Menu

Wheelock's Latin Time Commitment

I am planning on joining a Wheelock's Latin study group that is starting at the beginning of September. They are talking about splitting it into two groups. One will complete a chapter every two weeks, and one will complete a chapter every week.

For those of you who have done Wheelock's, how much time does it take each day to do Latin and how much did you cover each week doing that amount each day.

I am trying to decide whether to join the fast track or the slow track.

Thanks so much.

Thanks Heather. It sounds like I will probably do the slower track, then. With the course you used. Did they use just the text, or did they use some of the supplemental materials as well? I think one of the groups will be using 38 Latin Stories. Does anyone know anything about that?

I am planning on joining a Wheelock's Latin study group that is starting at the beginning of September. They are talking about splitting it into two groups. One will complete a chapter every two weeks, and one will complete a chapter every week.

For those of you who have done Wheelock's, how much time does it take each day to do Latin and how much did you cover each week doing that amount each day.

I am trying to decide whether to join the fast track or the slow track.

Thanks so much.

If not, I would probably take the slow track. We did the first 24 chapters of Wheelock's last year using the MODG syllabus. The first 10 chapters or so (and then some other hit and miss things in later chapters) were review all review, so we went through those at a faster clip. Ds had done Prima Latina, Latina Christiana I & II, Latin in the Chrisitan Trivium Volume I and about 8 or 9 chapters in Latin in the Christian Trivium Volume II prior to our doing Wheelock's. We spent less time on those initial chapters (as does the MODG syllabus). With the later material - probably chapter 19 and on - we spent two weeks per lesson, 45 minutes per day. But, we do everything in writing except for the self-tutorial exercises which we do orally. We also translate the Latin story and have a quiz (provided in the MODG syllabus) every week.

Of course, depending on your available time and the amount of Latin you have already had, the faster pace might suit you better!

All the best with your decision.

We used Lukeion for Latin I last year. Lukeion covers Wheelock's Chapters 1-19 in the first year. It does not use any supplements during the school year (other than an optional pre-NLE Roman Culture series of classes).

During the summer Lukeion offers a short (four day) review of Latin I using the 38 Latin Stories book.

I have even heard of an online provider who only covers Chapters 1-10 of Wheelock's during the first year.

If I were you, I'd start with the fast track. It's a lot easier to shift from the fast track to a slow one than vice-versa in case you decide it's not for you. It generally depends on your time and previous experience with learning languages, some people might find it overwhelming, some might find it suitable. You can't know till you try. :)

The first few chapters of Wheelock are fairly easy. After that it gets harder. But if you start with the slow track and decide to catch up with the fast track, it is actually doable.

I found the 38 Latin Stories to be a nice addition. The Wheelock sentences are kind of dry, so it was nice to have something that was actually readable.

I got a bit disillusioned with Wheelock, though. I dropped out somewhere after about halfway through. The problem was that the book got less and less explanatory and I found I was just guessing about the translations. Also, there were some sentences that seemed pretty ambiguous in meaning. I've gone to another book -- Cambridge Latin. I'm liking this better as there is a lot more practice that makes sense to me. OTOH, I've found that what I did in Wheelock has been a big help.

I would make your decision based upon your previous time commitments with homeschooling. If your schedule is fairly busy and you have multiple children, then the slower track would be better.

Wheelock's is an excellent text, but it does get more difficult.

Edited by Michelle in MO

Well, Latin gets more difficult at some point... ;)

Yes, I guess that's a statement of the obvious, and is true for any subject, but I think my former point is also an important consideration: one's homeschooling schedule for high school and accounting for multiple children. :) I found homeschooling for high school much more time-consuming than the early years, and I went through Wheelock's after our kids were enrolled in private school.

Your advice is also very worthwhile, and I agree that someone could start with the fast track and, if that's just too much, switch to the study group following the slower track. I'm just offering my .02 worth, based upon my own experience.

Edited by Michelle in MO

Thanks for the input. I am absolutely new to Latin. I've never studied it before, although I've thought about it for a long time. I have studied French and dabbled with a few other languages. I don't have any kids, but do have my own business and am considering doing some online classes, or at the least, some self-education, so I don't have a whole lot of time. I'm thinking I'll see how it goes with the slower track, and if I find I have more time, I'll switch over to the faster one, I guess. They may end up just doing one or the other, so I may not have to decide after all!

Stacey, the study group is absolutely free. I haven't heard back yet when they will start, but it is supposed to be pretty soon. The beginning to middle of September. If you would like to join, here is the link to the website: http://www.quasillum.com/study/index.php

Here is the page where you can subscribe: http://nxport.com/mailman/listinfo/latinstudy

After you subscribe, just post to the list stating that you would be interested in a new Wheelock's Latin study group.