Menu

Felt board for Bible stories?

staceyobu

Yep - do it on the cheap...you can get felt cheaply at any fabric store (especially if you have a 40% off coupon), and attach it to some foam core board. We used them for more than just Bible stories. We had a ton of activities we'd make for the felt board - math projects, literature studies. Just attach the loop side of some hook and loop tape to the back of something and it sticks to the felt! Doing characters from literature stories (like Very Hungry Caterpillar) was a great way for my little guys to participate in the story by acting out what they were hearing me read to them.

We've used one for years. The feltboard I made myself, but no, I couldn't have made up 600+ figures of this quality by myself. I just got the small basic set. We use it for so much more thant Bible stories, too; the kids like to re-enact myths and fables with it.

You don't need to buy the board, the additional backgrounds, or the filing system (labeled ziploc bags in a milk crate file them just fine).

I like it. :001_smile:

We love our felt board. I used it alot in the preschool stage...but that's just because I haven't scheduled anything new to use this year for my middler.

However, I too made my own felt board. It was super easy. I went to Goodwill and got one of their used LARGE pictures/ruined cork boards they had marked for a couple dollars. That way it was sturdy. I covered it with felt and hotglued it onto the frame and hung it up :) Now it's big and sturdy!

Used sets come available on ebay occasionally. I've been checking lately because I'm getting ready to sell mine on ebay. For the used Betty Lukens 600 piece set with several felt boards, a manual, and a file box, you'd probably pay around $70-$100 plus shipping. (I'm talking about the 6 inch set, not the jumbo 12 inch figures) Honestly? I'd buy one used rather than new. For one thing, the felt figures are very durable and don't really suffer from "wear and tear", so a used set is not a disadvantage at all. The biggest reason to buy one used, though, is all the cutting you'd have to do if you bought it new. That alone makes me think people should be willing to pay more for a used, pre-cut set. I spent hours, and hours, and hours cutting those 600 pieces. Then they sat there, mostly unused (except for the Sunday School class we were teaching at the time) for several years. The thought of making my own set makes me twitch. Ugh!!! I'm not crafty at all, and I could never come up with the variety included in a Betty Lukens set.