Menu

What books changed the way you teach or view education?

crazyforlatin

I can think of three books that transformed my views on education:

1. WTM, which I read a couple of years, introduced me to classical education. I haven't wavered at all in my decision to provide DD with one.

2. The Latin-Centered Curriculum (second edition) by Andrew Campbell fine-tuned the definition of a classical education.

3. Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics by Liping Ma opened my eyes to the way math should be taught at the elementary level. I was rushing through fundamental arithmetic operations with DD until I read the book and started from the beginning again to give her a solid foundation for higher mathematics and a different way of viewing numbers.

If you have any books that shed light on the way you teach, please share them with me. I'm new to homeschooling and would love to have a list of books that transformed the hive members' way of approaching education or even child-rearing.

Edited by crazyforlatin

For me, books have been far less influential in changing how I home school than certain posters on this board. There are posters who ask hard questions, make solid curricula recommendations that fit our situation and then put the wind back in my sails. So by extension, I guess I could say SWB's generosity in providing this board has been most influential in affecting our home schooling in addition to providing much-valued friendships.:D

For me, books have been far less influential in changing how I home school than certain posters on this board. There are posters who ask hard questions, make solid curricula recommendations that fit our situation and then put the wind back in my sails. So by extension, I guess I could say SWB's generosity in providing this board has been most influential in affecting our home schooling in addition to providing much-valued friendships.:D

You are so right! This Hive has veered me in the right direction each time - without it, I never would have found Math Mammoth or even have known about LCC or Ma's book.

Teacing the Trivium by Harvey and Laurie Bluedorn. I don't do everything as they suggest, but it was life-changing.

Hearing Leigh Bortins (at a Classical Conversations practicum years ago) opened my eyes when she mentioned that we ALL learn via the classical model whether we realize it or not. First we must know the grammar of a subject, then we move on to the logic stage, and then the rhetoric. I had to have that articulated for me.

Also, I'm reading The Well Educated Mind right now. I hope it changes me and helps me regarding how I homeschool!

:)

Guest Alte Veste Academy

WTM

Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics by Liping Ma

:iagree:

If you have any books that shed light on the way you teach, please share them with me. I'm new to homeschooling and would love to have a list of books that transformed the hive members' way of approaching education.

Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling Series, When Children Love to Learn and, in fact, all my CM books

for science, Nurturing Inquiry

for history, Social Studies That Sticks

Liping Ma's book - I got this on a recommendation from here and man oh man did this ever help me see the light with math and how it should be taught.

The well trained mind - This was a huge eye opener to me. it really helped me to feel confident in my choice to homeschool my kids and gave me a place to build off of.

Although I'm not an advocate of unschooling, per se, John Holt's writings persuaded me towards homeschooling and away from the public schools. And "Hard Times in Paradise" by Micki and (her husband's name escapes me) Colfax. Also, "The Case for Make Believe" by Susan Linn (not really about homeschooling, but about childhood & VERY life-changing--got me to get rid of electronic toys & Disney--at least while my kids are small), A Thomas Jefferson Education, by Oliver van DeMille, and The Dumbest Generation by Mark Bauerlein. My philosophy is to read everything I can find and draw my own conclusions. Thanks for the recommendations from others for books I haven't heard of.

"The Underground History of American Education" by John Taylor Gatto.

This book made me a homeschooler to the core. I would have done ANYTHING to homeschool through 4th grade after reading it. Before that I was homeschooling as an inclination and a cozy, superior, attachment choice. After that I was a convert.

I've found the writings of SWB, ED Hirsch, and Liping Ma to be most helpful to me in developing my own philosophy of (home) education, but I find that the posters on these boards are instrumental in helping to to fill in the myriad of details.

Guest RecumbentHeart

LCC and also The Three Rs by Ruth Beechick have been the 2 most influential books for me. I keep them both close by. I would love to read Liping Ma's book but, in lieu of being able to do so yet, the forum has been influential in shaping me in that specific arena.

Edited by RecumbentHeart

Thank you for posting this.

For me - SWB and Liping Ma, thus far. I still have a lot of reading to do.

A huge thank you, Starrbuck, for mentioning Boys Adrift. I saw the title, and simply knew it would be a good read... Just checked it out on Amazon, read reviews, and have ordered it. I have an adrift young adult at the moment, and am not only struggling with how to help him, but how to help our younger son (6) to avoid that fate. Awaiting delivery of that book with excitement!

Pocketful of Pinecones by Karen Andreola led me to value my child's innocence and realize I wanted to help her preserve it by homeschooling.

WTM provided a framework to do that.

Creative Art For The Developing Child taught me how, as a preschool teacher, to value process over product in early childhood.

Real Learning by Elizabeth Foss made me want to foster gentleness and build relationship with my children (and made me wish I'd been baptised Catholic :D)

"The Underground History of American Education" by John Taylor Gatto.

This book made me a homeschooler to the core. I would have done ANYTHING to homeschool through 4th grade after reading it. Before that I was homeschooling as an inclination and a cozy, superior, attachment choice. After that I was a convert.

The Having of Wonderful Ideas by Eleanor Duckworth -- on the importance of exploration, guessing, and messing about in science.

Critical Lessons by Nel Noddings -- crucial aspects of thought and life we usually omit from academics

And the Skylark Sings With Me by David Albert -- annoying as he can sometimes be, this book is great for moving away from the idea of homeschool as taking place on paper and from textbooks, even away from "alternate curricula," out into the larger community

Out of the Labyrinth: Setting Mathematics Free by Robert and Ellen Kaplan -- discusses the exploratory, collaborative nature of the original Math Circle, and takes math out of the purely computational, makes it exploratory

I've found the writings of SWB, ED Hirsch, and Liping Ma to be most helpful to me in developing my own philosophy of (home) education, but I find that the posters on these boards are instrumental in helping to to fill in the myriad of details.

I think of the books as a bit like doctors or pediatricians. They tell you your child has the latestickium virus. However, it's the nurses (the board) that tell you how to deal with all the effluvium; how to manage your day-to-day life.:D

When I was first starting to hs and wondering if I was doing the right thing, Dumbing Us Down validated everything for me and I haven't looked back since.

Marty Layne wrote Learning At Home : A Mother's Guide To Homeschooling

I had read so many books with kids that were brilliant and gifted and graduating high school at 15 that my kids looked pretty dumb. Reading this book made me realize we were FINE and "normal" and not to compare to others. ;)

A sweet friend's well adjusted, bright children made me curious about homeschooling. I would see these sweet kids and think to myself, "She's doing something right."

She recommended that I read, "Educating the Wholehearted Child" and that hooked me on homeschooling.

TWTM has been a source that I refer to over and over. Once I decided to homeschool, TWTM educated me about HOW to do it!

The biggest influences on how I currently homeschool, and the four resources I would recommend every homeschooler read, are:

The Well-Trained Mind

Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics

The LCC website (I haven't read the book, but the less-is-more philosophy was a light-bulb moment for me)

The breadth vs depth thread :D

Jackie

The Having of Wonderful Ideas by Eleanor Duckworth -- on the importance of exploration, guessing, and messing about in science.

Critical Lessons by Nel Noddings -- crucial aspects of thought and life we usually omit from academics

And the Skylark Sings With Me by David Albert -- annoying as he can sometimes be, this book is great for moving away from the idea of homeschool as taking place on paper and from textbooks, even away from "alternate curricula," out into the larger community

Out of the Labyrinth: Setting Mathematics Free by Robert and Ellen Kaplan -- discusses the exploratory, collaborative nature of the original Math Circle, and takes math out of the purely computational, makes it exploratory

Thank you for reminding me that I have the Nel Noddings book! I think it got buried in a pile somewhere, I'll have to hunt for it.

I haven't read David Albert's books, but I used to be on a forum where he posted a lot and I've read his blog and other things he's written online. Knowing that his girls turned out to be exactly the sort of passionate, accomplished, successful adults he expected them to be, gave me a lot of inspiration to follow a more creative path with my own kids.

I'll have to check into the other 2 books as well!

Jackie

Real Learning by Elizabeth Foss made me want to foster gentleness and build relationship with my children (and made me wish I'd been baptised Catholic :D)

Actually that book and her blog started my conversion -- been Catholic for two years now. :001_smile:

Real Learning

Educating the Wholehearted Child

Moving a Puddle (I don't subscribe to pure unschooling, but the book was eye-opening in methods of using life to learn.)

Educating the Whole Hearted Child by Sally Clarkson and TWTM...

I read the Clarkson book before I began my homeschooling journey, right as I was making the decision to do so. It was a very sweet, nice introduction to the concept of homeschooling and helped me to wrap my brain around a different way for kids to learn.:001_smile:

Guest Cindie2dds

For me it's been Audrey. Without her generosity in answering all of my many questions, I wouldn't have had the courage to try the curricula that has completely transformed our homeschooling.

For SWB keeping this place open for everyone is a huge blessing!!

:iagree:plus it's almost book length. :D

LCC (1st and 2nd edition) - multiple light bulb moments. I reread them every year.

Dreamers, Discoverers, & Dynamos also known as The Edison Trait. Opened my eyes to the way dh, ds, and I learn.

I'm reading Critical Lessons right now. It's given me some good ideas.

And by default these forums, all of these books were recommended by forum members.

When my oldest was a toddler, I began reading TWTM, For the Children's Sake, several books on Montessori, Dumbing Us Down, http://www.amblesideonline.com in addition to several books on how/why to homeschool....I read a TON! (it was my escape from diapers and nursing;))

As I've actually gotten my feet wet in HSing, this forum has been invaluable!!! :iagree:

The teacher's manuals to certain currics have put the "meat" on the skeleton of my grand and glorious ideals(:tongue_smilie:). SWR and WRTR, Recipe for Reading, Miquon, Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics (not a curric, but...), and I'm sure the list will grow as my dc do.

Wow, hard to answer as there have been so many: the works of E. D. Hirsch; Diane Ravitch; John Taylor Gatto; Susan Wise Bauer (books and talks); Cafi Cohen; Inge Cannon (not books; talks); Michael Gurian.... and I'm sure I'm leaving out many others....

But over the longterm, on a daily/weekly basis, I'd have to say that these boards have provided a huge sum of information for me to sort, collate, summarize, and otherwise chew on for thought. I'm not sure what my hsing journey would have looked like without all the brainstorming that goes on here. I'm not sure I could even attempt to separate ideas that I've come up with alone from ideas that I've come up with because of things I've read here. So I think the general discourse here tends to be invaluable - at least for those of us who are sparked through brainstorming....

The book that led me to look at alternative educational models was Charles J. Sykes, "Dumbing Down Our Kids: Why American Children Feel Good About Themselves but Can't Read, Write or Add."

It's not a homeschool book, though he makes a very brief mention of homeschooling as a solution for some parents. He summarizes previous educational research and extrapolates where the trends are going. I first read the book in 1997, and it's disturbing how accurate some of his predictions have been.

Not about HS per se but very relevant to it:

Hold On to Your Kids by Gordon Neufeld and Gabor Mate

Einstein Never Used Flashcards by Kathy Hirsch-Pasek & Roberta Golinkoff

The Hurried Child and Miseducation: Preschoolers at Risk by David Elkind

Reclaiming Childhood: Letting Children be Children in Our Achievement-Oriented Society by William Crain

Alfie Kohn's books especially Punished by Rewards

HS/Education Books:

TWTM

The Well-Educated Child by William Bennett

The Paideia Proposal and sequels by Mortimer J. Adler

Climbing Parnassus by Tracy Lee Simmons

Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics by Liping Ma