper). And then I look for ideas on what to do with them. It's way more fun and challenging.

And another hint - Beacon House (I'm sorry, I can't remember how far you live from Sackville or if you even venture to these parts) often has "Bag Sale" days, when you can stuff a small garbage bag with clothes for $7, or a big one for $12. One time I stuffed a small bag with cotton shirts and silk shirts - a super-cheap way to get scraps of gorgeous fabrics for this type of project. Of course, now my craft shelves are overflowing, and the other day at Frenchy's I made myself put three pretty cotton sheets back in the bins. :D I really do have to use up what I have now.

Only about 30 minutes at the most. :D I'm in Antrim behind the airport. Feels like we're way out in the country but we're as close to the airport as the folks in Enfield and Elmsdale. I have to head in sometime soon...there's a new yarn shop on Sackville drive. :)

Rosie[/QUOTe]

Oh my. I have a similar stash. :) I'm a sucker for late 60's-70's craft stuff. Probably because that was the stuff around me when I was growing up.

Uh, WHERE????

http://www.fromewe2you.com/

546 Sackville Drive. I've haven't made the trip in yet but sometime within the next month I have to go. My dental hygenist in Elmsdale mentioned it when I went to an appointment with my knitting. Her mom owns the shop. :)

I posted some more pics in my "Things I've Made" album here on my personal site on these boards (I can't think what that's called, but click on my user name and you'll find the album). There are three crazy-quilted summer hats.

Oh wow! I love your space too. Right now I'm trying to sort out a basement room for all the craft stuff. However, that means trying to get the husband to hang the drywall he bought weeks ago.:glare:

:lol::lol::lol:

And I collect (from thrift stores of course) 70s era craft books, because they actually tell you how to develop useful crafting skills, instead of giving you instructions just for specific projects.

Yes! I have about a dozen "Goldenhands" magazines from that era. They were published in the Commonwealth and from the first to the last issue they gradually educate you on knitting, sewing, tatting, etc. and on the yarns, fabrics, tools, etc. you need to use. Brilliant stuff.

I think maybe the 70's were sort of the last decade where those skills were cosindered useful, important skills for a person to have rather then just the hobbies they seem to be now?

Yes! I have about a dozen "Goldenhands" magazines from that era. They were published in the Commonwealth and from the first to the last issue they gradually educate you on knitting, sewing, tatting, etc. and on the yarns, fabrics, tools, etc. you need to use. Brilliant stuff.

I think maybe the 70's were sort of the last decade where those skills were cosindered useful, important skills for a person to have rather then just the hobbies they seem to be now?

Oooooo, yeah, if we ever do get around to meeting each other, we should come armed with our books/mags.

I think you might be right. The 80s seemed to be all about *just* decorating, and then 90s and 10s (is that what it's called?) seemed to be about individual projects with individual lists of things to go out and buy at the craft store.

I started to read Radical Homemakers (but had to return it today to the library, as it's on hold for about a million people), and loved it because it talked about learning some of these domestic homemaking skills again, so we could gain some independence from the service industries out there, and big box stores, etc.. So this week, ds was saying he wanted to go to the dollar store to buy a plastic sword for a b-day gift for a friend, and I said, "How about we find something to make for him instead?" He wasn't too crazy about that, but I finally did find a cool game/maze set of cards to make, and it took me 2-3 hours yesterday, but I had fun with it (made a double-papered box using origami, to hold the cards), and ds agreed that it was a really cool idea, and THAT is saying something. All it took was my paper, markers, ruler, file folders (I have a cheap stash - ever go to Dartmouth Surplus? Another fave store of mine - it's in Burnside), and paper cutter. And copying of neat geometrical patterns from the book I found the idea in. I could have breezed ds up to the dollar store, but I want my kids to see that there is more to this than buying, buying, buying.

Rosie - you need to move to Nova Scotia so the three of us can look at each others magazines. :D

:iagree: and to create useful things together!

Oooooo, yeah, if we ever do get around to meeting each other, we should come armed with our books/mags.

Yup. Sometime in September I say. :)

I think you might be right. The 80s seemed to be all about *just* decorating, and then 90s and 10s (is that what it's called?) seemed to be about individual projects with individual lists of things to go out and buy at the craft store.

I started to read Radical Homemakers (but had to return it today to the library, as it's on hold for about a million people), and loved it because it talked about learning some of these domestic homemaking skills again, so we could gain some independence from the service industries out there, and big box stores, etc.. So this week, ds was saying he wanted to go to the dollar store to buy a plastic sword for a b-day gift for a friend, and I said, "How about we find something to make for him instead?" He wasn't too crazy about that, but I finally did find a cool game/maze set of cards to make, and it took me 2-3 hours yesterday, but I had fun with it (made a double-papered box using origami, to hold the cards), and ds agreed that it was a really cool idea, and THAT is saying something. All it took was my paper, markers, ruler, file folders (I have a cheap stash - ever go to Dartmouth Surplus? Another fave store of mine - it's in Burnside), and paper cutter. And copying of neat geometrical patterns from the book I found the idea in. I could have breezed ds up to the dollar store, but I want my kids to see that there is more to this than buying, buying, buying.

Haven't been to Dartmouth Surplus...Next trip to town I'm going to have to go.

I'm starting to dislike the Dollar Store. The toys are so cheap the kids don't need to put any thought into why they bought it and it inevitably winds up as broken clutter. That my sentimental daughter won't part with. :glare: