Menu

Classical Writing Vs. Phonics Road

AMDG

I've looked over these programs A TON, but I just can't seem to figure out which one would be the best fit for our family.

I have HS friends who use Phonics Road and enjoy it. However, Classical Writing, to me, looks like such a neat curriculum. My hesitations with it are that:

A) It's new and I don't know what the long-term effects would be

B) You have to make decisions for supplementing.

The idea of Phonics Roads is appealing b/c of the coordination of spelling/grammar/language. But CW looks really impressive, too.

Has someone done both? Any preference? If you use Classical Writing, what kind of supplements do you use?

Just wanted to say that I've been using Phonics Road and will be moving to Level 2 early this year. I like that it covers spelling in a OG way and literature and composition in a "classical" way. It should also cover all of the grammar my child would ever need for classical writing later.

Classical Writing really interests me too and I just realized that I can do both. I have been thinking I had to choose between Phonics Road and Aesop. But on second thought... I can do PR 1-4 over grades 1-4, then do Aesop in fifth grade, Homer in Sixth and continue with CW scope and sequence from there.

Just a thought. :D

Edited by Honey Bee

Thanks! That's a great idea to do both, I always get stuck in the box where I think you HAVE to stick with one thing.

The actual *WRITING* part of CW looks so good, and the students' work that people post on the CW forums is incredible, but I wonder if TPR is a more thorough program.

Anyone else?

Thanks! That's a great idea to do both, I always get stuck in the box where I think you HAVE to stick with one thing.

The actual *WRITING* part of CW looks so good, and the students' work that people post on the CW forums is incredible, but I wonder if TPR is a more thorough program.

Anyone else?

My first response was that they are really geared to different things, different grades.

PR, from what I hear, is geared towards phonics, reading, grammar and spelling. CW covers vocab, grammar and writing. PR is for grades 1-4 and CW without the primer is geared to grades 3 and up.

CW assumes a proficiency in spelling and recommends a SWR/WRTR way of marking up words, so doing PR would actually compliment CW later. It really isn't an either or, you can do both.

Heather

My first response was that they are really geared to different things, different grades.

PR, from what I hear, is geared towards phonics, reading, grammar and spelling. CW covers vocab, grammar and writing. PR is for grades 1-4 and CW without the primer is geared to grades 3 and up.

CW assumes a proficiency in spelling and recommends a SWR/WRTR way of marking up words, so doing PR would actually compliment CW later. It really isn't an either or, you can do both.

Heather

Hi. PR3 begins vocab and Latin studies as the approach to "spelling." If you finished the PR series (which you could take longer than 4 school years or not), it sounds like CW would be a nice next step.