Menu

Grading scale question

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
If you use 90-100% as an A, do you consider 90% a full A for 4.0 credit, or do you mark it an A- and give 3.7 credit?

My ISP doesn't allow for the GPA to be assigned as you describe (it's 90% -100% = 4.0; 80% - 89% = 3.0; etc). Their academic rules seem to mirror the private school they're associated with so I'd imagine that's standard practice. Maybe I live under a rock but I've never seen it they way you describe.

Actually, We used 93-100% = A, 86-92%=B, 78-85%=C and anything under that on a test had to be completely redone (I think that happened once with my daughter in middle school). However, my kids are now in public school and they use 90-100%=A, 80-92%=B, etc AND it is all computerized so if you have a 89.5% it will round it up.

ReneeR

In our family, 90% is an A, period.

In college there is no A-. Even if the student makes the 90% by a tenth of a point, it's an A.

I am currently pursuing a masters degree and I have not found this to be true. Nor was it true when I was an undergrad.

I am currently pursuing a masters degree and I have not found this to be true. Nor was it true when I was an undergrad.

So how do they handle this? Do they give fractional number grades?

I am just curious - because in our university, when we submit grade through the registrar, there are no other options besides giving A,B, C, D and F, or Incomplete. It is not possible to give + or - grades

Guest Barb B

for us:95-100 is a 4; 92-94 is a 3.7;89-91 is a 3.3. . . The reason for me is that work that is 100 is different then a 90. Not that 90 is bad, but well there should be a distinction between 90 and 100. On ds transcript I have percentage grades for each of ds grades and a scale on the bottom. That way colleges can see that my son's 3.7 is like others 4.0 (so far his average is 94%). I encourage all to have percentage grades on transcripts becuase colleges will convert your dc's grades using their own scale. Since (I have been told!) that my grading scale is harsher then most - I felt it neccessary to have ds percentage grades on his transcript. Also, by using a harsher scale I hope to be letting colleges know that there are no "mommy" grades here (You know - no "fudged" or fake grades because I am mom). I want them to see that we are serious.

Just my opinion. Also - like I said it doesn't matter what scale you use - colleges will convert it to their own anyway.

Barb

Edited by Barb B

When I were in high school, 95-100 was an A, 90-94.9 was a B, 85-89.9 was a C, 80 to 84.9 D. The school in the next county used a 10 point scale. So their A was not the same as my A. My college used a bell curve to grade. I could never figure out what was an A because it shifted.

This is exactly what and why I'm doing as well. There is no letter grade on my transcripts. Just percentage and GPA as you describe. My dh's college transcript didn't even show a percentage, just the GPA. After reading another thread, I decided to add in the percentage mostly for ease of use by the college.

for us:95-100 is a 4; 92-94 is a 3.7;89-91 is a 3.3. . . The reason for me is that work that is 100 is different then a 90. Not that 90 is bad, but well there should be a distinction between 90 and 100. On ds transcript I have percentage grades for each of ds grades and a scale on the bottom. That way colleges can see that my son's 3.7 is like others 4.0 (so far his average is 94%). I encourage all to have percentage grades on transcripts becuase colleges will convert your dc's grades using their own scale. Since (I have been told!) that my grading scale is harsher then most - I felt it neccessary to have ds percentage grades on his transcript. Also, by using a harsher scale I hope to be letting colleges know that there are no "mommy" grades here (You know - no "fudged" or fake grades because I am mom). I want them to see that we are serious.

Just my opinion. Also - like I said it doesn't matter what scale you use - colleges will convert it to their own anyway.

Barb