Menu

How much independent work does your logic stager do?

How much independent work does your 5th-8th grader do?  

1. 1. How much independent work does your 5th-8th grader do?

• 0%
    • 10-20%
    • 30%
    • 40%
    • 50%
    • 60%
    • 70%
    • 80%
    • 90%
    • 100%

I guess it depends. Are we talking about what percent of subjects or what percent of actual clock time?

They don't have any subjects that they do completely independently, but they do have independent work in each subject area outside of our "class time." So I put 60%. That means that I am actively teaching or discussing 40% of the time, and they are doing work on their own based on that teaching or reading what they need for the next time we get together 60% of the time.

I checked 30% - for my 5th grader and 90% for my 6th grader. This is not based on age, but learning difficulties. All of my older kids were 80-90% independent by 6th grade except ds#3 who struggles with dyslexia.

I do have a "meeting time" for every subject with my more independent son. I learned the hard way that sometimes too much independence allows things to fall through the cracks.

Also, both of my logic stagers have me for a composition class at co-op, so that could count as more face to face time even though there are other students there.

I think the difference between 5th and 8th is huge, from just starting to be working independantly and responsibly to being if not 100% independant then at least 100% responsible by the end of 8th grade.

For me being independant means that you work on your own. So my 5th grader might do his math workbook pages independantly, but we did the text pages together and I was the one that initiated math. I also herded him to the school room at school time and I gathered up the books and supplies when we work out of the house (and often even when we are working here :glare:).

Being responisble means that you take a part in making sure school gets done, even if we do it together. I don't have to herd my 10th grader to start school in the morning, by the time I get the 4 younger ones dressed, teeth brushed, breakfast done and picked up- she has already done all of that for herself and is working on something she can do independantly.

She keeps track of what she has done and what still needs to be done for the week, often leaving some reading or research for the weekend, but still getting it all done. She also packs up her own things when we are schooling somewhere out of the house.

A big one here is being ready to cheerfully work with me when I am available. This is huge. Being ready to switch to writing if I have the time now, even if she is reading or doing math, and doing it cheerfully is a huge help for me.

My 5th grader is about 50% as I teach for a bit, but then she goes off to finish and grade her work. We meet in the afternoons.

My 7th grader does about 90% solo, with a block teaching day, once a week, so the other 4 days, we only meet to check progress and help with problem areas. This pace was less for her brothers when they were in 7th grade. She really is a diligent person as a whole.

By end of 8th, everybody should be at about 90%, so when they're in high school, we have discussions, but I don't teach much more than lectures and sit with them when watching DVDs for a variety of subjects.

We have no learning difficulties, so I really do have it easy.

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

I put 80% on his own, but that is after I've gone over his assignment sheet (in detail) each day so that he is completely aware of what he's responsible for. At the end of each day, I check the work for completeness, organization, etc

I'm strongly of the opinion that kids need teachers and that it's unreasonable to expect them to totally go on their own. This includes programs that are supposed to be "independent" like TT, SOS, etc. I've heard too many stories about Moms who've given a 'very responsible' 7th grader an independent program, only to find out at Christmas that only a few lessons have been completed. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: mine work independently, but we must meet daily or we'll be crying come Dec., too. Unfortunately, I learned that the hard way!

This year we are transitioning to even more independence. Dd 13/8th will take all her classes either online with TPS and with local classes/tutor. Even CD Alg is done independently with her correcting daily work.

I oversee everything, read essays, check math tests. Her accountability, in terms of grading, will be to her teachers. Her work ethic is overseen by dad & mom.

If work isn't done before a class, she loses privileges (no youth group, sleep-overs, etc). For instance, if her last chapter of CD Prealg isn't done by next Saturday, she spends her last weekend of summer finishing up.

Other than that, she manages her own schedule. She does schoolwork at 11 PM often. I let her have real-life consequences to her time-management choices.

I voted 30% for my 5th grader, but I wanted to note that this number is theoretical at this point. We are starting school next week (hopefully! still waiting on one important curriculum shipment) and this is what I have planned based on how she did for 4th, and how much I think she is capable of this year. This is a pretty big jump, because I think she can handle the challenge of doing more work independently now. I think the amount of independent work will ramp up considerably over the next few years - at least that is my hope! I suspect she needs to be about 80-90% independent by high school.