Menu

Rightstart Math ???

mlktwins

So...I started Rightstart A with my boys this week. One of my twins is quite advanced at math (learned it on his own) and does it all mentally (for example can tell me what 177-39 is in about 5 seconds without seeing it written down). But...I wanted to start with A and work through at his pace because I don't want there to be any gaps.

We got to lesson 5 and I brought out the abacus. He flew through 1-5 of course, gets 5 and 1, etc. But I had him clear the abacus and asked him to do 8 (5 and 3). He did it in a second. I asked him what he saw when he did it. He said 10 - 2 (not 5 and 3). He understands the 5 and 3 because I had him do it by moving the 5 and the 3 and he knows 5+3=8 already. I haven't looked ahead, but I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem that he is seeing it this way (using subtraction)?

Thanks much!

I think he'll still figure it out. It's reinforced over and over. Honestly, being able to see it that way already will most likely help him as the levels go on. He can still see it that way, and try to see it other ways. I also think you should do B with him, A will probably go way too slow if he can do that kind of math in his head already!

I think he'll still figure it out. It's reinforced over and over. Honestly, being able to see it that way already will most likely help him as the levels go on. He can still see it that way, and try to see it other ways. I also think you should do B with him, A will probably go way too slow if he can do that kind of math in his head already!

We went through 5 lessons in 2 days and he would have done more if I were ready and didn't have a migraine :blink:. I'm guessing we'll do 10+ lessons a week and move onto B. I'm going to go ahead and order it now and can switch when it arrives and he is bored. His brother is not as enthusiastic about doing the lessons, so I'm working with them separately for math fromt the start.

Thanks for responding!