Menu

What would you do to prepare

littlebug42

My oldest daughter, soon to be 9, informed me this week that as soon as she is old enough, she is interested in attending this new regional public school called a STEM school (science, technology, engineering, math). It will have 6th grade available in 2012 and she is in 4th grade now. I have always been committed to homeschooling through high school so I have had more of a long term plan for things but now if I am faced with her going into a B&M school in 2 (possibly 3) years, that changes the priorities somewhat. If you knew you would be preparing your child to enter such a school, what would you do now to help make the academic transition easier for her. I know that I have to speed up our plan for her writing skills, since that was on a slow plan but public schools have them on a much faster track for writing than I do.

Thanks for your input.

My oldest daughter, soon to be 9, informed me this week that as soon as she is old enough, she is interested in attending this new regional public school called a STEM school (science, technology, engineering, math). It will have 6th grade available in 2012 and she is in 4th grade now. I have always been committed to homeschooling through high school so I have had more of a long term plan for things but now if I am faced with her going into a B&M school in 2 (possibly 3) years, that changes the priorities somewhat. If you knew you would be preparing your child to enter such a school, what would you do now to help make the academic transition easier for her. I know that I have to speed up our plan for her writing skills, since that was on a slow plan but public schools have them on a much faster track for writing than I do.

Thanks for your input.

That's an awfully big decision for a 9 year old to make.:) I really wouldn't worry about it. If this is something that becomes your and your dhs decision then I would most likely get the coursework they are using for 6th and work my way backwards to where you are now, putting realistic goals in place.

That's an awfully big decision for a 9 year old to make.:) I really wouldn't worry about it. If this is something that becomes your and your dhs decision then I would most likely get the coursework they are using for 6th and work my way backwards to where you are now, putting realistic goals in place.

Actually, she's a very goal oriented child that really does not waiver. I really wasn't seeking advice on the decision but thank you for your input. I would rather prepare ahead of time and then in two years if things are different, we can just continue on. Any others?

I'd make sure her math skills are top-notch. Since we use Singapore, I would probably accelerate to finish the series before she entered school. I'm just assuming that a science, technology, and math school will probably have higher expectations for math skills. I might get dd's computer skills up to speed too. So far she hasn't had to use it much. We're working on typing this year and then I hope to look at some basic programs like Word and Excel. And schools around here push Power Point presentations, so I'd probably teach her that one too (or have dh do it since it is a prominent part of his work life). My dd has not showed a particular bent toward math/science/technology, but even so I'm toying with the idea of trying Lego robotics with her. If she actually came out and told me she wanted to go to this school in 6th grade, she would be getting the Lego Mindstorm robot kit for Christmas!

I think we're fine for science, but if you haven't been taking it seriously, you could address that in advance too. And targeting writing skills also sounds like a good idea.

I may be wrong, but the impression your post gives is that your daughter's idea about going to public school up ahead is possibly going to influence you to change your mind and your long-standing goal and commitment to homeschool your children. You may not have meant to come across this way, but that is how it comes across in your post and is why the other posted responded the way she did.

I'm just scratching my head here wondering if you would really allow your child to make such a critical decision at this young age, or if you are just "supposing" it might be the route you would agree to take. I want to ask, "Who is the parent here?", but before I jump to conclusions I thought I'd check to make sure I understand where you're coming from.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I am coming from a place where the public schools in my area are terrible - near worst in the state terrible. Our regular public school district will never be an option under nay circumstances. This new STEM school is a new entity in life so it was never considered before. It is affiliated with the university my husband works for and it has changed our options. I am not allowing my daughter to dictate her future but we are considering a now viable option for us. I was just asking how others would go about preparing her for such a possibility. I didn't realize I was putting our parenting decisions in question. Honestly, I am sorry I asked.

I appreciate the information that I have been given thus far.

I am coming from a place where the public schools in my area are terrible - near worst in the state terrible. Our regular public school district will never be an option under nay circumstances. This new STEM school is a new entity in life so it was never considered before. It is affiliated with the university my husband works for and it has changed our options. I am not allowing my daughter to dictate her future but we are considering a now viable option for us. I was just asking how others would go about preparing her for such a possibility. I didn't realize I was putting our parenting decisions in question. Honestly, I am sorry I asked.

I appreciate the information that I have been given thus far.

I totally understand. In my area, there are new charter/magnet schools opening every couple years. Our plans are not set in stone, if a great new school opened that was super interesting to one of my children, I would take a very good look.

Even if your DD doesn't end up going to that school, this could be a great path for the next couple years if her focus is math, science, etc.

I don't have any really helpful advice, just to say, "I understand".:grouphug:

That does make sense. Thanks for clarifying where you're coming from. I realize that everyone that homeschools has their own reasons for doing so, and plans certainly can change over time. Some of us have very strong opinions about it -- I know I sure do. Anyway, I meant no offense.

Best to you as you explore your options and prepare for your dc's future.

Blessings,

Lucinda

My dd is attending an excellent technology and science school after attending homeschool from the beginning through 8th grade. Technology is a part of every class. Having said that though--my dd said the thing that prepared her the most for this school was the ability to write. Technology is taught from square one. Students are coming into this school from homeschool, public schools, and private schools, so what they know about technology is not assumed.

The year before attending this school, my dd wrote one history paper a week--from one page to two pages depending on the topic. My dh mentored her writing several hours each week. She also did the writing in Rod and Staff English 7 and 8. She was then able to test into honors English. My dd told me that without that background, she would have drowned the first semester.

Work on writing. Make it age appropreate, but I do know that school children are expected to write much more often than most homeschooled children.

Also, my dd really had to work on time mangement. The first semester she spent hours on homework, not because too much was assigned, but because she didn't know how to make judgements about how to spend her time. It took a while for her to discern between how much time to spend on a 10 point project vs a 100 point project. Also, she soon became a pro at fitting in work during small pieces of spare time through out the day.

Isn't it exciting to have different options out there for our children?

Thanks everyone, truly. I should not have written my post yesterday as PMS is a terrible thing. To Pongo and Lucinda, I apologize for taking your words and concern in a spirit which they were not intended, I know.

Science is not a weakness of this child. She has been on a very sciency path from the beginning so this school may likely be a blessing to her and to me because science is one of my biggest weakness. I will definitely pump up the writing since we have been on a slower course and math, which tends to be her least favorite subject.

Thanks again to all of you.

I I was just asking how others would go about preparing her for such a possibility. .

As we neared the possibility of the boys going to school, I kept a closer eye on what schools did at each age. I started using some standard textbooks for subjects where scope and sequence were important: maths, science, languages.... As I knew they would have to do entrance exams, I made sure that they were well-prepared for the kinds of tests that they would have to take.

Best wishes

Laura (both sons starting school on Thursday)