Menu

Strange question....not sure where to post :(

simka2

I've been trying to wrap my head around some issues with my ds's8. There are many issues that could explain some of their behaviors from add to dyslexia. I'm pretty calm as a parent, but I also want to understand my kiddos :D

So, here is what happened: my son walked up to me with his math book and said "Mom!!! This book doesn't make sense!!!" Then really quietly, without really realizeing it he whispers "doesn't make sense." Like an echo.

I realize that this is something he and his brother have done quite a bit of the last couple years. Is this something I need to be concerned about? Or am I starting to see things everywhere? :)

I've been trying to wrap my head around some issues with my ds's8. There are many issues that could explain some of their behaviors from add to dyslexia. I'm pretty calm as a parent, but I also want to understand my kiddos :D

So, here is what happened: my son walked up to me with his math book and said "Mom!!! This book doesn't make sense!!!" Then really quietly, without really realizeing it he whispers "doesn't make sense." Like an echo.

I realize that this is something he and his brother have done quite a bit of the last couple years. Is this something I need to be concerned about? Or am I starting to see things everywhere? :)

Interesting, not sure on that one. We haven't experienced it before. Are they auditory learners? Auditory learners process things by hear them, so they are often talkers. It could be that they are just confirming it with themselves, but where we would do that silently they do it aloud because they are auditory. I suppose it might also be a sensory thing, if there are sensory issues present. Unfortunately once there is one LD there is a grater chance of there being more present and overlapping.

I do have all sorts of other things. Like my auditory learner and I (my oldest) will go back and forth on a word problem 3 times me trying to give her hints and such. Then when we finally sit down together and I read the problem aloud she can do it in 2 seconds flat. She just needed to hear it instead of read it. But will she read them aloud to herself? Nooooooo. :glare:

Here we all have times when we can just blank on something. Most commonly for me is names. In fact the longer I have known the person the more likely I will not be able to recall it when I go to introduce them to someone new. I am talking people I have known for 20 years. Anytime I feel put on the spot it could happen. Same with my kids. If they feel put on the spot to remember something it can evaporate. Like recently my oldest couldn't remember how to multiply fractions. Where these becomes important is in teaching. I still remember the day I was teaching my 2nd dd and this happened. She was 3rd grade. We had covered something new in math the day before and she had just got it. So I started to review it and it was gone. I kept walking down to simpler math concepts, ones she has known a while that this one was built on. She just couldn't remember. I finally asked her what 1+1 was and she couldn't tell me. That was when it dawned on me that she had recall issues with the first thing, and then panicked. The panic kept her from being able to recall anything else. We quit for the day and the next day she didn't have any recall problems at all. There are days you just need to give up are regroup on the next day.

We all do the flip thing and can either go the opposite direction as needed or like in math do the opposite operation even through we are thinking about it correctly. I have sewn things together the opposite way as well. Luckily this isn't a daily event but more like monthly.

Anyway, I hope you find an answer to this one.

Heather

Repeating can be an OCD or ticcy/Tourette's thing. I'd keep an eye out for tics, rituals, or repetitive/intrusive thoughs. If it's not interfering with anything, doesn't cause him distress, and there are no other unusual or concerning behaviors, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It might be a good idea to do some discrete questioning about intrusive/repetitive thoughts or worries.

Amy

Absent any other symptoms or concerns I would tell you to not worry about this AT ALL. My ds10 has been doing this since around age 7....I was so freaked out at first and did all kind of research....but what I found is that the term that another poster mentioned...Palilalia..I probably spelled that wrong..that tends to be repeating what OTHERS say. My son only repeats himself. Hardly anyone has ever noticed it without me pointing it out to them. It has decreased in frequency at time goes on and I am fairly certain he will totally outgrow it....my mom did notice my 18 year old nephew doing it the other day though...

Please don't worry. Oh and don't bring it to his attention or the attention of anyone else....that only makes it worse.

My brother and I both did this occasionally growing up. From what I remember, it was because I was sort of processing the ongoing conversation in my head while it was happening, and I'd get so wrapped up in my own thoughts that I'd say things out loud without realizing it. We both outgrew it and have no related problems now.

It's echolalia and my daughter with Asperger's used to do that. Have you ever watched The Middle? Funny show, but the younger kid, Brick, has echolalia and does it exactly like you described.

Ooops.. I guess it would be considered palilalia instead of echolalia.. Echolalia is when they repeat other people.. Both are considered signs of being on the spectrum (assuming other signs are there).

My ds6 just started this. He has a gamut of dx's (the biggest being FASD). I think he does it because his little brain is always going 90 miles an hour and it's his way of making sure he says what he wants to say :confused:

I love The Middle!!! Brick is so stinkin cute and many of his mannerisms remind me of my Boo :)