Menu

Question about introduction of dative in Latin for Children

nmoira

Yesterday I read on one of my mailing lists that Latin For Children does not introduce indirect objects until Year 3; so while the dative case is memorized with the others along the way, it isn't used in the first two years. Is this the case? The author of the post also thought it a bit strange that do, dare was introduced in the first chapter, since it is next to useless without an indirect object.

That's where you, as an instructor, come into play and fix what the program you use messed up - by teaching your children the full schemes right away. :)
I agree. However, I'm curious as to whether the author of the post is correct.

Moira, I'm bumping this for you because I'm really not qualified to answer your question. I haven't formally studied grammar since HS and that's been quite some time ago. :) We haven't completed LFC A but I do know that it doesn't introduce indirect objects in any of the grammar lessons. Chapter 1 does introduce do, dare, dedi, datum on the Memory Page. The memory chants of verbs always include present, infinitive, perfect, and passive participle. If you haven't already, you can view a sample of Ch. 1 online to see how it's laid out.

LFC A Sample Chapter

Each chapter's Memory Page is set up the same way as the one in the sample. It is my understanding that they want the student to memorize the 4 principle parts because they will use them later in their studies.

I have no idea if I helped at all but hopefully someone else with more knowledge and experience can give you a better answer.

Edited by tennismomkelly

Yes, as best as I can tell (and remember) the Dative case is introduced in LfC C chapter 2. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thank you. :001_smile: